1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NFL Week #18 The Playoffs - wildcard round

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    NFC
    New Orleans over Detroit
    Giants over Atlanta

AFC
    Houston over Cincy
    Pittsb over Denver

2. NFC:

Saints over Lions
    Giants over Falcons

AFC:

Bengals over Texans
    Steelers over Broncos

Texans are just not the team they were with Schaub, and their D has not been as intimidating the past few weeks. Don't see them advancing (but I'm pulling for them to do so, I like Yates, and want to see him do well).

3. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    As a Pats fan I am rooting for the Benglas next week. Hopefully Santa Claus is a little late and will bring New England a pass rush and secondary this week.

I see the Bengals & Steelers winning in the AFC & Saints & Giants advancing in the NFC

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Should be some good games, quite hoping for an upset or two.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    New Orleans 41
    Lions 36

The Lions keep it close provided they get anything close to a decent whistle and don't get any points taken away by a legally blind ref.:D

But the Lions aren't in the same class as NO, offensively or defensively which is pretty much what I said in the beginning of the season when I said in the NFC it was the Packers, Saints, and everyone else.

NY Giants 31
    Atlanta Falcons 24

NY is getting hot at the right time, and Tuck seems to be taking it to a different level. I'm also not convinced Matt Ryan has recovered from the Packer decimation of last year in the playoffs. He's seemed a bit shellshocked at times through out the season. The Giants pass rush and better QB play make the difference.

Bengals -Texans. I haven't watched either team enough to make a judgement at this point.

Steelers 24
    Denver 10

The Bronco's are pretenders in this bunch, they would not be close to a playoff team in the NFC. Tebow has a lot of work to do and is too one dimensional to beat the Steelers D, even though it doesn't seem as dominant as years past. The QB play will decide this one. Not that it really matters, the best team in the AFC would have trouble with any of the NFC's wildcards.

6. ...the loser's limp is already starting, and it's 5 days before kickoff!!!!

;)

(...and by the way, it won't be THAT close. Unlike the Lions [and the Packers, for that matter], the Saints can actually play some DEFENSE.)

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Amazing, I say your team is going to win, I say my team isn't in the same class with your team, and you pile it on. I'm glad I'm not married to you. :D

Although I suspect you're glad of that too.:p

:bag:

8. Dude, I'm not piling anything on. I'm pointing out that your team is one step away from being Oakland Raiders BAD at playing within the rules, and that you complaining about the refs is ludicrous. Again, it's a failing of your coaching staff, and until they figure it out, get used to a lot of laundry on the field at Lions games.

It's one thing to bitch about an extraordinarily egregious call or two, but to constantly whine about every one? Get over it...there's a REASON for it happening to the Lions - they don't play within the rules, either because they don't want to, or don't know how to.

...as for the rest of your comments...whatever.

9. If Stafford can ride the wave of that sick, sick game from yesterday, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the upset. I think NO is the better team, but that means very little in the NFL.

I'm also pickin' Cincinnati, N.Y. and Pittsburgh (in a romp, I'll add. I like Tebow, but he hasn't faced a Dick LeBeau defense till now).

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    "Remember the Seahawks!"

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm taking Denver. Farrior and Foote aren't strong enough anymore to tackle someone as strong as Tebow. Troy will go out early when he gets a head injury trying to make a play of the decade. Harrison will hit himself so hard, he gets ejected. Ryan Clark won't play because of sickle cell, which is actually a good thing.

Ben is hurting, Mendenhall is out. The Steeler offense will disappear.

Tebow will work his magic and add another chapter to the legend.

-Mike

12. GeoffT

GeoffT

Aug 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Lions have probably committed less stupid dead ball penalties (personal fouls and pre-snap penalties) in the last 3-4 weeks than they did in the Saints game alone. I hate to break it to you but the coaching staff and the players have figured it out.

It is a much different Lions team coming to town this week. Much more focused, O is playing lights out and finally scoring some first half points. Check Staffords numbers compared to Brees over the last 3 weeks, just about even. Lions did it against 8-8 or better teams not the Vikings and Panthers. Megatron has 550+ yards and 4 TDs in that span, good luck finding any reciever that ever put up those kind of numbers over a 3 game span. Wanna double him up and shut him down? Great, Stafford will just find Pettigrew, Scheffler, Young, Smith, or Burleson, they will be open and can put up points just as fast. Stafford and Calvin have beaten double coverage quite a bit lately too. Lions were also without their 3 best players on D last time, Suh and Houston will be playing and it is looking good for Delmas to return.

Saints are tough at home and definitely should be the favorites but I like the Lions chances to come in and shock the league with a W. If only Payton and Co. thought it was gonna be as much of a cakewalk as everyone else does.....unfortunately he knows what he's doing and will be prepared for a hungry, hot team with a ton of weapons coming to town. Should be a great game no matter who wins.

13. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

Your not serious. If your kidding, I apologize in advance. Then again, you have been on Timmy's band wagon all year. ;)

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    As a lifelong Steeler fan, I am serious. I am taking Denver.

The Steelers can play great defense, but they don't do it all the time. What I say about Farrior/Foote I believe to be true. Same with Troy. The Steelers defense could show up and dominate, which I'd be happy about. They could show up all "ho hum, this is gonna be easy", and get beat. Considering Ben is injured and Mendenhall is out, I'm taking the latter. I'd like to be wrong though.

-Mike

15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Giants -28
    Carrots-14

all the way to "The Event Horizon"!!! :cool:

16. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Your wrong. The Steelers will win.

17. If you haven't followed the NCAA football threads the past few years, you don't understand WHY Mikey is all over the Tebow train. He has been since he was the QB at UF...

...fear not, LeBeau and the Steelers D will finish the job of knockin' little Timmy back to earth. Maybe he'll cry like he did at Tiger Stadium...

(...as much as Mike likes Tebow, I loathe him and his pious attitude... ;) )

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh yeah, the four point loss in 2007. The one time LSU beat the Tebow led Gators. That game was disappointing for sure.

The other three times Tebow and his Gators won, your boys were the ones crying. Remember the night in 2009, when we found out Death Valley isn't so scary on Saturday night after all? How long was that streak the Gators snapped?

:)

-Mike

19. I'm not writing Cincy off yet.....Houston has been playing poorly. Cincy hasn't set the world on fire either, but I think that match-up is close, and I'm going for Cincy.

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

To be fair, Tebow really doesn't have an attitude, it's all those bandwagon fans who were crowing about him being "God's QB."