Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Next time bring your own sound guy.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by deluxeg, Oct 13, 2002.

1. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    Yesterday Oct 12th, my fairly new band opened for a band called the Buzz Poets at a local club. I don't know how many people have heard of them but they are fairly well known. They won the national Ernie Ball BotB a few years back.

Anyway, the Buzz Poets hired a sound company they usually work with to run the sound and bring equipment since the clubs sound system is a little lacking. Before the show we agreed that we would use our own drums and guitar amps, and I would be using the Buzz Poets bass amp. (An Eden Navigator pre-amp run through the power section of an Ampeg SVT-4 and one Ampeg 410-HLF) So they miked up our stuff and shortly after we began to play our set.

At first I thought I didn't unmute the amp because I couldn't hear my bass at all, and I didn't want to touch any of the knobs since it wasn't my amp. It was on though since I could hear it when I hit a string between songs. So I played through the best I could. I also noticed that I couldn't hear vocals. So we finish our set and everybody says they had trouble hearing anything but the drums and the vocals from one mic. Then the buzz poets go on and they have a great mix you could hear everything perfectly.

Has anything like this ever happend to you when opening for other bands? And, do you think that the sound guys just didn't care since we were just an opening act. Thanks for listening to me vent, hopefully our next gig will be a more positive experience.

2. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    been there, done that - and bought the cheap t-shirt.

Sorry, my brotha.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, happens all the time.

Once in a blue moon, you'll go to a concert to see a big name recording band as the main act and there's an unknown local band as the warm-up act. All of a sudden within the first 4 bars of their first song, you realize that the warm up band is going to blow away the main act.

4. I hate when people do that. Somebody acually rigged there amp like that and made us sound crappy. Sore losers is what they are. We got to try again though and we end up kicking their ass it was all good in the end. Dumbasses!! :mad: