1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nfl player mother in law dies.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Starrchild, Mar 27, 2009.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't know. His chief pretty much hung him out to dry at a press conference. I'd say there's a good chance here. Still, I share your skepticism.

2. I agree. And it's disgusting.

3. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    It takes what, 10 minutes to write out a ticket? I would assume if the offender and wife would have kept there mouths shut they would have been out of the traffic stop much quicker. I think that the officer let this go way out of control and should have been more accepting and used a little discretion and let them go. If he thought they really deserved a ticket he could have simply mailed it to them after he let them go. Easy enough. However I see faults on both sides, more so on the Officer who will probably be canned.

4. Can you seriously attempt to make that argument, knowing a family member was inches from dying???

5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Like I said in original post, there are faults on both sides. I guess you can't accept the fact. Too each there own.

6. Try to look at it from a personal perspective though... Let's say (god forbid) your son was dying. Would you have "kept your mouth shut" while a lackadaisical cop wrote you out a ticket?

No offense but if you answer yes, you are lying.

7. Actually, from the videos, it looks like Moats kept his cool fairly well, better than I probably would have in that situation. From my persepective of having been a "Sky Cop" (security police officer) in the USAF for 8 out of the 14 years I was in, this sounds like a case of an officer going on a bit of a power trip. We always told our guys to use some common sense. If the guy had run a red light in the middle of the day with lots of traffic, that would be one thing. BUt this was around midnight, with very few other cars on the road. And when the guy who ran the light ends up parking in a hospital parking lot, well... The cop should be on some sort of job where he doesn't have to interact with the public...

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah I agree with this. There's an awful lot of emotional turmoil coming out at a time like this. Expecting someone to be calm and collected is pretty much asking too much from somebody.

9. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I would tell him what is happening, but then I would have to live with whatever he decided. Yes, I would be pissed if he kept me but I know I would make it worse by arguing with the guy.

No offense taken if you think that is a lie. That is your problem not mine.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You're right. They tried to explain themselves and this cop then cop took a ten minute procedure and escalated it into a pissing contest. Cops are hired to make judgement calls. A rigid adherence to the law is not acceptable, and it makes good PR sense (from a public servant point of view) to not be totally rigid. In this case, the cop should have heard them out. If there was still some doubt on the cops behalf, then this should have been over when the nurse came out to get the driver because his mother was dying. To blatantly stall them, because he has the authority to do so, is not only mean, and vindictive, but it's morally reprehensible and a blatant abuse of power.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    But it's more than being pissed though - their mother/mother in law was minutes from dying. How can you possibly expect someone to just sit there and "yes officer, no officer" the guy? I don't think there are many human beings on this planet that can sit there while a loved one is dying.
    IMO, the cop was a total moron. If he's supposed to be a professional, then he should also be able to recognize when to back off.

12. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Isn't that the truth. This is why the guy should lose his job.

13. So, and again no offense, you'd really be able to live with that decision? Sitting calmly and collected while your son died because you were being a good citizen accepting a traffic citation???

That seems incredibly twisted to me.

14. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    What the cop did was no doubt wrong, but one thing lies in the middle. You have to realize that arguing with a cop while on scene of something is wrong too. If you want to complain about what a cop is doing then take it to a superior, don't argue your case with pee-on cop on a power trip, things will get worse and out of hand just like this incredible example.

15. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Twisted it is, but you make it worse by arguing.

16. I'm sorry you see it as arguing. Just wanted clarification. You've provided that and then some. I'm done now.

17. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Eric I didn't mean that "you" specifically were arguing. I meant that the offender of the traffic violation when arguing makes it worse.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. :)

18. Cool. Sorry, I did take it that way.

19. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I wouldn't have argued with the cop at all.
    I would have handed him my license , went into the hospital with my wife, did what I had to do and deal with the consequences later.

20. Kinda difficult to just hand the guy your material and walk off when the cop in question has pulled out his gun and telling you that you can't go anywhere... Yep, he pulled his weapon. That's one thing that has been mentioned in several of the monday night quarterbacking stuff...yet a traffic offense, according to one of the local attorneys they talked to, isn't one in which a gun should be pulled, unless something a lot more ugly starts going on.

Look, the guy broke the law when he went thru the light. BUt the cop is supposed to show some common sense. Being 'by the book' doesn't cut it in that job. Further, the cop obviously then drew everything out, seemingly deliberately, just to stall things out for a longer time. Just because he could. Heck, I've written tickets for people completely blowing stop signs; took all of five minutes. The cop in this case spent most of that time lecturing the driver about how wrong he was to not stay stopped at the light, etc.