1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL homer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by motleystew, Sep 18, 2008.

1. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    Anyone live in an NFL city but likes another team instead of the "home team"? Why?

I live in Dallas so I get a lot of flack about being a Vikings fan. I have to explain that I grew up near Houston as an Oilers fan and I idolized Warren Moon. So, when he left the Oilers/Titans, I started watching him when I could with Minnesota. I didn't have the Oilers anymore so I started liking the Vikes. Then came Cunningham, Moss, Culpepper and I've been a fan ever since. Not always a happy fan, but loyal none-the-less..What's your story?

2. soundpost311

soundpost311

Dec 14, 2004
    it paid off last superbowl

my dad is a NY giants fan, so i'm into them too... but i live in RI... and after that upset last season i got to have a lot of fun with the 18-1 patriots fans.

:bag:

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I just don't get why national sports teams get that kind of devotion. They're just a bunch of more or less well paid mercenaries, and the team is very likely owned by some billionaire or other. The only thing with some local connection is the arena.

4. rush_fan

rush_fan

Aug 20, 2008
    I use to live about 35 minutes away from Giants stadium but I'm an Eagles fan. I also like the Steelers. As far as college, I'm an Auburn fan.

Steve

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was born and raised in Illinois; I now live in Milwaukee. Being a Bears fan in Packerland is not fun or easy. I take that back, it's quite fun. Packers fans are easily riled.

6. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I grew up in Pennsylvania in the '60s & '70s as a Cowboys fan:bag:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm in Eagles territory, but root for the Giants (MY home team)

8. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    Born and raised here in Chicago, Die Hard Pats fan. Bears fans are the worst.
    Them:"how about dem 86 bears!"
    Me:"how old are you?
    Them "I'm 19"
    Me "you weren't even alive yet, get F'ed"
    :spit: :scowl:

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about Gard!:p

As for me, I was born and have lived most of my life in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area, so I'm a lifelong Dolphins fan. My dad had season tickets in the early years, including that still-unsurpassed '72 season--I was 9 and got to go to a bunch of the games. I've been in Chicago 5 years and I do like the Bears, but they're a distant second. Now if only my 'Fins could field a good team again, sheesh.

And you've been a "die-hard" Pats fan since what year?

10. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I'm 25, and been for as long as I can remember. there are pictures of me when I was like 5 or six wearing a few different patriot shirts with the ol minuteman logo. I've only been to a handful of patriot games though

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I live an hour south of Seattle, but remain loyal to the Steelers. I was born and lived a good chunk of my life an hour east of Pittsburgh.

-Mike

12. I'm an absolute, resolute, complete, and total homer. I admit it honestly, openly, and proudly.

I went to Saints games in Tulane Stadium in the rain, before the SuperDome was completed. I've been in Tiger Stadium when there were fewer than 10,000 people in the building.

I bleed Gold & Purple on Saturdays and Black & Gold on Sundays all throughout the fall and early winter.

I am a true fan of my teams, and where I reside NOW has no effect on it whatsoever.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

GEAUX SAINTS!!!

If you can't deal with it, let me be....

:D

13. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I grew up in Chicago, and grew up watching Chicago sports. Never even dreamed of rooting for anyone other than the Bears, Bull, or Cubs. And to this day, regardless of where I live, those are the teams I root for.

Bear down, Chicago Bears! Make every play clear the way to victory!
    Bear down, Chicago Bears! Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly!
    We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation with your T formation.
    Bear down, Chicago Bears, and let them know why you're wearing the crown.
    You're the pride and joy of Illinois. Chicago Bears, bear down!

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That's cool, how did you get into the Pats?

As for Bears fans, come on now--they might talk about the past, but they're very loyal and still go to the games. Last I checked, a home game was still a very tough ticket.

15. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I live in Cincinnati...what do you think? :bawl:

Thankfully, there is NFL Sunday Ticket. :cool:

16. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I am a transplant from near New Orleans to Houston. The Saints are my team.

17. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I was born Irish Catholic and that means there is no other college team but Notre Dame!

Go Irish

NFL, being a military child and having spent some time in San Antonio, I became a Cowboys fan at the age of 7.

How Bout Them Cowboys!

I have seen both my teams go through rebuilding times, Cowboys only winning one game (kept the Scabskins out of the play-offs) and the Irish only winning three games last year.

Good or Bad and even through times of being ragged on hard, I love my teams!

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I live right between Cleveland and Detroit and I'm a life long Packers fan. I have been since childhood. My dad used to watch Packers games (the few that were on) when I was a kid, and the first book I read on my own was a Bart Starr biography.

There aren't really many Lions fans around here, but Browns fans are numerous and obnoxious. As far as College Teams, it's probably 2/3 OSU fans, and the remaining 1/3 divided between Michigan and Notre Dame. I'm an ND fan, although that's been futile lately. I have to admit I kinda giggle when OSU gets to the National Championship Game then gets destroyed.

19. I should have made it clear that I have not lived in the New Orleans area since 2000. I grew up in Slidell, lived there until 1985, moved to Orlando until 1997. Moved to Baton Rouge in '97, then back to Orlando in 2000, finally to Greensboro, NC (Carolina Panthers territory) in 2005. So, yes, I live in an "enemy camp", as the Panthers are a rival NFC South team.

Cheesy, happy that my LSU Tigers could give you a chuckle last season. I doubt they will again this year, since there is no freakin' way that OSU will even get CLOSE to the NC game. ;) We'll just have to beat down some other poor sap team.

:smug:

20. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I'm from Tennessee but didn't start liking the Titans until 2004 or so. I used to like the Rams. I'm an extreme fan of a running offense. I would root for any team that can entertain me with running. Vince Young, Lendale White and Chris Johnson make me a happy camper with my home team. No explanation for why I like the Vols so much though. Runs in my blood I guess.....