1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NFL 2017 Week #18 Wildcard Weekend

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'll take the Falcons and the Saints.

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I got the Bills and the Chiefs.

3. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Who dat!

Joedog likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Did anyone else catch the stat on ESPN Monday night about coaching tenures? They went back to the 80's.
    In the 80's and 90's it was around eight years, dropped to the five range in the 2000's, then down to three in the 2010's.
    Patience has grown thin. Owners want money.

-Mike

5. Funky Ghost

The coaching changes mirror the times we live in. Instant gratification versus waiting for development. Lightning in a bottle versus letting the seed of something good grow. Teams that follow that model get what they deserve.

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. Funky Ghost

You know one coach I see talking themselves out of a job?

Jay Gruden.

Placing the 7-9 season on the shoulders of your QB who made lemonade out of lemons with a team ravaged by injuries and poor coaching choices seems a fools errand. With a new QB in place, whom-ever that might be, I doubt the Redskins fare nearly as well. Cousins is a QB1 and should have been taken care of. Instead Gruden and his arrogance refuses to give credit where credit is due, talking out of both sides of his mouth.

I know the Redskins have historically been loyal to their coaches but those that came before haven't single-handedly chased off a QB who was 1, interested in staying ( at first ) and 2 was good for your team.

Any Redskins fans want to give an idea of your thoughts about Gruden? Maybe it's something I'm not seeing that a fan would but I'm stumped.

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Coaches being shown the door left and right, then you have Mr. Mediocrity who can't get fired. Marvin Lewis signed an extension today.
    The rebuild gathers steam in Arizona. Carson Palmer announced his retirement today. I like him.

-Mike

Jeff K and mrpackerguy like this.
  8. I dunno...sometimes the writing is clearly on the wall after one season. Why self-flagellate when you can ask for a new hand and at least maintain status quo, possibly do better?

Case in point: Denver.

9. Go Bills, all the way.

biguglyman likes this.
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    How long has Lewis been coach? I'm not a fan, even though "Da Bungles" are my local boys, but IIRC he's been around longer than anybody except the Pats guy right? Before him the Cincy had a team comparable to this year's Browns. Trust me on that one, I TRIED to be a fan all through the 90s. The mediocrity isn't on him. Mike Brown doesn't pay squat. Anyone with talent leaves the very second they can, example; Palmer. Sinu, Burkhead, Pecko, couple years ago Houshmansada.. The list goes on. Them Bungles are never going anywhere but 8-8, 9-7, 7-9, etc as long as Mike Brown holds the checkbook. It's time for Dalton to GTFO too.

Okay, sorry
    /derail

MJ5150 likes this.
  11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Here we go with the 'you're not following the spirit of the Rooney Rule' folks again.
    When will this be considered 'fair'? When half the NFL head coaches are black? A third?
    Take the Raiders. They want Gruden. He coached them before. Are the Raiders being racist by hiring a white man they had before as a coach and not interviewing at least one black man first? At what point will women get in on this?

-Mike

Funky Ghost likes this.
  12. Funky Ghost

I agree. The best person for the job should be the goal of any company. Not the best demographic. Who determines what a qualified candidate is? The NFL? The players association? How many qualified applicants meet the teams criteria? Only the team knows. So why shouldn't they make the hire without hand holding? It allows for the conversations of collusion and tampering. The NFL is regulating itself out of a fan base. And, perhaps, relevance.

MJ5150 likes this.
  13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    And how does Hue Jackson NOT get fired?! ONE win in two seasons... (I do think that the Browns will turn the corner soon though, given the glut of top draft choices they're accumulating. Everything is cyclical. Even the Browns...)

14. Funky Ghost

I think the GM and his coaching staff get a pass because they have made smart choices off the field that hasn't translated into consistent play on the field. With such young talent and with the lingering question mark at QB the Browns feel they haven't seen what Hue is capable of with a cohesive unit. I get that he is the one that is supposed to create that but he inherited a team of personalities that were used to losing. Culture is a tough thing to change. It takes time. Personally I agree with them keeping him.

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Can't argue with you Funky Ghost. Like I said, I DO think that the Browns are gonna' get a lot better soon. But 1 - 33???

But I wonder what John Fox thinks about it, compared to when he was fired by the Broncos. The Broncos were routed 43-8 by the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl after the 2013 season. Fox was fired one year later, with a 12-4 regular season record — and a first-round playoff loss. :D

Funky Ghost likes this.
  16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That Browns job is probably Jackson's by default. Who wants to coach up a team with a joke of a front office/management?

-Mike

17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

He's the Browns' coach. He could be several prophets and messiahs rolled into one and still only win one game. Or maybe none. Unless he's the guy who wanted Manziel. Then he should have been fired a while ago.

How is it that the Browns' playoff drought is shorter than the Mariners'?

MJ5150 likes this.
  18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    NFL television ratings are down 9.7% for the 2017 regular season. Add in the 8% drop from last season.

-Mike

19. Funky Ghost

Murray out for the Chiefs game. I give the Titans a little bit brighter ray of hope.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I wonder what percentage of people have "cut the cord" from cable over that time period? I'll look later to see if I can find numbers.