NFL Week 1 Gentlemen Start Your Engines!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Sep 4, 2010.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Preseason is history. Final cuts coming momentarily. Hard to believe, but off we go!

Pack at Philadelphia

I'm guessing it's going to be a few games before Philly gets it feet under itself. Without McNabb and Westbrook, Pack wins, but not easily

Pack 34 Philly 21

Game of the week: Queens - Aints
    Should not be a contest and Favre regrets coming back.
    Aints 42 Queens 24

2. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Vikings beat the aints 35-0. Gard goes into a deep depression and quits his job, gets new job as Bret Farves houseboy.:bag:

3. pah! you wish. if the saints don't beat the vikings by at least 2 touchdowns i'll eat some pasta (yum).

Meanwhile the Pats get a visit from The Real World Cincinnati... 31-21

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Indy at Houston. Houston had a hard time stopping Dallas Clark last year with Cushing. His four game suspension to start the year will hurt them; especially in this game.

I'm ready for the first team D to bring it. Should be superior to last year. Biggest question mark at this point is the O-line. If they give Addai some lanes and Peyton some time 27-17. If the run gets shut down and Peyton has to take the dump-off pass all game 17-14.

5. Pick 'em ALL or stay home, folks! ;)

Here we go:

Cleveland @ Tampa Bay - A "Who Cares?" game to start the season, eh? ;) Cleveland has just enough to pull it out here. Cleveland 23 Tampon 13

Miami @ Buffalo - The Chan Gailey era begins in Buffalo. Looks a lot like the Dick Jauron era. ;) Miami 24 Buffalo 10

Cincinnati @ New England - Tough, close game here. Cincy isn't going to implode - YET, but the Patsies appear to have gotten their ship right. Cincinnati 24 New England 31

Indianapolis @ Houston - Houston ain't there yet. Indy still is. Indianapolis 35 Houston 24

Denver @ Jacksonville - Rude welcome home for Teblow. Denver just ain't as good as they believe they are. Denver 17 Jax 27

Atlanta @ Pittsburgh - Tough one to call, Atlanta's defense is still very suspect, but I don't think Pittsburgh's offense has what it needs to exploit it. However, Pittsburgh's DEFENSE has what it takes to shut down Atlanta's highly over-rated offense. Low scoring win for the home team. Atlanta 13 Pittsburgh 20

Oakland @ Tennessee - Oakland will be much better this season. They won't look like it in this game. Oakland 13 Tennessee 31

Carolina @ NY Giants - Carolina's offense has been....offensive...this preseason. Don't expect a change, other than their running game, which is very good, they got NUTTIN'. Unfortunately, that just means a very solid run defense can pin their ears back and beat the crap out of the running game. Which they will do. Carolina has a decent defense, but not going to matter much this season. Won't matter at ALL this game. Carolina 10 NY Giants 24

Arizona @ St. Louis - Man, this has all the makings of either a barn-burner or a real stinker. Cards are a team in disarray, Rams are a team...er....are they a team? :meh: Home field 3 win. Arizona 17 St. Louis 20

Green Bay @ Philadelphia - The beginning of the Kevin Kolb era in Philly. He will make you Iggles fans lament the departure of Donovan, mark my words. They'll get a pretty good start at it right out of the gate, as GB will bury them here. Green Bay 35 Philly 13

San Francisco @ Seattle - Not even a game. SF isn't a world beater, but Seattle is hopeless right now. SF's defense wins this one for them, plus a dose of Frank Gore. San Francisco 24 Seattle 6

Dallas @ Washington - Guh. I wish Washington was as good as I wished right now, because any [email protected]$$ loss is a good one. However, not today. Closer than Cowgirls fans will like though. Dallas 24 Washington 23

MNF Doubleheader:

Baltimore @ NY Jets - Bubble bursting time right out of the gates. Baltimore actually has an offense to go with that defense now. Jests on the other hand...still can't get Revis Island to show up, and Cromartie is NOT an island. Then there's the Sanchize. Yeah...no! Too much Ravens D for the Jets O; too much Ravens O for the Jets D. Baltimore 27 Jets 20

San Diego @ Kansas City - Snoozer-city game. San Diego will again look like world beaters, because they play in what must be the weakest division in the NFL. They'll win this one comfortably, and begin to yet again make the Blots fans smell a Super Bowl, only to be let down in the first round of the playoffs, when they play an actual NFL football team. ;) San Diego 31 Kansas City 20

THE GAME:

Minnesota @ New Orleans - REVENGE!!! THEY PLAYED DIRTY!!! THE REFS CHEATED TO PUT THE 'AINTS IN THE SUPER BOWL, BUT THE VIKINGS REALLY WERE THE BETTER TEAM!!!!

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...been hearing the same whiny garbage out of the mouths of the Whinequeen fans, players, coaches, and portions of the MSM (I'm lookin' at YOU Mike Florio, you idiot) since the NFCCG.

coughcoughcoughcoughbull$4!7coughcoughcoughcough

I won't rehash all the claims in detail (dirty, late hits on FAR-VUH!!! Yeahright...hey, pansyboys, it's FOOTBALL, deal with it; they outgained the Saints - really? How about we add in the facts that 1) the Saints totally dominated in ST yardage, and adding that yardage to their offensive output, there was an EIGHTY YARD DIFFERENCE IN TOTAL YARDAGE, dummies; and 2) if you turn the ball over 5 times, you didn't outplay ANYONE, moron...oh yeah, I wasn't gonna do that! ;) ), no matter what, there is NO revenge here - the Saints won the NFCCG, they won the SB, there's no challenging it, no changing it.

This game - the turning point will be this: can Brent FAR-VUH stay on his feet?

The answer: NO.

Minnesota has an exceedingly BAD offensive line, particularly with regards to pass blocking. They did nothing in the offseason to address the issue. Further, the only reliable blitz pickup blocker they had, Chester Taylor, is now in Chicago. New Orleans has actually IMPROVED their defensive line this offseason, and will put even more pressure on the passing game, without having to resort to blitzing as much (get used to hearing the name Junior Gallette, fast, strong, mean kid).

On defense, Minnesota has retained the same front 7, great run defense, no doubt. However their secondary resembles my favorite spaghetti strainer. New Orleans still has all 11 starters, including the offensive line that SHUT OUT the Vikes defensive front 7 vis-a-vis sacks in the NFCCG. Result: disaster for the Vikes D this time, as Brees stays on his feet long enough to pick the Vike secondary apart like a school of piranha going after a baby bird in the water (yeah, they'll knock him down a few times, and the ex-Mullet Moron will probably try to walk away with Drew's foot tucked under his arm again...but y'know that's not unsportsmanlike conduct, is it? :spit: ;) ).

Not even close, folks.

Minnesota 23
    New Orleans 42

If they knock FAR-VUH out (which is entirely possible on any play this season, against any team, with his situation), it will be even uglier...

TWO DAT!!!!

:hyper:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Gard........Let go of all that drama from last year. You won, you're the Champs. Don't worry about what people who don't even post here say. When you're on top, there are always people looking to drag you down.

Steelers win behind Troy and Dixon.

-Mike

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Gard: I'm surprised you're giving Bert even that many TDs. You guys better paste him to the frickin turf with utter regularity.

8. Egh. Wrong. From the always right ESPN...

"Texans 34, Colts 31
    Look at it this way: Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell won't have to worry about a perfect season. Texans quarterback Matt Schaub, who threw for more yards than anybody last season (even Peyton Manning) hooks up with stud wideout Andre Johnson, and a late field goal sinks Indy. Too many early questions about the injured offensive line."

Matt Schaub last year...

98.6 passer rating. 4,770 passing yards. 29 touchdowns.

Andre Johnson...

101 receptions. 1569 yards. 9 TDs.

Show me a tandem like that on the Colts. Add to that an upgraded Texans backfield, a stronger secondary, and a horrible Colts O-line thats pretty much just patchwork. I see a Texans win, ask the Cowboys starters how easy it is to get shutout by the Texans defense, then ask how easy it is to get ran over by their offense every drive.

9. San Francisco @ Seattle

Well, I was encouraged by change this year, as I was last year, and Holman's final season the year before, but... Reality is setting in again.

Trying to be optimistic:

SF 17 Sea 10

10. I'd be very happy to, and will do exactly that, once either 1) the Saints finish off what they started in the NFCCG, 2) the Whinequeen fans, players, and coaches would stop bringing it up, or 3) both of the above.

:)

11. You wanna talk about how well your boys played in PRESEASON? :)

How 'bout the week before the Cowpatty game? They didn't look so hot in NOLA, did they? ;)

I'm not letting ESPiN get in my head, they don't know anymore than I do about the game. :spit:

12. Hey, I believe we officially and permanently retired the "'Aints" stuff, eh?

:p

13. Call it a going away present for Mr. FAR-VUH. ;)

(i.e. T-Jack gets at least ONE of the TD's :D )

14. We didn't play all starters that game. PLUS are you saying you guys aren't better than the Cowboys?

15. Dude, preseason is all about your castoffs playing my castoffs. My point is that NEITHER game told us jack or schitt.

I don't see how the Texans will take the Colts.

16. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    can we? CAN WE? oh, if we can retire this 5 year old "cowgirl/cowpatty/ray-duhss/crows/whatever pathetic, low brow, immature grade school crap id be just that bit happier. or maybe im just not clever enough to get it...

17. Did you watch the Texans Cowboys game? Both teams played starters 'til I think the 4th quarter (probably for rivalry purposes), score up 'til then was something like 24-0.

I think they'll win if the defense doesn't just turn abysmal that game. Besides the D-Line the Colts defense isn't that great at defending the pass (as you've seen). Andre Johnson is the undisputed best WR in the league, Mario Williams and the whole Texans D-line has really stepped up, we did lose a great secondary player to Atlanta in Robinson but we should be fine. And Matt Schaub had more yards than Peyton last year, who really has no big recievers besides the aging Reggie Wayne.

18. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I'm in, :hyper:. I'm up for the cut & paste thang too. Fact I'm gonna go one further and use your posts as templates.

How lazy am I?:smug:. I just say I'm being resourceful.;)

Cleveland @ Tampa Bay - A "Who Cares?" game to start the season, eh? Cleveland has just enough to pull it out here. Cleveland 13 Tampa 7 Agreed on sentiment with much lower scoring estimate.

Miami @ Buffalo - The Chan Gailey era begins in Buffalo. Looks a lot worse than his Cowboys tenure. Miami 31 Buffalo 17
    UPSET DIV WINNERS START STRONG

Cincinnati @ New England - Tough, close game here. Cincy isn't going to implode - YET, but the Patsies appear to have gotten their ship right. Cincinnati 24 New England 31 AGREED

Indianapolis @ Houston - Houston shows some fight but not quite enough to beat Indy . Indianapolis 35 Houston 31

Denver @ Jacksonville - Denver just ain't as good as they believe they are, but Jacksonville's still in worse shape. Denver 17 Jax 7

Atlanta @ Pittsburgh - Atlanta has a good offense/ weaker defense. Pittsburg has a fair offense with a terrible QB situation/ Excellent but aging D. We're just now seeing Tomlin's crews abilities as he settles in as HC. I don't think he compares with the Pittsburg standard of coaches. I think Tomlin is good, but not enough. Atlanta 24 Pittsburgh 13

Oakland @ Tennessee - Oakland will be much better this season. NOT! They WILL look like DOOKIE in this game. Oakland 10 Tennessee 27

Carolina @ NY Giants - Carolina's offense has been....offensive...this preseason. Don't expect a change, other than their running game, which is very good, they got NUTTIN'. Unfortunately, that just means a very solid run defense can pin their ears back and beat the crap out of the running game. Which they will do. Carolina has a decent defense, but not going to matter much this season. Won't matter at ALL this game. Carolina 10 NY Giants 24 AGREED

Arizona @ St. Louis - Man, this has all the makings of either a barn-burner or a real stinker. Cards are a team in disarray, Rams are a team...er....are they a team? Cards are TOO skrood up. The Leinert thung this late in the game will bite 'em in the azz. Arizona 7 St. Louis 17

Green Bay @ Philadelphia - The beginning of the Kevin Kolb era in Philly. He will make you Iggles fans lament the departure of Donovan, mark my words. They'll get a pretty good start at it right out of the gate, as GB will bury them here. Green Bay 35 Philly 13 AGREED ON ALL COUNTS

San Francisco @ Seattle - I see San Fran being better than expected this Season Singletary won't allow otherwise. San Francisco 27 Seattle 13

MY GAME :hyper:. Dallas @ Washington -I think both Dallas & Washington will do better this season. Shanahan/McNabb will improve things for the Skins but those two won't be enough. Dallas will unveil a bit of their hand for the year against division rivals Dallas 31 Washington 13

MNF Doubleheader:

Baltimore @ NY Jets - No Revis no Jets win, unless they show something new. Baltimore 17 Jets 10

San Diego @ Kansas City - SD gave LT walking papers. They won't be as fantastic this season. Fantastic enough to stomp KC though. San Diego 35 Kansas City 10

Minnesota @ New Orleans - NO will make the front office idjuts that HAD TO HAVE Farve rather than getting new talent REGRET that decision.

Farve's choice to "wait" to have the ankle surgery so that it just so happened to coincide with, and more importantly, give him an excuse to miss the majority of camp, may indeed end his career during this game. 41 year old feets don't heal like 26 year old feets. And IF Farve survives, he'll make good use of them feets all night RUNNING.

NO- 35 MINNESOTA-21

:D

God Bless, Ray

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You're getting distracted. The Saints finished the deal last year, end of story.

This isn't about going after one player and hoping to end his career. Favre and the Vikings are in your head bro. Cast them out. BE GONE YOU DEMONS!

-Mike

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Petyon Manning: 99.9 passer rating, 4500 yards, 33 tds, 10 sacks taken
    Dallas Clark: 100 receptions, 1106 yards, 10 TDS.

How is that for a comparable tandem? I added the sacks to show the major discrepency between the two QBs.

Behind "an aging Reggie Wayne (100 receptions, 1264 yards, 10 TDS)" is Dallas Clark (stats above), Pierre Garcon (47 receptions, 765 yards, 4 TDS), Anthony Gonzalez (57 receptions, 664 yards, 4 TDs in 2008), and Austin Collie (60 receptions, 676 yards and 7 TDS as a rookie).

So a pretty solid receiving corp if you ask me. I'll expect similar production out of them for the remainder of the prime of Manning's career.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021