NFBD New Fretless (Sixer) Bass Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Standalone, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I’m very happy with this SRF706! It manages to sound huge through the little Ibanez Troubador amp in my front room. Can’t wait to take it up to the studio and out on a gig.

This is the right sixer for me. My Tune was too widely spaced and my MIJ SR 886 didn’t quite have the tones I wanted. This is also my first fretless (DB notwithstanding) that wasn’t a defret and the difference is clear.

A357DE22-A7B3-42EF-BB14-B2F3C54DC6A1.jpeg 36BEF03F-B8B4-4B40-8CA2-069D78F40E56.jpeg 7AB14531-77D3-47D4-BB82-4014CD27448B.jpeg

Ajihad. This Bass case was immediately Azi approved.
    87781126-6128-41CA-B894-173CD8C16370.jpeg

Aidil, MrLenny1, Baa and 18 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it's beautiful! and my hat is off to you for being able to play all of those strings! :D that it's a better fit for you is the bomb --- congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup: glad you cats are happy with the case, too!

what about that difference? asking for a friend who might want to do a de-fret in the near future.

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have a sort of roughly defretted Korean Ibanez EX404 and it has a punchy expressiveness that I LOVE. My 1977 Silver series Jazz has the slightest roughness at the lines. It plays great and I get all kinds of compliments.

They have a more raw tone because of the tiny variation in smoothness. I could correct it of course. But this pristine board invites different playing style. I want to do some expressive modern prog type reverb/delay sweetened work with this… it just invites that refinement.

But I rock out with my other less refined fretless basses and love them.

My EX404

My Silver Series Jazz

4. JRA

i get it, and a "pristine" board would make a difference, then. glad you're having that experience! ;)

and the music on your de-frets = all good, @Standalone --- very nice! i didn't listen to the albums in their entirety, but i caught a half dozen foot tappers, you guys are jammin'! and the live performance of you guys is great --- way fun! :thumbsup:

Standalone likes this.
  5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Thanks man. That first album was a “oh crap the gig got cancelled for rain, let’s livestream a set and stick a zoom in the room and record it” It came out pretty ok. That bass was $80!

JRA likes this.
  6. JRA

:laugh:

perfect! :thumbsup:

Standalone likes this.
  7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    If the cat loves it, it is a keeper. Now enjoy and have fun with it... :thumbsup:

Standalone likes this.
  8. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I really wanna try one of these. I figure if I'm gonna try six I might as well go fretless. Looks awesome!

FretlessTodd and Standalone like this.
  9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    The fretless sound really suits work on that high C string.

My previous sixes:
    320691FF-0056-45DC-9E2C-A4AEF32B6042.jpeg

7C883BBD-6A8A-42ED-BDE1-48B3CA8D5112.jpeg

Lujon and PrinceByTor like this.
  10. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Nice bass, congrats!

I just got that exact bass and can't stop playing it. I'm pleasantly surprised by it's balance, light weight and playability. I'm getting some good sounds out of it too.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Standalone likes this.
  11. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Yes! It’s a very musical bass at various settings of the pickups and tone controls.

The “just can’t put it down” feeling is my experience too!

red_bassist likes this.
  12. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Very nice! I wish more companies would make unlined fretless fingerboards that have both the lines and dots on the side - it's the best of both worlds, IMHO.

Standalone likes this.