Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Next step up recomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Logans Dad, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    A couple years ago, I got this crazy idea to buy a bass at the age of 37. I didn't want to waste a bunch of money if it turned out that I either didn't like playing, or couldn't learn, so I bought a Squier MB-4 and the EMedia beginner bass computer study program. It's the only bass I've ever played, and the only instruction I've ever had.

A couple months ago, I started playing with our worship team at church and I'm loving it. I'm still not very good . . . mainly just playing chord roots with a small walk up/down now and then, but being pushed to practice for every weekend has really helped me improve much faster.

I'm starting to feel like it's time for an upgrade in my bass. Of course I want to become a better player, but I have no desire to expand my public playing beyond contemporary praise music on Sunday mornings and at home for my own enjoyment. I'm not even sure how to describe the tone I'm looking for unless it's just pure, deep (warm?) bass with good sustain.

So, I'm looking for recomendations for something with a nice clean, deep tone, "easy to play", and good sustain. As far as looks, I prefer a natural wood body with no pick guard.

In lurking here for a while, I've been hearing that Lakland's are pretty nice and a 44-01 at just under $700 is probably the maximum I could justify to spend right now. I also think the Ibanez 500 with the mahogany body looks really nice too but it seems Ibanez is both loved and hated here. I do want to buy new rather than used. Also, if it makes a difference, I'm playing through a Crate BX100 amp.

Out here in central Nebraska, music shops are far between so I think I'll just have to order from MusiciansFriend and If I find I totally hate what I get, use their return policy.

So, given that, I'd appreciate any recomendations would you have for that $500-700 dollar area to fit the style I'm looking for, and the kind of music I'll be playing.

Thanks! :)

2. I think you could get a used Peavey Cirrus for around $700. IMO, the best bass you can get for the buck!

They pop up now and then in the "For Sale" forum, do a search and I'm sure you'll find something!

3. Hmm, someone will probably come in and suggest something better, but meanwhile, if I were in your position I'd consider a suped up SX

4. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Used Carvin.

5. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Wow, you have ALOT of options. You really need to figure out what you like to play. It maybe worth the drive up to the nearest music store, even if that means 2 hours. Honestly, it doesn't seem like you're to picky of a player. So ebay can be your friend. Basses i've seen/love/gas for at the price of under 700 (used) are...

MIA (Made in america) Fender Jazz or Precision- ebay will lead the way
    Marcus miller Re-issue (fender)- ebay again
    Geddy lee jazz- ebay again
    (if you can't tell i like jazz basses)
    Other styles....
    Spector NS2000 is great for the price, and i believe you can get a neck thru for fairly cheap.
    Music Man SUB- stingray on a bugdet, you may even be able to find a MM stringray on the 'bay.

If you want a more "budget" friendly bass.
    MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender Jazz- Meh... there ok i own two. Cheap and playable, definatly worth the extra $$ for the american though.
    Ibanez (dare i say it, but if you're on a budget, i guess...)
    Peavy Fury, heard some great things about these basses, really wana try another out.

Possibilites are endless!

6. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Carvin: I'm also looking at the Carvin bass kit. I'm a wood finisher by trade so I think I could finish up one of those kits pretty nicely. From what I've found by searching the forums they play and sound pretty good too. I called and asked them if they could substitute a curly maple body in the kit. They said they could for an extra $200.

ebladeboi123: Yes, you are right that there A LOT of options and I don't really know what I want. That's part of the problem . . . too many options. That's why I was asking for suggestions, but I suppose that asking 20 different players will result in 20 different answers to the "best" bass in that price range.

Suped up SX: I'm sorry if I've missed it, but is there an online guide somewhere listing all the best things to do to the SX and where to get the parts?

Thanks again!

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i love to see a guy at age of 35 or 40 or even in the 50,s taking a instrument for the first time in his life..congratulations. :)

8. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Again- to sup up a SX, you have ALOT of options.
    New necks- New electronics - new brigde.
    ABM Bridge- 135 (rougly)
    Demeter pre- 188 shipped (just bought one, hopefully it'll be nice)
    bartolini 9j pups- 110 (should be like sex with the demeter)
    Tuners: Gotoh or w/e - 40
    New pickguard (gotta pimp the pearloid)- 25
    Neck (meh, not really important to "sup" up since the SX's are nice) 250-578 (375 = moses graphite- around 578 = status graphite warmoths can run around 250)
    So you're looking at putting about 488 w/o the neck. And you can find all these items used, or use cheaper variations, this is just how my Jazz is. So you'd have to buy the 110 jazz- and throw 490 into it. I would say do this actually. Then get a new neck eventually. (warmoth, moses or status). Then get a new body (warmoth)- and BAM you have a high end bass. And you can do it all over time. The neck and body would be around 750 if you do it custom and what not. Or if you buy it from them with no finish, you could do it for around 600-500.

9. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Yamaha BB614 for around $450. Sounds AMAZING

[​IMG]

10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    strongly agree and the BB414 sounds good too

11. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, I actually prefer the BB414 as well, but he was looking for a natural bass.

12. Hey, I took up the bass at 51, keeps the brain young. All of the suggestions have been good. I would highly recommend you check out the G&L Tribute L2000. Sells new for under 600 and is extrememly versatile. Comes in natural with either rosewood or maple fretboard.
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/51/511123.t.jpg

13. ebladeboi123 already made some pretty good suggestions in regards to the SX, personally I wouldn't change the neck though, perhaps a home done fret job would suffice, similar to a SX upgrade thread around here recently, post by jive1 if i recall correctly. That thread if you can find it, (I couldn't :p ) should give several good ideas on how one can viola- upgrade an SX. If I were to get an SX however, things I'd look into first would probably be a set of nostrandts(sp) and electronics to match, follwed by a fret job and cheap cosmetic overhaul(pickguard, knobs, tuners, bridge maybe). Either ways, as everyone has suggested so far, you have a lot of options, post whichever you buy :D

14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    My first choice would be the Spector. For the price range that you are wanting that is an awesome buy. I would also strongly recommend the Yamaha and definitely look at what Schecter has out. The best idea would be go to a Guitar Center or other well stocked music store and play a bunch until you find one that you like. You can get a whole lot of bass these days for under $700.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    As somewhat of a beginner, buying a cheap bass and modding it is a big mistake. By the time you get done modding it, you could have taken all that money and gotten a stock Fender MIA bass that would blow the modded cheap one away.

I have this idea that I know sounds stupid to most people on Talkbass, but here it is...if you don't know what or why you're modding your bass, maybe you should leave it alone. This is the most mod-happy bunch I've ever seen in my life. You REALLY want to mod your bass? Take all the hours you'd spend modding your bass and practice. That's better than any equipment mod you can do to a bass.

You like your Squier but you want to move up a level or two? I agree with the guy who said go on Ebay and look for a nice used MIA Fender. That's how I got my Jazz Bass, and for $510 + $80 for a fret dressing, I now own the best bass I've ever played, bar none.

16. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry...that was a little harsh what I said about modding. So I apologize if I offended anyone. But I still stand by it.

18. JimmyM has a point I guess, whatever floats your boat, your referring to the prospective buyer, it just so happens that I'm a closet fan of placebo, or perhaps I'm just an anal retentive detail oriented guy :p

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Well Jimmy, I've agreed with you before on this, and I'll second your views again. I'm not opposed to modding at all -- I've changed pickups in two of my basses and one of my guitars. But I think it's only worthwhile when you have an instrument with excellent playability that you want to keep, and have a clear objective with the modification.

So I think it's usually a mistake to start a bass search with the goal of finding a cheap one to modify. But if you happen upon, say, a MIM Fender that plays like butter and sounds good acoustically, it might not be a bad idea to buy it, recognizing that pickups and hardware can be replaced down the line if necessary.

20. Like others have said, Carvin and Peavey Cirrus are worth a look. However, you might consider upgrading your amp too. A bass sounds only as good as the amp it's playing through. Your Crate is definately going to be a limiting factor.

Oh, and if you suddenly happen upon about $2k, check out the Zon Sonus. Fits everything you described.