Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NFL Week 1 Matchup Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jazzin', Sep 11, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

So, who's going to win? How about them Sunday and Monday Nighters? Good matchups.

*Go Falcons.

2. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Well I'm a Steelers fan, so them.

I'd say Sunday night: Colts
    Monday night: Falcons

That's a tough one. I guess it depends a lot on the Eagles receiving sucess.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
  4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's halftime of the Bears-Redskins game as I type this. If the Bears can't get their offense in gear, it's going to be a looong season. The Redskins will probably win holding the Bears to a shutout. Though I hope it doesn't happen that way. :bawl:

edit: Of course, then the Bears go and score on their first drive after halftime. Don't look so bad now, let's see them keep it up.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Roethlisberger is lookin' good for his first game of his second season.

My main fantasy team is doing horribly. I have like 10 pts. Culpepper has like -4 pts for me. GRRRR!

6. Miami won! Ronnie Brown hurt his shoulder but they still managed. Frerotte went 24/36 and the D looked pretty good. Obviously I don't expect them to be Super Bowl contenders but it's a pleasant start after last year.

7. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20050911_NO@CAR

:hyper: :) :hyper: :) :hyper: :) :hyper: :) :hyper: :)

Man, did that put a smile on my face! Brooks looked solid, the D played decent and Karney was solid as a rock, kicking the game winner with 7 seconds to go. Here's to the Saints riding that monentum into their "home" opener at the Giants.

Bob

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the bears shot themselves in the foot on their second to last offensive drive.

3 false starts in a row, then orton gets sacked for another 10.5 yards

monday night? the iggles of course

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    PUSSYCATS 17 PACKERS 3: Everybody was talking about how bad the Packers defense is, my question is, Is their offense really that bad? Don't worry, I'm still a long way from getting excited about my pussycats, yet. They started last year 4-2, including a nice win over the Falcons. Never get excited to early with my pussycats. :D Their play calling was still way to conservative, two third and longs in a row they called running plays with three first round wide receivers out there. USE THEM :eyebrow:

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    The Giants were awesome. That made my day.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wow..a truly pathetic performance by my Packers. Our defense was MUCH better than it was supposed to be, but the offense was horrible. It didn't help that Jeff Triplette and his crew have no business officiating an NFL game. I certainly would almost never blame officiating for a loss, but that was the most one sided officiating job I've ever seen in my life. EVERY damn time the Packers made a play, out came the yellow flag, usually "late". Two of the hands to the face calls on Carroll were ludicrious, the roughing call on Barnett was bogus, and the pushoff on Javon Walker was horsecrap too. I noticed they didn't even replay that. A ball bouncing off the ground was called an interception..but that was par for the course for this game. Of course, that's NO excuse for a supposedly good offense scoring THREE FRIGGIN POINTS. Now it looks like Javon is out for the year with an ACL. It ain't lookin good for my beloved Packers. Ah well, as consolation, at least the hated Viqeens and Bores also lost, and looked horrible.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Steelers looked just fine today. Football just the way Cowher likes it......smash mouth and in your face defense. Ben only threw it 11 times!!! Good to see Joey Porter out there playing. I was impressed with Parker, he'll be a fine replacement for Staley. I'm still looking forward to seeing Bettis out there though. By the way, Staley is starting to look like a bust. Poor guy has been hurt on and off since the Steelers signed him.

Houston Texans next week, so it looks like Ben will go 15-0 as a starter in the regular season.

-Mike

13. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Haha I don't know about 15-0.... but I do think it will work out well if their line does that good of a job every game. I can't see the games :bawl: but from the highlights I saw, the holes he had to run through were very nice. Some of it was him, but the initial 4-5 yards were the line. Which is how it's supposed to be; so great!

Good defense, too.

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  15. Just absolute domination by the Steelers today! I'll reserve judgment of the team as a whole for when they play a real defense, but I was definitely impressed by Willie Parker and Ben. Aside from the first drive, I liked what I saw out of the defense too, especially since the Titans are still pretty good offensively. Hopefully Ben's performance will silence his critics - I grew tired of hearing fellow Pittsburgh fans bash him because of a poor preseason.

God, I love football.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Going back to last season, 14-0 IS Ben's record as a starter after today. I'm thinking the Texans game will be another Steeler win, which is why I said 15-0.

-Mike

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My Seahawks sucked it up... damn seahawks...

but dang.. Nolan might be the magic elixir!!!

Next week will be tough against Philly..

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Cheese, You were my hero until you tried to blame the striped jersey's for the pack's pathetic performance. Face it my Pussycats were a better team today, especially at the line of scrimmage. No guarantees for tomorrow though, they are the pussycats for a reason. :D

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, after Sports Illustrated's cover, and all the talk in the press in general about how the Panthers were a "lock" to go to the SuperBowl this year, and all of the Katrina stuff...

...man it really was good to watch the Saints play well, on the road, distracted, and BEAT the team that everyone was ready to just anoint the NFC Champions.

:hyper:

:D