1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NFL coaches challening calls?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I was watching a pre-season game between Denver and San Franscisco and a player intercepted and caught the ball then ran it out of bounds. Looked fine to NFL noob-boy here :)

The coach on the opposing team then challenged the referees "good" call! I was surprised both at the coaches ability to challenge a call, and the time "wasted" in resolving the challenge!

In Aussie Rules, our coaches sit in the coaching box and don't challenge referee calls, so it was a bit of a shock to see it happen.

Just chatting aloud :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Google the Tuck Rule. That is one of the most famous overturned calls. It's just the first in a long line of "gifts" to the Patriots during their run.

3. With the advent of instant replay, it became quite evident that referees are capable of standard-issue human error, and that there was a mechanism in place to correct it, if desired.

Of course, correcting EVERY mistake they make in the course of a game is impossible, so there are limits and penalties for losing a challenge.

I think it is a good compromise the way it is set up now. Coaches can challenge 2 calls per half, if they lose the challenge it costs them a timeout (this is a simplified version).

There are missed calls that can totally change the outcome of a game, and a referee's mistake should not influence it if at all possible. However, a coach should not be able to willy-nilly interrupt the flow of the game either.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I do wish they could speed up the process. That is pretty much my only complaint about the system as it stands.

-Mike

5. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    There were a couple of instant replay referee reviews during the NHL playoffs this year as well. Some HUGE calls to overlook. Yes it's a tedious, annoying process, but man oh man, is it needed to shut people up when they're absolutely wrong.

6. Hey! Something we agree about in football!

;)

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    YAY! :cool:

I just get frustrated when me and my buddies can figure it out after watching two or three replays while the refs spend four or five minutes talking about it and watching the replay over and over.

-Mike

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think one during a Raiders game last season lasted more than 10 minutes. Some receiver caught the ball past the 1st down marker and was never touched, but he tossed the ball showing off about the 1st down and the other team jumped on it.

I agree about the length, but I think for every overly-long replay there are 10 that are done quick enough for my liking. It's the same for the officiating, for every "Polamalu Interception" (even though that call benefited the Colts) call there are 10 correct calls that no one remembers.

9. Wonder if the receiver plays guitar as well...

:ninja: :bag: :ninja:

10. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    time to instant replay time = longer games = more time to advertise

11. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    One of the biggest differences in US sport vs. other more international sport: wasted time.

The general ethic in Intl. Football (soccer) and rugby is to get on with it. The rules are designed to keep play moving.

In US Football, the ref will delay play 45 seconds because the offense was charged with, well, er, "Delay of Game".

Replay challenges take 5 minutes each despite rules to the contrary.

Baseball games have moved from a little over 2 hours to a little over 3 hours in 30 years.

College Football games take 4 hours, the NFL almost 3.5.

The last 5 minutes of an NBA game take 20+ minutes.

Despite growing up with all those games, the amount of soccer I have watched in the last 5-7 years have made it difficult for me to tolerate never ending delays in never ending games.

For that reason, I'd love to see them get rid of instant replays.

12. I get annoyed when the challenges take forever, but I'm glad the system is in place, given the incompetency of a lot of NFL refs. Sometimes even instant replay doesn't lead them to the correct decision.

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Refs in all sports screw up in a big way. But as you point out, the replay doesn't guarantee anything (Steelers V Colts playoff game in 2006). It's the same dopes that got it wrong the first time looking at the video!

I say toss replay, and admit it's a sport, not a science and get on with it.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    And there would be outcry about teams getting jobbed the first time another Immaculate Reception happened. A fluke like that would never occur in today's game because of more cameras and instant replay.

15. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    There will always be outcry. There's never been a well reffed contest in the history of sport.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yes and no.

Judging by the fact that you enjoy soccer, I'd say we'll just agree to disagree on this. :D

17. You bet there'd be outcry. There are people still whining about the "Tuck Rule" 6 years after the fact. ;)

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    All I will say about instant replay is that I wish it was around during the '95 season when the Colts played the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. Hmm, Stewart stepping out the back of the endzone only to come back in to catch the winning TD. It might have been overturned had there been IR. Yeah, I'm still sore about it! :p

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, you want your team to win or you want them to be little babies who roll over to get their butts kicked? ;)