Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Next step up from Brice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Disclaimer: I will probably never act upon the information I'm asking for- that being said, what would be the next step up(in quality)from a Brice? I'm interested specifically in fretless 6 strings; no other rules.

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Probably a Dean Edge Fretless 6. It'd be easy to put in better pickups and get it sounding sweet.

-Eric.

3. I want it wide.The couple of Deans I've played were not bad, though. They certainly look nice.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean Edge fretless 6. MusicYo Toby 6.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Guess a lot depends on what you mean by "next step up" ... I'm sort of having a similar problem myself. I have a Brice 6 and now need to get a 6 fretless, but would like to upgrade. Problem is, for me all of the next step up choices are really no better than the Brice (which BTW I really, really like) ... Dean, Yamaha (excluding the Pattitucci sig), Peavey (excluding the Cirrus) etc all seem like they offer no better quality than the Brice ... at this point, I may just end up with another Brice fretless 6 (specifically thinking about the Prestice Z).

I will likely be ordering a new fretless 6 within the next year or so from one of the builders (really liking Jerzy Drozd), so I didn't want to go too deep into the pocket right now (was thinking between $1000-$1500). But the value has to be way better than the Brice and I'm just not seeing that from Dean, Yamaha, Peavey etc. Wish I could find a nice Conklin fretless 6 in that range :help:

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    In that price range, Carvins aren't a bad choice.

7. Pointbass, from someone who spends way too much time looking at & pricing out -of-reach basses, there is no such thing as a $1,000-$1,500 Jerzy Drozd, or I'd have it. For not too much more than that though, I would suggest Stambaugh. I have a fretted 6, that's why I can't afford a fancy-schmancy fretless(I'm no pro & can't quite justify what I have!).
    So you really think Brices compare that well w/Yamaha? I know the(Yam)electronics stink, but the TRB-5II I had was nice otherwise.

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, I know :bawl: I guess my post wasn't clear, I only want to spend the $1000-$1500 now .... the Jerzy I'm planning on is in the $5K+ range.

[QUOTE = bassteban]I would suggest Stambaugh.[/QUOTE]

I have almost no experience with Stambaughs, only played one once for a very short time, did seem nice though ....

[QUOTE = bassteban]So you really think Brices compare that well w/Yamaha? I know the(Yam)electronics stink, but the TRB-5II I had was nice otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I have been able to do extensive side-by-side comparisons between the Brice Z6NT and the Yamaha's. Aside from the Pattitucci and Myung sigs, I actually think the Brice is better than the rest of the line ..... keep in mind that I'm only talking about the Brice Z series basses, not the HBX's or others.

9. I'm sure I've spent more than 5k over the years, just not on one bass. I really like the looks of Jerzys, though. If you go to Luthiers Access, there's a picture of my Stambaugh. It's in one of the galleries- Afzelia top, singlecut w/6 knobs.
    That's intriguing(about the Z-6)- it seemed to me they didn't do the specific combination of features(34", unlined)I want, though. When I have money, I'll look deeper. Thanks for the info.
    I think it's an unwritten rule that any new bass costing over $2,000 must have pictures posted ASAP. Please comply if & when you get a Jerzy Drozd.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Check out a Cort Curbow 6. Has the Korean Bart pickup & preamp and is quite well made. The fretboard is, I think, ebonol? Very nice for fretless.

You may or may not like the composition of the body or the overall balance of the bass itself, however. Those two factors ultimately caused me to trade my fretted version away.

11. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Although it's not listed on their web page, they do carry a Z6 bolt-on unlined fretless, but it is a 35" scale. I've only seen it in the blue (like the fretted one shown on their page) and a red .... my only question about that bass is the quality of the fingerboard. It looks nice, but I wonder whether it will wear properly. For sure, roundwounds will tear it up. It just seems to be soft to the touch, so I kind of wonder if the flats will mess it up as well. I need to get to Rondo and mess with it some more.

:D Isn't it the unwritten rule that any bass, even a true POS, needs the pics? But don't hold your breath, I'm at least a year away from ordering .... probably will have to go through LAG to order, I guess .....

BTW, the Stammie looks extremely cool :cool:

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The problem I have with Carvin 6 strings is the incredibly narrow fretboard. From looking at it, it looks like 6 strings on a 5-string fretboard.

13. But that means I'm 2 or 3 basses behind.

And thanks- my bass is way cooler than me.

14. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    That has been my issue with all of the Cort's .... really not a comfortable fit for my inordinately large size :scowl:

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This has been my experience as well with the ones I've played. In fact, a friend of mine ultimately converted his Carvin from a 6 to a 5 for this very reason.

Granted, to each his/her own and some like narrow, but that is a factor that should be considered.

16. Yeah, I make do w/my Rebop 5, but if I get a 6 I want at least as wide as that & prefer wider(19mm/3/4").

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Brices are the only non-custom sixers besides Warwick that I've seen that have string spacing that would actually make the bass playable for me. And I'm pretty sure I would never want a Warwick. So Brice is the man :p Even though I don't have mine yet . . .

18. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, the Yahama's have pretty decent spacing ... I need it wide, as well, and that wasn't an issue for me when looking at the Yamaha's. My only complaint with the TRB's is that you're paying a (relatively significant) higher price than you are for the Brices and the re-sale isn't worth s*it, plus the bass isn't built any better (IMO) than the Brice Z series, so what's the point? And the Warwick bodies are just too skimpy for my fat *ss :eyebrow: