1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The draft is less than a month away. NFL news has been dead lately, so let's talk about our favorite prospects and our teams.

Me, I'd love the Bears to draft a WR in the first round. Maclin would be nice, but I doubt he'd drop that far. Kenny Britt would be OK, but concerned about his character. If those two aren't available, I would like Hakeem Nicks or Brian Robiskie in the 2nd. Personally, I like Robiskie the best of the top WR prospects. He doesn't have the athleticism like the other WRs, but he's a real football player who makes the big grab to keep the chains moving, and when his QB is in trouble he's in the right place. I could see Robiskie doing well in the NFL.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll take a DL.

-Mike

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't see Robiskie ever being a #1 receiver in the NFL, but I think he'll have a long career. The fact that he's a solid and very willing blocker is always a big plus for me.

I'm really not sure what the Niners are going to do at #10. A lot of mocks have them taking Sanchez, but they seem pretty committed to letting Hill and Smith take one last shot at things before going a different direction. Of course that Kurt Warner dalliance makes it hard to say that with conviction, but we'll see. College QBs who only started for one year make me very nervous so I hope they pass on Sanchez if he's there.

I'm not totally sold on BJ Raji, but after the 49ers passed on Wilfork and Ngata in recent years, if they feel he can be a frontline NT in the 3-4 they should grab him if he's there.

A lot of talk about them taking one of the OTs, but if Marvel Smith is healthy (a big if) I think they could address other needs. Still Andre Smith (if motivated) could be a beast on the right side.

A pass rushing OLB is a big possibility. Orakpo or Everette Brown.

They've got some holes to fill though so if Raji is gone or not their guy then I'd like to see them trade down for picks and grabbing a receiver like Heyward-Bey or Harvin or a pass rusher like English or Sintim while picking up another pick.

4. The Saints are sitting with pick #14, we don't have any pressing needs on the OL or WR/TE, and we DEFINITELY aren't hurting at QB...but if a big bruiser RB is available, it would be a good idea for us to get him (Chris Wells maybe)...

...however, the pressing issue: DB

No clue who to go after here, but we could use a good CB or FS. If we can get an even average defense to go with the offense we already possess...

:D

5. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I think Jenkins could drop all the way to the Saints, though personally I think he's overrated even there. Not that he'll be a bad player, I just don't see him being a top corner, but more of a solid #2 or a maybe a #1 on a weak defense.

Vontae Davis is the most physically talented DB in the draft, but I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole, but that's just me.

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll be in Pittsburgh, at Heinz Field, during the draft. They got this thing called Fan Blitz they do once a year. I'm sure other teams have something like it. You just can't get your picture taken next to SIX Super Bowl trophies anywhere else. :D

-Mike

7. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Will Sanchez be another Palmer or another Leinart?

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hard to say. His physical gifts lie somewhere in between. He hasn't got the rocket arm that Palmer does, but he's athletically superior to Leinart IMO. What scares me is that (1) he couldn't beat out John David Booty to start and (2) he has exactly one season of college football, and on an absolutely stacked team.

I get the feeling that at minimum he'll be a serviceable NFL QB, but if the team drafting him wants more I think they'd be best served doing what Cincy did with Palmer and letting him sit his whole first year.

Personally I don't see stardom in either Stafford or Sanchez, but QBs are so tough to project.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Packers need DL, OL. I'd be ecstatic if they got Raji

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I agree with this. As for Stafford, I'm glad to see he's dropped some. I've seen him play enough. He strikes me as a classic "all the measurables" guy--scouts drool over him, but he can't seem to get it done when it counts.

11. Yeah, it's pretty interesting to see that most of the big numbers QB's from the college ranks don't translate well into the NFL (not all of course, the Manning brothers, etc). Even more interesting is that "unheard of" guys that get in and light up the whole game, like Brady or Warner. Scouting QB's must be a real headache!

12. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

A perfect example is the Steelers. Three of their quarterbacks: Roethlisberger, Batch and Leftwich all came from the MAC.

13. Yeah, the big-name QB's from the big-name schools typically don't translate well into the NFL, look at the best last year: Drew Brees, went to Purdue, and was written off a few years ago because of an injury. Think San Diego'd like to have him back now? :smug:

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Not quite the same thing. Brees was pretty well regarded coming out. The Chargers took him with the first pick of the second round and he easily could have gone late first. The only real knock on him at the time was his height. And yet, Rivers was drafted (1) because of durability concerns and (2) Brees hadn't exactly lit up the scoreboard to that point. In fact, it wasn't until AFTER they drafted Rivers (ironically also from a non-powerhouse school) that Brees started looking like a real NFL QB. SD jettisoning him was a money move when it finally happened, not a decision based purely on talent.

Small school QBs actually fail more often than big school guys but it just isn't as big a news story most of the time. Remember Brady was from Michigan, back when Michigan was a power. And even there he was overlooked, being the fifth or so QB on the depth chart his sophomore year.

QB is just a really tough position to evaluate because of everything that goes into it. Even so, look at where most of the great QBs in the league were drafted. There are a lot more 1st rounders than late rounders. People think you can get a great QB late in the draft because guys like Garcia, Warner and Delhomme went undrafted and because Brady was a sixth rounder (and Montana a 3rd) but no one mentions that the failure rate of those late round QBs is really high.

I don't think Stafford or Sanchez will be franchise guys, but I don't see anybody in a later round being one either. This draft is just weak in terms of the position IMO.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm gonna do something different this year. I'm gonna predict 3 players from each round that I think are gonna do well in the NFL. I think can I do as well as the "experts".

Here goes:
    Round 1 Aaron Curry (LB) Wake Forest, Eugene Monroe (OT) Virginia, Brian Orakpo (LB) Texas
    Round 2 - Rashad Johnson (S) Alabama, Michael Johnson (DE) Ga Tech, Brian Robiskie (WR) Ohio St., Sean Smith (CB/S) Utah
    Round 3 - Jauqin Iglesias (WR) Oklahoma, Duke Robinson (OG) Oklahoma, Shonn Greene (RB) - Iowa
    Round 4 - Troy Kropog (OT) LSU, Marcus Freeman (LB) Ohio St., Henry Melton (DE) Texas
    Round 5 - Jarrett Dillard (WR) Rice, Sherrod Martin (CB/S) Troy, Mitch King (DT) Iowa
    Round 6/7 - Bernard Scott (RB) Abilene Christian, David Veikune (DE) Hawaii, James Casey (TE) Rice, Nate Davis (QB) Ball St., LaDarius Webb (CB) Nichols St., Andy Kemp (OG) Wisconsin, Johnny Knox (WR) Abilene Christian

16. So, what does everybody think thus far?

17. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Too many OTs being picked, and I am surprised Mark Sanchez went at $4, It hought he would be 8-10. :p

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    As I suspected, we grabbed a DL. He should get some legit PT this year. Our DL is older, so good move I think.

-Mike

19. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    I was very surprised (and happy) to see that the Seahawks got Curry with the #4 pick!

Nice pick... hope it all works out nicely for him (and them)! :)

20. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    You got a DL!

I'm jealous...I'm sittin' here just one hour away, on a rare Saturday night off. Have fun in the 'Burgh!