1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL 2018 Week #16

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Dec 18, 2018.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Pack Jets

Who really cares? But I'll pick the Pack by 3

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Seahawks - Chiefs. The Seahawks will wait another week to ensure that they make the playoffs. Wilson will almost pull off a Philip Rivers on the Chiefs, but this year's Seahawks are not this year's Chargers.

The Browns will beat the Bungles. The Browns seem to actually believe in themselves for a change. It wouldn't surprise me if they won out, whether or not they can still make the playoffs.

D M C likes this.
  3. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Go Browns! Just watch out for a trap.

4. Gaolee

It feels pretty good to say that, doesn't it!

D M C likes this.
  5. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    It does. I just wish it was against a better team than the Bengals.

6. Gaolee

That happens next week.

D M C likes this.
  7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  8. Gaolee

They signed him to the practice squad to give their defensive backs some pass catching work. They just haven't admitted it.

Jeff K, dwm74 and GregC like this.
  9. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Pats WR Gordon leaving football to focus on personal issues. Looks like the demons are back. Feel for the dude

GregC and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    He must be trying to avoid a suspension.

-Mike

11. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    didn't work

12. 115-62 so far? I'll take it...mainly because my guys are 12-2 and have the best record in the NFL right now...getting right to it:

Saturday Games:

Redskins @ Titans - Titans are playing for something, the 'Skins are just not going to get past them. Redskins 17 Titans 31

Ravens @ Chargers - This game is one that may make me head to the bar to watch, since I don't get the NFL Network (greedy bastriches keeping the Saturday games to themselves :spit: ). Not sure how this will turn out, because both teams are in almost the same spot - one game back from their division leaders. I think the Chargers are not used to playing against a serious defense, and it bites them in the end (see what I did there? ;) ). Ravens 23 Chargers 20

Sunday Early Games:

Giants @ Colts - Look, the Colts are good. The Giants aren't. Giants 13 Colts 27

Jaguars @ Dolphins - The Battle for Florida? Which mediocre Florida NFL franchise is the least mediocre? Dolphins. Jags 13 Dolphins 17

Falcons @ Panthers - Speaking of mediocre...due to the fact that the Panthers offense will go from mildly incompetent to completely, the Fails get the nod this time, and both teams are 6-9 heading into their last game. 28-3ers 27 Panters 13

Bengals @ Browns - The Bengals are playing for Marvin Lewis' job. Maybe the players are finally going to realize getting rid of his job will help them actually win more games. Bungles 17 Fighting Mayfields 24

Buccaneers @ Cowboys - Watch this...even I'm a bit shocked I'm about to do this: upset special. Yeah, I'm not kidding. Bucs 23 Cows 13

Vikings @ Lions - The Vikes want to play more football, the Lions want to go to Cozumel. Both get one step closer to their goals. Vikes 31 Lions 17

Bills @ Patriots - Lose three in a row? Especially against the Bills? If that happens, get ready to head for the fallout shelters, because the end of the world is nigh. Bills 10 Patriots 24

Packers @ Jets - OK, so...yeah, even a bad A-Rod will be more than the Jets will know what to do with. Pack 24 Jets 13

Texans @ Eagles - The Fighting Foleses are out in force! Texans will have to wait another week to lock down the AFC South. Texans 24 Eagles 27

Rams @ Cardinals - Right. Rams 42 Cards 4...or 2....or 4 plus 2....but single digits.

Bears @ 49ers - OK so the 9ers snuck up on a couple teams. Not gonna happen this week. Bears 24 9ers 10

Steelers @ Saints - Which Steelers team shows up? Heck, which Saints offense shows up? Here's the tricky part - in the past 6 weeks, the Saints DEFENSE has not allowed over 17 points. And, this week, the Saints offense shows back up, or at least most of it does. Enough of it to give us this: Steelers 17 Saints 31

SNF:

Chiefs @ Seahawks - The Chiefs let the Chargers stay in the hunt. Seahawks get right, and upset the AFC applecart. Chiefs 28 Seahawks 31

MNF:

Broncos @ Raiders - This is seriously a prime time game? Really? Why? WHY? Broncos 24 Raiders 27

:hyper:

So, the NFC playoffs go through NOLA. Me likey.

13. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If the Saints don't blow out the Steelers, there's problems on that team none of us know about that may cause them to miss the February 3rd game.

-Mike

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  14. Let's not overreact.

I would point out that the Saints have several starting O-line players, including the top-rated lineman Armstead (Top 25 offensive linemen of the 2018 NFL season | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus) that are either dinged or out (Armstead appears to be not playing again). Most likely, these guys COULD go, if needed, but it appears that they're being rested to get them as healthy as possible for the playoffs. Also, never forget who Payton considers his mentor as a coach - Bill Parcells, the king of coaching misdirection. If anyone thinks they have any idea what is going to happen once the Saints are in the playoffs, they don't remember 2009-2010, when the Saints dropped their last 3 regular season games, then went into the Divisional round game against the then very dangerous Cardinals and absolutely DESTROYED them. Not saying it will happen, just saying that history does repeat. The only thing the Saints are working on is getting the first seed, so they'll probably win Sunday, but also, it's likely that they will not be pulling out all the stops (playing Armstead, pulling Ted Ginn off IR, using the whole playbook) to do so. If they do win the game Sunday, they will be playing every backup they can(hello, Teddy Bridgewater) the following week, because a win Sunday secures the #1 seed.

UPDATE: Armstead was a full-go at practice yesterday, and is expected to be on the field tomorrow afternoon/evening, as is Ginn. That's good, I hope - get them one good game to get up to speed, then rest them next week, after they pancake the Steelers. ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Gaolee and MJ5150 like this.
  15. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'm here again.

I just watched the condensed replay of the Saints/Panthers MNF game, and came away with this read:

The Saints were two brain-farts from a 24-7 win in that game, and a third one from a complete shutout of the Fighting sCam Nootuns. Everyone keeps talking about the Saints having the "28th ranked pass defense" - but that is using stats to lie about the actual present situation (there are lies, damned lies, and statistics). The past 6 weeks, no one has scored more than 17 against this defense, including the then #1 ranked scoring offense of the Bucs. They're now the #11 overall defense, after being the #31 in week 4, so if you REALLY look at the stats, over the past 6 weeks, they could be considered one of the best defenses out there. The #1 ranking of their rush defense is not an illusion either, they have shut down Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliot, Christian McCaffery, and Todd Gurley.

I'm revising my previous post to AGREE with Mike: the Saints SHOULD blow the Steelers right out onto Poydras Street. Will they? Don't know, but by looking at what the defense in NOLA is doing and what the offense is CAPABLE of when not tying their own shoelaces together...I think my 31-17 score is possibly a bit cautious. But, I'll be happy with ONE point more, at the end of the game.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    mrpackerguy and MJ5150 like this.
  16. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Mayfield is performing well, but he has a long way to go on the maturity front. He pulls probably the longest stare down in NFL history, (again, on a coach who was fired from the Browns rather than leaving voluntarily), then pretends it didn't happen .Mayfield pleads ignorance after Hue staredown

MJ5150 likes this.
  17. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    As your attorney, I advise you to watch him play and not listen to him talk. It’ll make you nuts.

18. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The ridiculous staredown was on the field, though.

MJ5150 likes this.
  19. So, three points more. Mission accomplished, #1 seed in the NFC. :thumbsup:

20. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I agree Greg. Stats are nice though and at least he's holding it together to give the fans something to cheer about.

-Mike