1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NFL 2017 Week #19 Divisional Round

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I went 2-0 last week.

This week I have:

Atlanta
    New England
    Pittsburgh
    New Orleans

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I went 50/50 trying Mikes "bet against your own team method" ™ I reverse psych'd my team into the 2nd round of the play offs.

This week I got

WHO DAT!
    PAT DAT
    PITT DAT
    MATT DAT

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'll be rooting for the Saints and whoever is going to beat the eyeballs out of smarm boy Tom and the Patriots.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Many Steelers fans thought that 30-9 butt whippin the Jags handed the Steelers in Pittsburgh was a fluke.
    Well, guess what Steelers fans? You're about to find out for sure Sunday.

-Mike

mrpackerguy likes this.
  5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    C'mon @Funky Ghost I figured you'd be all over this today.....

-Mike

6. Funky Ghost

I like it don't get me wrong, but that team was less luck more destiny than this one. This team is riding a QB who is a throwback to the Moon and McNair days. He has become a QB that can carry his team when the moments are the biggest. But a fair amount of luck has played a part too. The TD throw to himself was legit. BUT, he also DID fumble and it wasn't called. Luck. Henry destroyed the Chiefs but he only played because Murray was hurt. Mularkey absolutely WOULD have started, and tried to feature him, if he hadn't been injured. Luck. The only way the Titans beat the Pats is if the weather turns into a snowblind and they play physical bully style football to expose the Pats lack of depth. And luck.

The Music City Miracle was fun and exciting and I watched it live. But it felt like it was going to happen, to me. I didn't expect the Titans to beat KC. They just get in their own way too much right now. Winning that game cost them a shot at a very good young coach. Mularkey is just good enough, and has the loyalty of his team to pull a Fisher. Year after year of 9 win seasons and 15th pick first round drafts which end in a bottom dweller who squandered the best years of talented team that could have done so much more.

Ahhh the life of a Titans fan.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    dangnewt and GregC like this.
  7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Mariota is a Duck. A Duck.
    He ain't gonna lead y'all anywhere.

-Mike

Gaolee likes this.
  8. Funky Ghost

Mariota is Ducking awesome!!

Mike :)

9. Funky Ghost

We're going North . . .
    26240838_10156013021683851_7942564111395503231_o.

10. Brees is a Boilermaker. I like those guys.

11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    mrpackerguy likes this.
  12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    My picks this weekend:

New England
    Philadelphia
    Jacksonville
    New Orleans

Just going more with my gut than the Vegas line. I feel pretty safe about the Patriots pick.

I'm torn with the Eagles pick, but think that defense just might hit Ryan so hard and so often that he won't be as effective as he has been in past playoff games.

I WOULD have picked the Steelers over the Jags this time around, until Ben, Mike Mitchell, etc. started mouthing off about WANTING to play the Jags again. And then some moron "guarantees" that the Steelers will beat the Patriots. You ignorant ####! You'd better worry about Jacksonville. Sometimes it just makes me shake my head over how idiotic some of these guys can be. Just keep your mouths shut and let your play do the talking. Lombardi or Belichick wouldn't stand for their players providing bulletin board material.

Saints over the Vikings is another tough one. The Vikings are a very good team with a killer defense, and playing at home. But somehow, I'm having a tough time thinking Case Keenum will outplay Drew Brees.

dangnewt and MJ5150 like this.
  13. Funky Ghost

The young Jags team will shoot themselves in the foot time and again with hot headed penalties and will get out coached. Bortles isn't a come from behind QB. If they fall behind it will get ugly fast.

Imo

JLY and GregC like this.
  14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Also, Ben is not going to throw 5 picks again. Meanwhile, Bortles seems to have regressed significantly from his mid season peak.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  15. Funky Ghost

Yep. People seem to forget in that Steelers game Bortles had 95 yards in the air and a pick. Seems like a big ask for them to win again.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm with @Jeff K on the Steelers. Disappointing to read/hear the trash talk.
    Oh, and @Funky Ghost, Tomlin isn't one that'll out coach anyone.

-Mike

Pacman likes this.
  17. Funky Ghost

Trash talk is all part of sport imo. I'm not too put off by it. Hell siblings trash talk worse than athletes mostly. When you find the few that don't engage in it, it's seen as unusual enough to comment on :D

Tomlin may not need to out coach anyone if the Jags offense continues on it's present course.

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I feel you on the trash talk, at least in game when it is appropriate. Looking beyond the game in front of you, that though is some trash talk that is plain stupid in my mind.
    I have never liked Mike Mitchell. He takes cheap shots, overplays, and is slow. To read about him guaranteeing a victory in a game that isn't even scheduled? /smh
    Let me add just one more thing to the idiocy that is Mike Mitchell. He made a comment about playing these games for Ryan Shazier because Shazier 'gave up his ability to move just for us to win a game'.
    Ummm no, Mike. Shazier made a routine football play, but used poor technique and caused himself a life altering injury.

-Mike

Jeff K, GregC and Funky Ghost like this.
  19. Funky Ghost

Yeah, unfortunately Ryan has had a habit of head up head on collisions. Eventually this kind of result was likely to occur. It's sad because it was mostly preventable ( aside from just plain bad luck of course ). Ryan is a likeable guy. A hard working over achiever. I don't know Mitchell enough to comment. I do know your corner situation is gonna suck if you advance past the Jags only to face Brady.

GregC and MJ5150 like this.
  20. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Le'Veon Bell decided to use the week leading up to a playoff game to make threats related to his contract situation.
    I can't wait for the day that guy leaves Pittsburgh.

-Mike