Ney buckeye burl Spector- like it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Aug 28, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I was browsing Spector's site teh other day and noticed that Stu is now offering the USA NT
    NS-5XL in walnut with a buckeye burl top. Quite a different look from the rest of the spectors out there I must say, but ti doesn't look bad at all, and on teh plus side, its a few pounds lighter for all those who don't like the hefty maple and ash Spectors. :D

Yay or Nay??
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I like it! This is defintley a step away from what they normally do. I'm interested in trying it out.
    It's funny how Buckeye Burl has become the trendy wood that everyone is using now. I can just see it, Fender will be doing a Buckeye Custom soon.
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Looks good...maybe one day...:meh:
  6. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    now that's a one handsome bass!.............but maybe except this reddish fingerboard, though - never liked that so much. dunno how it looks in reality
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i agree that im also not fond of the red fingerboard.
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I normally think buckeye burl is HIDEOUSLY fugly (so many of them simply look as if they've been splattered with vomit and I would be fearful of being seen on stage with one), but I do like the look of that one.

The dark stain mutes the effect nicely so that its inherent ugliness is nicely masked.
  9. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I played that at NAMM... this guy walks up to me and I talk to him for a while... say thanks and as Im leaving, my wife says that mans last name was Spector... hmmm... DOH!!!
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Definitely yay. It's about time Spector got into the exotic tops market-flame and quilt maple have been far from "it" for years now.
  11. *thinks of that bass with an ebony fingerboard...*

12. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine

Me want.
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I feel exactly the same way.
  14. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I like, alot.

But I think if I do get one I would get the Quilted Maple.
  15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I wonder how he made it? I was under the impression that Burl was a soft and light wood. That would work OK for a 1/4" top, but the classic Spector design demands solid hunks of wood for the body wings. A top is tough for a Spector because that design also is a concave body.

I've only seen a buckeye burl bass onstage a couple of times. IMO, They're hideous from any more than 10 feet away, but it's in the eye of the beholder. Burl makes for stunning knife handles, pens, and tables, though.
  16. Zillium

May 27, 2003
    I like it, I'd like it more if the top was not interrupted by the neck.

17. Yup, normally how I feel about it! But that is really nice actually!

Very nice! Although I must admit I recently saw 2 natural finish US Spectors (a 4 and a 5) with Quilted that is what I'd get!
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000