Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pacman, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Wow - I can't believe there's not a thread about today's draft yet. Where are you football fans?

My prediction, especially with the aquisition of Corey Dillon, the Pats are going to be a tough, tough team to beat for a long time. Can you say "dynasty"?

Oh, and Eli Manning will spend much of his first year on his back! :D

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I hope so, but it's baseball season, now!

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Eli with the Giants?

Hmmm....

Tiki will certainly appreciate him, but I agree with Pac, Eli had better get used to the taste of turf!

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My prediction: My Bears will win at least 4 games this year...if not 5! :eek:

I wish we could draft new owners.:DLOL

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I'm terribly sad after seeing my mighty bucs take a receiver in the first round (clayton, lsu) especially while steve jackson was still on the board.

mike pittman's going to jail (and rightfully so, if it were me i'd be put away for considerably longer,) suspended for at least a couple games, and possibly cut. other than him, we've got charlie garner, who had arthroscopic knee surgery this offseason, jamel white (looks okay, but not an every down back,) and my boy, mike alstott (who should get the rock every down this season, just to see....i think he's got a thousand yards in him, and his runs are a thing of beauty, unless you're some poor defensive back trying to stop him. SMASH!) i'm sad. we don't need no damn possession receiver, we just dumped me-shawn.

pats, though, will indeed be tough, especially with the aquisition of corey dillon, who's been a stud from day one w/ the bengals. its one thing for belicheck to win with roleplayers and great coaching. pair dillon up w/ tom brady and the gang, and a great d, and yeah....dynasty in the making. at least they're in the afc :(

i think the chargers got punked, playing to eli and his pappy. hope ny likes the prima donna, can't wait to see him get aquainted with the cold hard turf up there.

my prediction: roethlisberger will be the best of the qb bunch. so what if his conference was weak? dude can play.
    bloody bucs, hope they're still competitive this year.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A lot of people are harping on the Cowboys' draft, but I really like it. It's a myth that you need to have that star player to win it all in the NFL. Look at the Pats. Everyone goes on and on about how the Pats are made up of role players, no stars, just people who fit into a system, and then as soon as free agency starts, teams are snatching up big name players and forgetting the lessons they were touting just days prior. Then you get the draft and everyone believes that you have to get the star.

Dallas needed big time help, more than just one player. They got a solid running back, badly badly needed O-Line help, and an extra #1 pick next year, that's huge.

I like Julius Jones, I think he can be a contributor. The most effective running games are those that have diversity. Also, history has shown that you don't need to be drafted in the first round to be an effective runner. Think Terrell Davis, Domanick Davis, Curtis Martin, and many many more.

Jacob Rogers comes from a solid program at USC, and we needed O-line help. Stephen Peterman from LSU could be a good one.

If Larry Allen can get back in shape, and with Al Johnson coming back from injury, the Dallas O-Line could be much improved, and that's vital.

Let's get another DT and a CB and we're in business with two #1s next year. Sweet.

(San Diego takes a kicker in round 3? Dude.)

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Slow down with the dynasty talk. Dillon's only got two years left and is a headcase.

Also, y'all need to straighten out that Ty Law situation.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't forget about Steven Jackson's knee problems. I think Garner has a couple good years left in him. Bucs won the Super Bowl with a 3 wide receiver formation, maybe they're getting back to it. I like the pick.

9. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002

I think larry allen will still be out; word is he isn't much of a "team player" when it comes to parcells. I'm not a dallas fan at all, but its better than being a skins/eagles/giants fan, so....julius jones has been underrated, and i think he'll be a great change of pace after hambrick, who has skills and power, but just doesn't get the job done as an every down back.

i would have tried to find a way to grab steve jackson, though; that guy's a diesel.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Between you and me, I think you're right on Allen. It pains me to say it, but it just looks like he's done. At least with the Cowboys.

As far as Jackson, in Bill I Trust. Bill turned that team around last year with very little talent. If Bill saw somethiing, (and despite what most people think, Jerry Jones has a very good draft history himself), I'm gonna trust him. Of course, we won't know how it pans out for several years.

And don't forget, Emmitt Smith only had 900-some-odd yards his first season. So, if Julius Jones doesn't go for 1400 yards this year, don't be alarmed.

I'd be happy just to have a healthy offensive line all season.

11. Right on, man. I'm a MAC guy (went to Ohio University) so I always like to see guys from the conference do well.. even if he is from Miami. :spit:

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I followed the draft a bit myself, here are some random comments...

Eli: Can't blame him for wanting to avoid getting stuck in a dead-end organization. Got a coach on his last year of a contract without much hope for a future, a team that is threatening to leave its city, and an ownership that just doesn't seem to care. As for his future in NYG blue, don't forget that Tom Coughlin is a winner as a coach, there is a good deal of talent on the team (Barber, Shockey, Toomer), and the front office wants to win. I predict he'll be winning sooner than a lot of you think. He is the quality QB in the draft, I got to watch him up close a lot the past couple years (I'm an LSU fan), he's for real, just like his dad & big brother.

...lotta jostling for "position" in the draft, not just the blockbuster NYG/SD trade...

...my Saints got yet another first round defensive lineman (3 in 3 years! :p)...gah...so, you can't run on us, and if you hold the ball too long, your QB will be a greasy spot, but sheesh...how about some defensive backfield help, hm? :meh: The rest of the picks looked good, if Daunte Stalworth can stay healthy this season, we'll have a truly frightening 3 wide set, and the kid they got at LB from ND looks small but has a good motor.

...is it football season yet????

:D

13. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't think manning would have gone at #1 without the pedigree, especially after letting daddy run his mouth. I wouldn't want to go to the chargers either, but how 'bout some character, playing the hand your dealt? eli's no elway. carson palmer surely wasn't ecstatic about going to the bengals last year, but he not only smiled but said all the right things about building the team. Big brother peyton as well, the colts weren't exactly a dream team when he was drafted.

the chargers have some upside in tomlinson, who's been a beast and has held up well in the marty-ball system. with an o line and a good young qb, new coach next year, they might start getting better sooner rather than later.

i would have preferred drafting defense (wilfork or dj williams) for the bucs over another wideout, just because we have a number of young projects, like charles lee. lee's bigger and faster than keyshawn, and showed some spark late last season, but now it looks like he's going to get stuck at #5 on the chart. too bad. maybe galloway will suck.

its hard to watch a team you love that's gotten it done on defense for years start to transition to an offensive team. i like watching 'em toss the skin around and all, but i'd rather see my boys shut someone down than light 'em up.

we'll see about garner, his knee scares me more than jackson's, compounded w/ age. but he knows the system, and doesn't assault his wife and child with his hummer. that's a plus.

i just read that kellen winslow's agent isn't going to settle for pick 6 money, but will instead negotiate as if k had gone anywhere from 1 to 6. browns got a potential headache.

eagles screwed the pooch w/ andrews, they're set at tackle and for him to play guard is a waste of a first round pick. they needed another rb.

the 'aints are gonna be scary up front on d.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    '02, I've watched SEC college football all my life, and I've watched Eli for the past few years: He IS for real. Seriously.

Like or dislike how his draft was handled, he would have been stuck in a horrible situation in SD. The reason his dad stepped in is because he knows from first hand experience (the Saints in the 70's? :rolleyes: ) that being a great talent surrounded by a cast of....well....losers....being run by people that just don't care if the team wins or loses. He just didn't want his kid to end up in the same dead end situation. Peyton didn't go to a winning team, he went to a team that had serious prospects of being a winning team. Same with Eli, at least the Giants have prospects, sorry Chargers fans, but until the Spanos family goes, they're not going to do squat.

By the way, yeah the Chargers have Tomlinson, but one or two players does not a team make, if it did, Archie would have been a world beater with Chuck Muncie in the backfield behind him...he wasn't, because the rest of the offense was mediocre (and that is being kind).

The Bucs draft just goes to show what I've been saying for several years (and gets me into numerous almost fistfights in central FL): "Chuckie" ain't all that. The team that won the Super Bowl 2 years ago was the one that was put together by Tony Dungy, Chuckie just rode into glory on his coattails. The stupidity of the draft choice (the guy is a great player, but the Bucs had other holes that needed filling) proves that Gruden is not the football genius he's touted to be.

Yeah, my beloved 'aints will have a great D line now, speed, power, smarts, heart...wonderful....but, if the opposing O-line can hold them up long enough for the passer to get someone open (which with the secondary we had last year will be measured in microseconds :spit: ), won't do us any good...sigh...

15. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I guess it just bugs me to see manning trying to get something the others don't: choice of his first team. everyone else has to struggle through with whoever drafts them, and i don't think qb's who are the sons of qb's should get preferential treatment.

personally, i think sd would be a better place to play than nyc: its warm, better running game to rely on, sure to have a couple more high draft picks in the next few years :), and its warm. both ol's are weak. giants lost a few defensive players this year, and have to work for coughlin, not the easiest coach in the world to like, from what i hear. and barber fumbles too much.

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I thought I was gonna throw my remote through the TV when the Lions traded the #6 pick to Cleveland with Kellen Winslow II on the board. With Charlie Rogers on one side, Tai Streets on the other and a great catching and blocking tight end like Winslow, the Lions' lame running game would have to improve.

Then they picked Roy Williams. Even though it may be true that Williams is better than Rogers, Rogers / Winslow has a better impact than Rogers / Williams. They redeemed themselves (and saved my television) by trading up and picking Kevin Jones late in the 1st round.

Peace,

James

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Bottom line is Eli will have more endorsement opportunities and be playing in a much better sports town. I still think he acted like a complete jackass with his pouting and the way he handled it though.

brad cook

18. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Here in the land of the Colts, draft day is always a little wierd but this time around it's especially so. We get the same story every year about our draft: "Bill Polian [Colts owner] is an idiot! He picker [player #1] over [player#2]? What an IDIOT!!!!" That line applies to picking Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf; Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams; Dallas Clark and Mike Doss last year over anybody. But those picks always end up making our guys look like geniuses.

But this year, I'm scratching my head. We traded out of the first round entirely. Then we picked Bob Sanders (safety from Iowa) in round 2 -- looks like a solid pick. Then we traded again, so no more second round picks. Then we got a TIGHT END in round 3?? When our run defense is so bad? The argument is that Marcus Pollard might not be here in a couple of years, and that the home game against New England was lost on a 4th-and-goal play where Edgerrin didn't get into the end zone, and had we had a blocking TE there, we'd have had home field throughout the playoffs. But a TE?

It just seemed like everybody in the league got somebody really cool, and we got what was left over. I'm disappointed. But I still think the Colts are legit -- and circle that date early in the season when we play New England. Maybe this time the refs will actually call holding on their DB's. :rolleyes:

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree.
    BTW, I'm not doing any cartwheels just 'cause the Eagles got TO.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Muncie was a horse.
    ...and speaking of "Horse"-
    What was his drug-of-choice?
    Wasn't he expelled from the NFL?