Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NFL Receivers: Who Cares?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah, it's just his opinion, but it's a good one:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/special1/article.adp?id=20040405130809990003

I agree completely, why is it such a big freakin' deal when an NFL receiver does his job??? Especially with the rules so stacked in his favor???

It's like going to McDonald's, and having the cashier do a victory dance when you buy a Big Mac.

:rolleyes:

Thankfully, there are a few out there that aren't like this (Marvin Harrison), but not many. And at least my guy Joe Horn, who gets mentioned for his cellphone act last year :rollno:, has calmed down this year a bit.

2. I'm most likely going against what most people will write about these wide recievers, but here goes: Yeah they're just doing their jobs, but you have to consider a few things; one is that as much respect as people have for the game, it is still that... a game. More specifically actually, it's entertainment. As stupid as everyone might think these guys are, look at what these endzone antics get them- a ton of time in the spotlight. Not only that, but who gets the longest 15 minutes of fame? Those who do the worst things. They're providing entertainment, they know it... bad press (like this) is still press, is still having your name dropped, maybe a couple of your stats.

I might be one of the few, but I actually do find it entertaining when they celebrate... this guy is essentially getting paid millions (yes I know, not all football players make millions, but it's still a lot of money for playing a game) to catch a ball in the least physical position on the field, he might as well do something entertaining once he makes that catch.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree. They are paid to do a job and then get extremely cocky for doing it.

I know its very wrong to say and think, but I'd really love to see these cocky bastards receive a career ending injury. It would humble them in an instant.

Why celebrate when you are just doing what you are paid to do? I also think, some of these guys go beyond celebration to unsportsman like conduct.

I guess their mommies didn't give these show boats enough attention growing up.

4. I could never wish a career ending injury on em, but you know what would be good... throw them into the O-line for a game or practice. Those guys work there asses off blocking guys that range from Freeney like speed to elusiveness to Peppers size and strength and everything in between. Not only that, but how many times do you hear their names during the game? How about having someone go: "Man, that O-line saved the game... without them quarterback woulda been throwin on his rear end the whole day."

5. For a refreshing break from the usual wideout antics, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce of the Rams. Pros. They act like they've been in the end zone before.

6. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The thing is that it gets guys noticed. Sad but true. Quick, off the top of your head; who won the rushing title this year? It's a guy who doesn't have a funky nickname, or an endzone dance, and doesn't talk smack.

Tom

7. Curtis Martin. Class guy.

8. Receivers are hardly the only offenders. Lots of guys on the defensive side of the ball go crazy after making routine tackles. I don't really like the showboating, celebratory stuff, but I'll cut receivers some slack because every time they run a route, there's someone looking to take their head off as soon as the ball gets there.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Agreed about the guys on the defensive side.

I'm not against fun, and a little emotion showing is great - a good thing happened, be happy! - but sheesh, taunting the crowd, or hiding a cellphone in the goalpost padding...gimme a break.

I find Ray Lewis, despite his talent, just as annoying and offensive as Randy Moss.

:spit:

Maybe they'll play each other next year, Randy will run a crossing pattern, Ray will hit him, and they will both receive career-ending injuries in the ensuing melee.

We can only hope...

I want to see Ben Roethlisberger win, mainly because he goes out, he does his job, he enjoys it without being obnoxious about it, and he has talent. Maybe it'll rub off on the other guys when they see a KID come in and do the job well, without being overly demonstrative about it. Hopefully, it will influence the next generation of players to be more classy.

I'm not for the "No Fun League", but let's make the game about the GAME, the TEAM, and not the individual. Especially since the guy making the most "noise" is usually the one doing the least work. How often do linemen moon the crowd, then wipe their @$$ on the goalpost? Or run out to the logo at the center of the field and make a spectacle out of yourself? How many touchdowns would Moss have without the guys protecting the QB??? :rollno:

These clowns need to get over themselves, get some therapy for whatever their individual ailments are, and play the damn game.

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Wow, haha, that's ****ing great :D.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love "purist" talk! If they don't like 'em dancing, keep 'em out of the endzone. Plain and simple.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Javon Walker is the man. Randy Moss skill without Randy Moss attitude.

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm getting to the point where I don't care about ANY professional sports person, team or league. I'm glad there is no hockey. Maybe it will start people thinking.

These people act like 6 year olds. Matter of fact, I know 6 year olds who act better than these people. They are spoiled brats and need to be treatedas such. Unfortunately, this won't change and it's our fault. We watch games on TV, we buy over-priced tickets to go in person, we buy magazines, we buy clothing, etc.

No one is worth the amount of money these "athletes' receive. There should be salary caps, ticket price caps, etc. I think anyone could live comfortably, save for the future and provide for a family on $250,000 a year. Many people do it on $20,000 or less a year.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It doesn't bother me one bit.

As far as the comment about limiting salaries...what are you going to do with all the extra money if it doesn't go to the players?

SteveC....if you were in a band that suddenly "made it", and you guys had tens of millions of dollars, would you give it all away except for $250,000 a year?

-Mike

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    They are worth whatever people will pay them. I'm amazed at all of the animosity pro athletes get. Get over it! They do what they do, and they make what they make. If you don't like it, don't buy a ticket. How would you like a salary cap on what you do? I got pissed off at baseball, I stopped buying tickets. No fuss, no muss.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If I had already made tens of millions of dolllars playing music and they suddenly implemented a $250k salary cap, I would complain, I'd keep on doin what I'm doing. I'd already have the millions so what would I care.

If I was tryin to make it and they had the $250K cap, Id still do it and wouldnt complain. $250k is more than most people make and is more than enough for any family to live on.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I realize everyone will do what they do and make what they make. I watch very little sports on TV and rarely buy a ticket to go to a live event - similar to the baseball comment.

Actually, there is a "cap" on my salary. The pay scale for a teacher in my district tops out at about $48,000. I'd love it to be $250,000. :)

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So, if your band generates $20,000,000 in sales of records and what not, you are fine with only get $250,000 of that? Where wil the rest of the money go after your other band mates get their $250K?

The thing about this is that in pro sports, like music, the money is there. There isn't anything wrong with an athlete getting as much as he/she can since they generate the money.

-Mike

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I agree that the money is there, and I would probably go after it if I was in that position, too. I'm just wondering when people are going to look around and think hey, you know what, things are really messed up on this country and maybe we need to think about what's really important and concentrate on those things instead of putting so much emphasis on entertainment.

Before you flame me for that, no, I don't think sports, music and other "entertainment" should go away, I just think maybe we should step back and get some perspective and priorities.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! We're Americans! We don't care about other stuff!!!!

Unless, of course, it involves Jesus!