1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NFL 2017-18 Week #22 Superbowl LII

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I still got NE. Went 2-0 guessing the Conference Champions. Would like to see Philly win, just don't think it'll happen.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Pats

Passinwind, TOOL460002 and Rodent like this.
  3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I think the Iggles defense is up to the challenge in a dome on a fast field. I think this team is better coached than the Jags or the Titans. There wont be silly penalties due to knuckleheads losing their cool.

I think Ertz presents a real challenge to the Pats secondary but Trey Burton is equally dangerous and has 5 TD's on the year. That's Pat's esque production from 2 tight ends.

Alshon Jeffery is showing some chemistry with Fowles that he didn't seem to find with Wentz this year.

Jay Ajayi might get more carries but I look for LaGarrette to run angry. That will be an interesting sub story to watch. Blount knows the Pats very well.

Pederson is a maverick. The dude goes for it on 4th and 6.

Bottom line for me is that the Eagles have overcome more and have bonded because of that. The pressure is off of them again. Being underdogs in every game of the play-offs and the Superbowl just galvanized them. The Pats will make few mistakes and will be precise but I think the Eagles will have just a little easier time moving the ball and will get just a little more pressure on the QB. That slight edge will give them a win in a close superbowl.

IMO

Nedmundo and Febs like this.
  4. Okay, at least I was right about SOMETHING this season (besides how predictably pathetic Denver was), so Imma brag...
    I expect the Eagles to play well, but alas, the Patriots just beat a team with similar skills; able to put up points, stout punishing defense. It's just not enough. If they can take the Jags, they can take the Eagles. Probably in the 4th quarter (not much of a stretch there).

5. Funky Ghost

The Pats beat a team that was too afraid to play. 55 seconds and the Jags take knees to close out the half? I knew they were done then.

The Eagles just shut down two good offenses and scored on two good defenses to the tune of 53-17. The Pats ran over a doormat in the Titans and beat a Jags team that the pundits had more faith in than the coaching staff for the team.

It's gonna be interesting to watch.

6. And if the Eagles lose we'll have the power of hindsight to nitpick and second-guess all their decisions too. ;)

I wouldn't say NE played a perfect mistake-free game yesterday either. Some iffy play calling and missed plays along the way.

Putting the ball in play for big yards and risk turning it back over to Brady and Co. with time on the clock? That would give pause to even the best teams in the NFL.

Since this is pure speculation, and since they're being compared to the "brave" Eagles who squeaked in a field goal to end a half, I'll give the Jags 3 points for the "botched" kneel down to end the first half. Final Score: 24-23. Jags D got soft in the second half.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    GregC and Funky Ghost like this.
  7. Gaolee likes this.
  8. Funky Ghost

I actually thought the Pats played good games both times. They beat teams they should have ultimately imo.

55 seconds is an eternity in the NFL. The Jags held a slim lead and refused to rise to the occasion to try and put it further away. They didn't trust their offense and they didn't trust their defense. Even if the Pats scored the Jags had the kick off to start an entire other half of football.They blew it with that call. It made zero tactical sense. They didn't deserve to win and didn't. The Defense did get soft, amazingly so. To add fuel to the conspiracy folks I think that the abhorrent call on A.J. Bouye led to the tucked tail mentality. That was a 31 yard gift ( strictly imo ) That lead to a TD.

Still if you want to get to the big show you need to play with what is given to you. The Pats did, the Jags hid.

9. All good points, and I agree it would have been great football drama to see the Jags try for points on the board with 55 seconds to go. It is the "go big or go home" winner mentality.

But I don't understand how you can be so sure they would have scored a touchdown. Conservative play calling would more likely get them a field goal (if that), and as you can see it wouldn't have changed the outcome of such a close game, the kind NE is notorious for winning. Worst case: They take a risk, get sloppy, and give the ball back to Brady with time on the clock.

Honestly, you want to beat NE in the post season, you had better go into halftime or 4th quarter about 21 points ahead, and even then NE can come back on you.

You know the old football maxim: If a game comes down to one bad call or one missed opportunity, they didn't really have it under control well enough to win. Even a field goal for JAX to end the first half would not have overcome a soft D, the NE effort, and 14 Patriots points in the 4th.

If anything, I blame penalties, the soft D, and Danny Amendola playing like his ass was on fire in the 2nd half. Shelving 3 points? Yeah, not very bold, but not a game-loser, in this case anyway.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  10. Funky Ghost

Not sure. In fact I'll concede they likely wouldn't have but they should have gone for it. You play to win not to not lose, if that makes sense? I don't know it just struck me the wrong way brutha :) I completely agree that you need to have a good lead because no lead is safe with them. 4 points is a big ask for any defense to defend. I bet the defense was less than pleased about that knee too. The only ones that were happy about it were the Pats.

electracoyote likes this.
  11. I'll reiterate my earlier point and give you this much: It would have been the Big Boy Pants thing to do, and might, just maybe, have sparked a little more momentum for the Jags going into the second half, even if no points resulted. A little intangible like that could have made a difference.

dangnewt and Funky Ghost like this.
  12. My seat on the Pats band wagon is still warm so I'll just keep sitting there. They can be down 2 TDs with 5min left and they won't flinch. And ya, I still hate them for the tuck rule game. I'm no fan, but it just looks like a clear pats win.

Next year I want gruden to have another chance at new England and come out on top. If the raiders can miraculously be the number 2 seed, maybe it'll happen. Cuz the Pats will likely be the number 1.

Also is Gronk out for good or will the guy finally be able to play in a superbowl?

13. Funky Ghost

He looked pretty gonzo after the hit. "Wow.Wow.Wow." and wobbly. That isn't ideal.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The Vikings find themselves in an interesting spot. I wonder if they'll keep all three QB's around going into training camp next season.
    I see Arizona has a new coach now too.

-Mike

15. Vikings certainly have a wealth of riches at present. I can't see them keeping more than two QBs, but they'll have to step up. I just checked and it appears that Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum are all free agents. I may be wrong about Bridgewater - he may have 2018 still on his contract.

16. Funky Ghost

I could swear I read a quote today where Keenum said he and Bridgewater had no idea if they were coming back to Minn. or not.

GregC likes this.
  17. We'll take one of them here in Denver. Not picky, any one will do.

18. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Have I mentioned what I hope the Eagles do to Brady? No? Well, lemme tell ya...

twelvetrombones likes this.
  19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The NFL is so QB-starved that I can't see any way the Vikings will pay to keep all three. I'd try to keep Keenum and Bridgewater. Bradford is made of glass.

MJ5150 likes this.
  20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    The darn things in my backyard, probably wont even watch, could care less who wins. I hope the Vikes keep Keenum and Bridgewater as well, Bratford did a fine job but he does seem to be injury prone and Teddy is still pretty young

Gaolee, GregC and MJ5150 like this.