1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL Free Agency starts tomorrow night

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As some of you coping with post-season withdrawals, I'm interested to see who my team will pick up and let go when free agency begins.

I'd love to see the Bears resign Berrian and Briggs, but I doubt that they can retain both. A FA O-lineman like Smiley or Faneca would be nice too.

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I am curious to see if my Boys are going to go for a Wide Receiver to replace the worn out Glenn.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Saints still haven't resigned 5 starters. Mark Simoneau is one, but I don't know that they'd want to keep him. I've been hearing that he'll be released and replaced with a draft pick. I don't know why they haven't picked up Jeff Faine or Eric Johnson's contracts yet, though. Johnson proved to be a decent catching TE for Brees, and Faine has done a great job with Brees working behind him for the past two years.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It looks like Haggans will be hitting the streets. That makes me really sad. He's been great for us for many years. No one realy knows who he is outside of Pittsburgh, but the guy brought it every Sunday for a long time.

I'm nervous to see what happens with Faneca. I think he's gone, and that is going to kill me.

-Mike

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Sad to see the Steelers let Faneca go like that. He did so much for the team, and their running game. He wasn't just a great guard, he was a great team player. It's sad that the Steelers are gonna let him walk, but I give them props for not slapping the franchise tag on him so he can get a lucrative long-term deal somewhere.

That said, I'd love to see him line up next to Olin Kreutz so we could have two of the meanest bastiges making holes up the middle. Just the thought of it is bringing a smile to my face. But the reality is that Faneca is probably going to get some big bucks from someone else.

6. Simoneau is gone, there will be better guys available in either the draft or FA, and they really need to step up on the D side.

I agree about Johnson, he is a good receiving TE, and they should get his contract settled.

As for Faine, he's good, and if he doesn't want too much money they should get him signed as well, but I have a feeling he may be angling for a bigger payday. If so, they'll let him dangle and see if anyone bites, then sign him for a more reasonable number if he's not picked up. There are several very solid O linemen in the draft, and all of the projections are showing the Saints snagging Ryan Clady.

In other D news for my boys, I sure hope Asante Samuel is not the bust that Jason David was....he will sure cost enough if they do end up signing him. :eek:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey now, the Steelers aren't jacking this guy around. They have paid him well the entire time he has been here. He is at the point in his career where the Steelers FO does not feel he is worth the $9-10,000,000 per year he wants for a new deal, and the length of time he wants one for.

The Steelers rarely make a bad decision in situations like this, so I trust them to let him go if that what it comes to. The only reason I am nervous is because part of me thinks he may stick around for what we offer, and the other part of me thinks some idiot like Daniel Snyder will hand him a blank check.

-Mike

8. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    If I were the Saints, I'd be thinking about signing Alge Crumpler.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I doubt the Packers do anything. It seems TT is not a fan of picking up major free agents. The whole Ryan Pickett signing worked out pretty well though. The Packers run defense is about 10 times better when he is in the middle of the line.

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I never said the Steelers are jacking him around. I respect that they didn't slap the franchise tag on him. Maybe I'm just sentimental and old-school, but I like it when players who give their all to a team finish their careers with them.

I know that the front office in Pitt won't pay the rate he will command in the open market, so it's the best for both players. And quite honestly, I don't know Faneca is worth a Snyder-like deal at the stage of his career. I think he can still have 2-4 years playing at a high level, but doubt if he's worth the zillions he'll get in a 5-6 year deal that he'll probably command in the open market.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    God I hate it when I agree with Jive.

12. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    DeAngelo Hall will be playing for Big Blue next year. Hall and Aaron Ross as starters, Sam Madison and Corey Webster as nickel/dime backs, we'll grab a strong safety high in the draft, and finally a solid secondary for the champs!

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Bust, no. A failure in predominately man coverage, yes. Kelly and I told you that when you were feeling warm and fuzzy about him. :D

Colts Endseason/Offseason Wrap-up: Bob got signed for 5 years, Dallas got tagged and then was given 6 more years, Ryan Lilja got signed so that probably means Jake Scott is gone. In other words, lock up the starters for a few more years to train their back-ups to take over.

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Signing Bob was huge. The D is very different without him in the lineup.

15. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    I'm a Raider fan, so whoever is unlucky enough to come here in FA will most likely end up disappointed, as will the fans. However, I'm praying that Chris Long drops to us with the 4th pick in the draft.... and maybe Desean Jackson drops to us in the 2nd (not likely) but this CAL fan can dream, right?

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would love to have Berrian playing for the Cowboys.

So, Jive, is QB on the itinerary for the Bears? What do you think they're going to do?

17. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    rumour has it they might be going to pick up javon walker or even randy moss. if they manage to pick up moss can u imagine the coverage decisions it would require teams to make with him and T.O. both lining up... it would be incredible

18. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    If they pick up Moss that would be quite a tandem. Problem is, Romo is a choker in big games and good qb's are hard to come by. Bring back Bledsoe for one last run!

19. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    meh, i don't hold the playoff letdown that was the giants game purely against romo. He played a pretty decent game but on the whole the team was just a bust, key passes were dropped and some wierd play calls didnt really help us. The giants flat out out played us. All i can say for free agency for the boys is they damn well better reign barber back in and hopefully pick up a decent back in the draft like maybe felix jones, or if he is available (unlikely) mendenhall...

20. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA

My guess is that they cut Griese depending on who they draft. But, it may come sooner so they can make some cap room by saving on his roster bonus.

I think they will draft a QB, and Flacco is an interesting possibility. Either way, I doubt they will pick a QB in the first round. I think this year is a little thin for QB, but plenty will probably go in the first round though due to need.