1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NFL 2017 Week #16

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Pack officially out of the playoffs for the 1st time in 8 years.

Pack/Minny
    Will he or won't he?
    I hope they give the last 2 games to Hundley. No sense whatsoever risking injury to Rodgers.

Vike 37 Pack 19

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Todd Gurley II sets a new NFL record when he combines 450 rushing yards and 200 receiving yards for 8 Touchdowns.

In the first half.

The Titans come out for the second half wearing velcro belts with flags on them in an attempt to ease the pain of a Wade Phillips orchestrated ass kicking. Wade simply laughs and takes their lunch money then gets medieval on their butts.

Stick a fork in them, they're done.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Anyone wanna buy the Panthers?

-Mike

4. Funky Ghost

The Oakland Panthers . . .

fretter, Gaolee and mrpackerguy like this.
  5. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Read where P-Diddy wants to buy the Panthers so he can sign Kaepernick. <smh>
    Um, you do know you already have a fellow named Newton behind center? Who happens to be doing a pretty darn good job back there already. But hey, it's your money.

The Cards need to win their final two to avoid a losing season. Sometimes going 8-8 is a victory in itself after a crappy season full of key injuries. While they could beat the Giants I don't see them getting by Seattle in Seattle in week 17. (But if they play down to their competition in week 16 then week 17 don't matter anyway.)

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    For the first time since 2006, and only the third time since the NFL merger in 1970, the favorites went 14-0 last week in the NFL.
    Why not 16-0 you ask? LAR/SEA and LAC/KC were pick 'em games, meaning no line.

-Mike

7. Funky Ghost

I get the LAC/KC pick 'em . KC hadn't really got back into a groove but had all the pieces and LAC were in a groove but were due to return to form. I DON'T get the LAR/SEA one though. LAR were clear favorites imo.

MJ5150 likes this.
  8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    San Diego Panthers

9. Funky Ghost

The San Diego football "fan" base is so apathetic towards the game. Oakland deserves a team. San Diego barely noticed when theirs left.

MJ5150 likes this.
  10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    To be fair, he didn't say he wanted to buy them just so he could sign Kap, and he said he'd bring him in for "competition" vs. Newton. I'm no Cam fan, but I'm sure he would win that competition. But if anything is clear in the NFL, it's that you need a decent backup, and I'd argue that Kap is still better than most NFL backups.

Chris Fitzgerald and Gaolee like this.
  11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    ESPN is jumping all over the Jacksonville bandwagon, asking if they are now the team to defeat New England.

-Mike

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I just saw that along with a piece on the "suddenly dominant" Blake Bortles.. I'd love to see them beat NE, but no. The Steelers are the only AFC team with a chance, IMO, and that chance isn't great. Now the NFC has a couple of pretty good competitors.

13. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  14. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    We'll not find out what the deal is with this stuff for a long time, if ever. Brady and Belichick have both been asked about the alleged problems with Brady's health guru, and neither has anything to say about it, "next question, please". Maybe there's something there, maybe not.

One thing for sure is that the Pats are very skilled at keeping any locker room problems tightly buttoned-up within the organization, and move on quickly from them. The other thing that is true is that the Boston media is an insufferable lot, and will do just about anything to create controversy even when there is little or none to be found. Typical media hype and BS, perhaps.

To the extent there might be a problem, does anyone seeing it manifesting itself on the field? Given the fact that the Pats started at 2-2 and are now 11-3, and have had to endure key injuries (as all teams do, but here's a link to their Injury Report: 2017 New England Patriots Injuries | Pro-Football-Reference.com), I'd say that they're dealing with it just fine internally, and this is just the media picking at any scab they can find in order to have something new to talk about.

FWIW, there's been speculation that Brady's health guru, Alex Guerrero, has been working with other team members (like Gronkowski) as a personal assistant, not in a team capacity, and that this has been a good thing for their performance. One of the things Brady always cites is the focus on flexibility and post-game recovery of the body. Considering Gronk's season ending injury last year, how do you think he's looking this year? Notice that insane shoe-string catch he made vs. Pittsburgh? Could he have made that catch last year when healthy, considering his injury past? Any other tight ends in the league making that catch?

Tempest in a teapot if you ask me.

15. Funky Ghost

Jacksonville doesn't match up as well as Pittsburgh. Jacksonville is doing well, but hasn't sustained anything yet. It's a good start, but longevity and consistency win out. Pittsburgh has that, even if they are at the end of their shelf life.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

The newspaper said that Rogers went on IR, so there you have it. Hundley is their QB. I suspect that the Seahawks will be out of the playoffs this season for the first time in four or five years. Even if they make it, they will make a quick exit. I kinda hope they don't make it, just to give them all a bit more time to heal. They seem to have gotten really beat up this year.

My one prediction for this week's Seahawks game. Ifedi gets called for holding a couple times.

17. Funky Ghost

I cannot for the life of me understand how Mariota is a pro bowl alternate. I think that a QB and a punter from the same team should be mutually exclusive. One or the other but not both unless you happen to be Ray Guy.

Gaolee likes this.
  18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It's not really a secret.
    More Patriot players started seeing this guy, since he has a facility right near the stadium.
    Guerrero has a spotty past and has been investigated by the feds and the state of Massachusetts for a couple things, including misrepresenting himself as a doctor.
    Belichik rightfully stepped in, said enough is enough, and removed him from access to the Patriot facilities.
    I don't think anyone is trying to create controversy or a distraction. This created itself by the Patriots allowing it to get out of control.

-Mike

19. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sure, but sow what? To the extent that any of this would conspire to get in the way of Brady/Belichick concentrating on the task(s) at hand...very doubtful. Keep wishing and hoping. Do you think hissy fits, screaming, shouting, and throwing Lombardi Trophies around the office is what is happening here? LOL. If anything stops the Patriots, it will be the play on the field, not some pissy little drama going on behind the scenes. This is a big nothing of a story designed to take up space. I'm a football fan and all, but jeez, you got to be really hung up on getting in the weeds for this type of garbage to matter, don't you think?

20. Funky Ghost

Not being a Patriot apologist ( and I'm certain they don't need me ) but it seems the prudent thing to do given the NFL and the public's propensity to shine a very bright light an anything remotely fishing involving the Patriots. They are almost in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.