Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NFL Training Camps Open - Predictions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ah, football. Many of us here know my passion for football, just as I understand theirs. There is never a season of football when I'm not excited. As training camps open, I say it's time to talk football. Here are what I think to be the most interesting storylines for the season:

• Ricky Williams return: Can he be effective in the #2 slot? Will he be traded soon, and who will take him? Will this mess with Ronnie Brown's psyche or development? Will he be a distraction to the team?
    • Motown's Flyers: With an up and coming running back for the first time since Barry left, and 3 talented receivers, will Joey Harrington be able to produce? How effective will they be?
    • New England's Dominance: Can it remain after losing both of it's coordinators, experiencing Super Bowl hangover, losing Teddi Bruschi, (one of the best, if not the best, MLBs in the game), and losing Joe Andruzzi? These are huge hurdles to get over. Add into that the increasing talent in the AFC, with so many strong teams, and the AFC East is getting stronger and stronger with Buffalo and the Jets expecting to threaten for playoff spots.
    • The NFC: Can they produce a decent team?
    • Vick: Will he continue to develop, or remain largely ineffective in the passing game?
    • Roethlisberger: Will he have a great year again, or is he a one-hit wonder?
    • Cinderalla Teams: Who is this year's San Diego Superchargers? The Cardinals, perhaps?!

So, here are my predictions of the order that teams will finish in their divisions. Colored teams to make the playoffs.

AFC

AFC East
    New England Patriots
    New York Jets

Buffalo Bills
    Miami Dolphins

In this division, the Pats are still the cream of the crop. The questions is whether they'll repeat, not whether or not they'll win the division. The Jets' defense is up and coming, although the loss of Jason Ferguson hurts. Buffalo's defense will be fine, and McGahee will be great, but Losman is still a 2nd year starter with no experience in the first year, so essentially a rookie. The defense won't be good enough to bail him out all year. Miami's defense took a hit, and their offensive line is still pretty weak.

AFC Central
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Baltimore Ravens
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Cleveland Browns

This is a tough division to call, because you just don't know how Roethlisberger will play. Randall-El will be fine in Burress' place, but can Pitt outplay an improved Ravens team. The Bengals are coming up, and could challenge the Ravens, especially as Palmer gets more and more comfortable. With Romeo Crennel, the Browns will improve, but not yet.

AFC South
    Indianapolis Colts
    Jacksonville Jaguars

Houston Texans
    Tennessee Titans

The Colts will remain strong, and hopefully that defense is improved. The Jaguars are really the team to watch. That defense is going to be amazing, and they could sneak up and win the division. The Texans might make the playoffs in another division, as they're definitely getting better. The Titans will disappoint, which sucks when you've got a great QB like McNair.

AFC West
    San Diego Chargers
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Oakland Raiders
    Denver Broncos

The Chargers were not one-hit wonders. They'll stay strong. The Chiefs will be improved, but the AFC is just too deep for them to make the playoffs. The Raiders still have to figure out what to do about the defensive line and linebackers positions, although that offense will be fun to watch, putting up more than 40 several times once they get comfortable. The Broncos are a mess. Just an absolute mess.

NFC

NFC East
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Dallas Cowboys

Washington Redskins
    NY Giants

Philly is still the best team here, no surprises. Dallas will be as solid as their young defensive players can be. The offense and Bledsoe won't be a concern. Watch for Julius Jones to explode. Washington is thin at receiver and doesn't know what to do at QB, where they have too much cap money allocated. NY could surpass the Redskins, but I don't have much faith in Manning.

NFC Central
    Minnesota Vikings
    Detroit Lions
    Green Bay Packers
    Chicago Bears

Minnesota is vastly improved. Moss showed clearly that he wasn't going to take the team to the Super Bowl on his own, so trading him for Darren Sharper, Napolean Harris, Pat Williams, Fred Smoot, and Troy Williamson, and Erasmus James wasn't a bad deal at all. Detroit will be a fun team to watch, but I'm not totally sold on Harrington yet. Green Bay lost too much to really be effective, and Chicago is a couple of years away. Soon, Green Bay will be at the bottom of this division, which will be weird.

AFC South
    Carolina Panthers
    Atlanta Falcons
    New Orleans Saints
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

People forget how good Carolina is. Anchored behind the best defensive line in football, when healthy of course, this team knows how to win. The loss of Muhammed will hurt, but Colbert is coming up and proved effective last year. Atlanta still needs to grow, and with Carolina returning to power, Atlanta doesn't have the steam to stay up there. New Orleans has the most talent, but is a bizarre team, no doubt. They can beat anybody for 5 weeks, then can beat nobody for 8 weeks. Go figure. Tampa is a mess. Just a mess.

NFC West
    Arizona Cardinals
    St. Louis Rams

Seattle Seahawks
    SF 49ers

Why not? Arizona could bust out with an improved defense, and strong offense. Green will pull Warner the moment he cools down. St. Louis is iffy. If they stick to Stephen Jackson he'll get them to the playoffs in a weak division. If they try and get cute, they'll miss out and Atlanta will take their spot. Seattle is over, done. They'll be a .500 team. The 49ers hope to be .500 in 3 years.

THE SUPER BOWL
    Jaguars vs. Panters

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Let's see,

- Ricky Williams is in training camp now, whereas Brown isn't. If Brown continues to hold out on signing a contract, Williams may pull ahead since he is familiar with the NFL and their offensive schemes. Ricky was wearing down, but a year off may have done some good to reinflate the tires. Rastaman has proven he can carry the ball 20-30 times a game, Brown hasn't. But to be honest, with their line and lack of a passing threat, who-evers back there will have a tough time.

- Joey Harrington is a lot better than he is, because his receivers have tendencies to drop the ball. He leads the league in dropped passes every year. The line is improved, and so is the running game so Joey has no excuses. The three wideouts are a dominant unit, but the question is: can they stay healthy? Charles Rogers is talented, but he reminds you a little of Germane Crowell - great when healthy. Roy is either making an incredible one-handed grab, or dropping an easy one. Another guy who had injury problems last year. BMW is a little unknown with a year off, but the pressure isn't on him to make this team a playoff contender. He'll probably come up slowly. If everybody plays to their potential, this unit can be mad scary.

- New England has proven that coaching and scheme will overcome athleticism and high profile players. Will it be enough to win another Superbowl? It was enough before, so there shouldn't be reason now. Unless people have them figured out.

- The NFC north will be an interesting division, in that 3 of the 4 teams were aggressive during the off-season and those teams are young. All hail the Norris!

- Vick will develop. It may not be this year, but he will. Interesting thing is that when these running QBs slow down with age, they can make effective pocket passers. i.e. Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, John Elway. Vick has an amazing arm, and the only thing keeping him from being a freak QB is what's between his ears.

- Rothlisberger will flop if history repeats itself. Ever notice how the Steelers seem to produce one season wonders at QB in recent years? For example, when Kent Graham was struggling, Kordell came in and lit it up. Then after Kordell's season of bliss, a number of mediocre seasons from Slash. To the rescue from the pits of the XFL recycling bin comes Tommy Maddox. Touchdown Tommy has 400 yard passing games, and then the neck injury an the Steelers were in doubt again. To help a struggling Maddox is Big Ben....................................

- Cinderella teams? The Cardinals had an excellent draft and nice acquisitons over the last few years. Denny Green is a good players coach, and should help the young team develop. On the other hand, Denny Green is a choker and it's the Cards. Plus the owners are probably the worst in the biz.
    Da Bears could surprise too. I know I'm being a homer, but the Monsters of the Midway had a top D while playing without big names like Mike Brown, Urlacher, and Tillman for much of the season. The offense can't be any worse than last year. The Bears also made some nice acquisitions on O, so who knows?
    Another Cinderella will be the Lions. The offense has too many weapons, and the D has improved. Boss Bailey is a freak and he's healthy this year. DeMulling improves their line, and Cody could be the versatile D lineman they need. With three dominant receivers, teams will need to be in the nickel alot more than usual, and the number of teams that have enough DBs to cover 3 WRs that are over 6' 3" can be counted on one hand.
    The the Bengals don't bungle they might be able to sneak their way into the playoffs. Palmer has improved steadily, and this could be his break out year. Same goes for CJ. The defense is solid, and they added some veterans like Bryan Robinson to help out the interior D line, and drafted Pollack to help out at the edge. Their 2nd rounder Odell Thurman will help out at LB, he was a great value pick. As long as those guys don't turn into KiJana Carter, they'll be fine. Rudi and Perry could make a nice 1-2 punch at RB to keep the chains moving.

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I predict that the winning percentage of the NFL will be .500.

4. hahaha kijana carter

5. Actually this thread is about training camp, not winning percentages...

I predict I'm not going to make the cut again this year.

Randy

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    As usual, jive is all whacked out when he opens his mouth about football. :D

Ben is a much better QB than Stewart or Maddox. He'll be just fine this year. I doubt the Steelers will go 15-1, but they will have the divison wrapped up by week 13 at the latest. No biggie on Plaxico leaving really. The Steelers don't want any ego's on the team, and that is what Plaxico turned into. Someone always steps in when a "big name" leaves, and the prediction of Randell-El doing so is a good one. I expect a good year from free agent Cedric Wilson also.

-Mike

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Mike, I hope you begin training camp for Tecmo Superbowl, because the day of reckoning will come. From there, my whack talk will become smack talk, which will in the end be the truth.

[​IMG]

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Patriots, duh. Dynasty.

now, on to more pressing topics...

Hockey.

:hyper:

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh boy.. armchair QB is my second favorite past time to amrchair Goalie!! YAY WE GOT DA NHL BACK, but I digress...

• Ricky Williams return: If Ricky's return is legit, he'll take whatever role he's given. Part of me wants to believe the guy, but time will tell. If he and Brown can develop a good working relationship, Miami's running game will either explode, or they'll contend with 2 sandbaggers, instead of one...
    • Motown's Flyers: Joey Harrington needs to get his head on. If he can stay composed, Detrpoit might be a contender.
    • New England's Dominance: They still have the mastermind... and they still have Brady... They may not dominate... but they will win consistently.
    • The NFC: Apart from Philly? I think we have another year of mediocrity from the NFC...
    • Vick: He's got a 10-year contract... What's his motivation to get better at this point?
    • Roethlisberger: If he stays cool, gest sacked a few times, and listens to Cower, he'll do great... otherwise, his head will explode.
    • Cinderalla Teams: I like the Chargers...

AFC

AFC East
    New England Patriots
    New York Jets

Buffalo Bills
    Miami Dolphins

AFC Central
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Baltimore Ravens
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Cleveland Browns

AFC South
    Indianapolis Colts
    Jacksonville Jaguars

Houston Texans
    Tennessee Titans

AFC West
    San Diego Chargers
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Denver Broncos
    Oakland Raiders

while the Broncos are a mess, the Raiders have the nasty habit of self-destructing. Both teams picked up off-season WR's. The difference? Jerry Rice can be a mentor to the youths in Denver. Moss is a temper tantrum waiting to happen.

NFC

NFC East
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Dallas Cowboys
    NY Giants
    Washington Redskins

NFC Norse
    Minnesota Vikings
    Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers
    Chicago Bears

AFC South
    Carolina Panthers
    Atlanta Falcons
    New Orleans Saints
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
    Seattle Seahawks
    Arizona Cardinals

St. Louis Rams
    SF 49ers

I gotta stick my boys over the Lambs... Holmgren is an overrated coach, but I think this might be the year. I agree that SF has a way to go.

THE SUPER BOWL
    Pittsburg vs. Minnesota

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Let's see. Miami Dolphins training camp. Ricky Williams addresses the eager press. He is barefoot and sports a burly beard that seems to cover MUCH of his face. He says he left because of all the NFL rules. Now he is back, but doesn't the NFL still have rules?

Why do I have very little hope for Ricky Williams? This is what I hope. I hope he proves me wrong. (Oh me of little faith.)

Here's where I have never ending faith in the face of overwhelming odds. I predict that the Titans will shine once again just as they did their first season in the Nashville stadium by the Cumberland River. I don't want the Titans to prove me wrong.

11. Great to see more football stuff on here. Here's my take some of the stuff you mentioned, Jazzbo.

• Ricky Williams return: Obviously, he won't be back for the first 4 games, so the Dolphins will get a good look at Ronnie Brown. After that, I expect to see him stay as a back up. I really doubt he can put on the weight he needs to be the dominant power runner he once was - not this season, at least.
    • Motown's Flyers: Provided they get all 3 receivers to actually stay on the field, Harrington will be feeling the heat to produce, especially with Garcia riding the pine behind him. Mariucci might be fairly quick with the hook when he has a backup QB that has been very successful in his system. My assessment of the Lions seems to be the same every year - they always looks like they're ready to breakout, but never do. This year could certainly be different, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    • New England's Dominance: I would bet against a three-peat. Not necessarily because of the losses the team sustained (though they are considerable), more because of the difficulty of such a task in the NFL. I definitely think they will miss Charlie Weiss.
    • The NFC: I would call the Eagles decent. Minnesota could take the next step, and a healthy Panthers team would certainly be decent. There will probably be a moderately surprising team or two in there, as well.
    • Vick: He'll be in the second year of the West Coast scheme, so he should improve to some degree, but I'd be shocked to see him with a 65 percent completion percentage or anything along those lines. He's still too dependant on Crumpler (though his wideouts are admittedly nothing great) and will have to get over that if he wants to be respected as a passer as well as a runner.
    • Roethlisberger: He won't go undefeated in the regular season again, but I think overall he will improve. Those that cite the Steelers' (under Cowher, in particular) history of producing a good quarterback for one year are obviously not Steelers fans - Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart never even came close to being the answer at the position, and fans of the Steelers will tell you this. Even when they played well from a statistical viewpoint, they looked quite average on the field. Ben is already a better decision maker than Maddox ever was, and is far more physically talented than any QB the Steelers have had in recent memory.
    • Cinderalla Teams: I have no idea, to be honest. The Jags would be my sleeper team, but it'll probably be another team with a bunch of players I've never heard of. That's what makes the NFL great.

I hijacked your prediction format, and we're off!

AFC

AFC East
    New England Patriots
    New York Jets
    Buffalo Bills
    Miami Dolphins

I'm not taking any chances here - the Patriots will be tough again. I never know exactly how to feel about the Jets, but on paper, they don't look impressive to me. The Bills defense will continue to play well, but the offense will struggle out of the gate under the rookie Losman - they will be a team to watch in the future. The Dolphins have done nothing to improve their quarterback situation and have lost some good players on defense. They'll be in the cellar for at least one more year.

AFC Central
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Baltimore Ravens
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Cleveland Browns

The Steelers have lost Burress, who was never a truly impressive player to begin with and some depth along the offensive line. Still, if the defense stays true to form, Ben plays well, and the running backs get fed, they will win the division again. The Ravens are switching to the 4-6 defense, and will be fierce on that side of the ball. If Boller is serviceable, they will make the playoffs. The Bengals will play well on offense with Palmer, Johnson, and Johnson, but are still somewhat suspect on defense. The Browns' roster is very, very unintimidating. It'll take a little while for Crennel to right the ship in Cleveland.

AFC South
    Indianapolis Colts
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Tennessee Titans
    Houston Texans

The Colts will continue to be stellar on offense, and the defense will do enough to hand them the division crown. The Jags are going to make a push for the playoffs, but I think they still might be a year away. The Titans could very well finish last in this division, but if McNair plays, they'll have a chance in every game. Houston has lost some pretty decent defensive players, so unless Carr really steps it up, they won't be contenders.

AFC West
    San Diego Chargers
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Oakland Raiders
    Denver Broncos

The Chargers should repeat as division champs as long as Brees doesn't regress. Tomlinson is still the best back in the league. With the additions on defense that the Chiefs have made, I'm giving them a playoff berth here. They were a very good team not long ago, and should have a good season. The Raiders will be tons of fun to watch, but ultimately their defense will not hold up. The Broncos had an absolutely horrible offseason - trading for the entire Browns' defensive line and drafting 3 cornerbacks (not a position of need or even strong talent deep in the draft). They will fall to the bottom of the division.

NFC

NFC East
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Dallas Cowboys

Washington Redskins
    NY Giants

The Eagles, with or without TO, are still the class of the division. They should steamroll through some of the weaker NFC teams. The Cowboys will play great defense and Julius Jones will have an excellent season, with Bledsoe better (hopefully, for the Cowboys' faithful) being better protected than up north. The Redskins will underachieve yet again, but will collect more wins than the Giants, who are not particularly good on either side of the ball. Eli will make strides, though.

NFC Central
    Minnesota Vikings
    Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions
    Chicago Bears

The Vikings will take control of the division - if they don't, Tice will HAVE to be fired. They now have ample talent on both sides of the ball, and Culpepper is really coming into his own. I know better than to count out the Packers - yes, they lost two good offensive guards, but they still have their tackles( a more vital position) and a versatile center. Ahman Green played relatively poorly last year - if he is better this year, the Pack will not be denied a postseason berth. Oh yeah, there's that Favre guy too.
    The Lions will continue to disappoint me, and Harrington will likely be yanked for Jeff Garcia. Charles Rogers might actually play a down though. The Bears will improve and begin implementing a more physical style of football, but they are not ready to contend yet.

AFC South
    Carolina Panthers
    Atlanta Falcons
    New Orleans Saints
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

If the Panthers can stay healthy, they will win the division. They came on late last year and should carry that momentum into this season. I don't feel good about the Falcons - Michael Vick, while electrifying as a runner, is not a particularly accurate passer or sound decision maker. I know it worked out okay last year, but I'm not sold on the team. The Saints, much like the Lions, will probably continue to underachieve - not because of anything I see on their roster but simply because that is what they do best. The Bucs are rebuilding at the moment and while the defense is still solid, there are just too many missing pieces on offense.

NFC West
    Seattle Seahawks
    St. Louis Rams
    Arizona Cardinals
    SF 49ers

The Seahawks should still win this division, even if they still can't beat the Rams. Hasselbeck will play better now that he is resigned and the signing of Walter Jones should help straighten up the offensive line in training camp and thus in the regular season as well. The Rams are still a threat on offense, but the defense is not up to snuff and Martz will make some wacky decisions. They could make the playoffs if Bulger is lights-out, but he has always struck me as rather erratic, especially for someone with so many weapons. The Cardinals, though improved, will be hard-pressed to protect Kurt Warner and though decent, their defense likely won't compensate. The 49ers will be woeful....I won't even bother explaining why.

THE SUPER BOWL
    Steelers (yeah, I'm a homer) vs. Panthers.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I hope TO doesnt show up to training camp... gets fired and no team would take him... i am so sick of media covrage on that guy... I was trying to watch training camp covrage today... but after 10 minutes on TO and how he is being a pensy again i got sick of it and didnt learn a damn thing besides Seeomg our new QB talk for 5secs.

Jazzbo... how you like our new QB... sounds pretty cool... 6/48mil... thats a lot of money... hope he is worth it:)

Cheers

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Only one prediction matters, and that is, the Packers will finish ahead of the Bears. I also will RELISH when the Viqueens CHOKE again despite their supposed "better" defense. You Queenie bandwagoners didn't see Darren Sharper "play" last year, did ya?

14. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Actually, the title of this thread is "NFL Training Camps Open - Predictions."

15. i say the packers should do well this season
    and i am interested to see how the vikings do without moss

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You mean Smith, right? I think he's got a sweet deal... If he earns the Starting nod, it's worth it.. if Rattay somehow manages to figure something out? who knows? 8 mil a year is a lot for a second stringer!!

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Well the first thing he said was that he will fight for starting position... i think he will get it very soon since we dont have a qb:)

i dont know if that will save us... there is a reason i think we dont have a qb... we dont protect them enough:) It will be good to see 9ers play again...

...and not look like 13 year old girls on a football field...

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    EARTH TO JO! COME IN, JO!

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Rothlisberger...

Where'd this guy go to school again? Miami of Ohio... When you grow up in the state of Ohio, there's only ONE in state school, that you go to if you want to play football. If Ohio State passed on this guy, there's a reason.

The only reasons they were successful w/ him at the helm, is they didnt ask him to do anything, AND they built a scheme around his inabilities... AND the return of The Bus.

The Steelers have NO chance of repeating this year, tho they will be compitent.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ohio State recruited Ben. He CHOSE to go to Miami. I know you Columbus guys all have your heads planted in the scarlett and gray bunghole, but at least get your facts straight before you post. Ben grew up in my area of the world and didn't start at QB until his senior season in High School (His Junior year, he played tight end/wideout because the head coaches son played QB.)

As far as the Steelers repeating their success of last year, I could care less, I'm a Packer fan.