1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL Week #21 2014 The Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 20, 2015.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    That actually gets on my nerves. It's bad enough seeing them shove Nike down our throats every chance they get, now they're hawking their own brands? It's like all these rappers with their own vodkas.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I hear you. I grew up on Ivy League ball, but of course even that has its own sometimes unsavory money culture aspects.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  3. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    I agree with everyone's comments regarding the branding / imaging that the NFL stars push during their careers (not to mention the NBA...). I guess that is why, when all is said and done - this is really just entertainment. And if there is a way to profit, people will find a way.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I heard Col. Tom Parker did the same thing when Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show. He sold both "I love Elvis" and "I hate Elvis" buttons.

1551980_1_l.jpg

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That was in Denver. I remember it.

-Mike

6. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Side note- did any of you guys catch the special on Boz recently on 30 for 30 - http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=brianandtheboz ? I thought it was interesting to say the least. Amazing how a horrible father can really mess up a person for their adult years and then some....

MJ5150 likes this.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep, quite an interesting show, as are many others in that series.

MJ5150 likes this.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I watched that 30 for 30 on Boz. I liked it. I'm watching the one on Marcus Dupree now, 'The Best That Never Was'.

Reports are circulating that Seattle has offered Lynch a huge contact. Clever timing by the front office if it's true.

-Mike

Selta likes this.
  9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I agree with you to up to a point. I don't mind if they celebrate a touchdown; for me, it's how they celebrate. I've seen running backs push their teammates away (including the offensive linemen, without whom they couldn't have scored in the first place) just so they can do a self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing "dance" which looks ridiculous and just adds insult to injury.

My all-time favorite end zone celebration was when a running back (I think it was Emmitt Smith) handed the ball to one of his lineman and let him spike it. Unfortunately, players can't do that anyone because it falls under the "no choreographed end zone celebrations involving teammates" rule (sigh).

GregC and Jeff K like this.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Cool. I remembered it because I've been a Seahawks fan since day 1. Boz was a media highlight, and I'm sure it was intentional on his part. Too bad his shoulders were totaled before he even reached the NFL. Back in those days Seattle was in the AFC West so I thought it was in KC...but Denver makes sense.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I love how many times I've heard that over the past few months. Yup, apparently everyone has been a fan "since day 1" and no one's a bandwaggon fan.

Bipslapper likes this.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

So let's see....my family moved to Washington in 1960. I grew up there, have two degrees from Washington State University, have family across the state, have about 40 hours scuba diving in Puget Sound, have friends all through the west side of the state, and yes, have actually followed the team since its inception.

Bandwagon? Hardly.

And I'm not quick to disdain any fans of any team, because people like winners. I don't see the problem.

And lest you wonder, I have been a Packers fan since I first became aware of pro football in the 60's. That doesn't mean I can't follow both teams, although the NFL created a problem for me when they moved Seattle to the NFC in direct competition for playoff spots with the Pack.

ryco likes this.
  13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Wasn't saying that you needed to bring up your family history, nor was I calling you a bandwaggon fan. Chill a bit. I was just pointing out that over the past 2-3 months, I've heard that phrase or some very like it repeated quite a lot. In a number of cases, by people who I personally know it is not true of.
    But yup, it's cool to jump on a bandwaggon when the team is doing well, then jump back off once things get rocky.

14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    They had a good joke on SNL this week. "I've been a Seahawks fan since the beginning... of 2013"

MJ5150 and Selta like this.
  15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Gawd ferbid guys who are going to be suicidal and demented eventually try to make as much money as they can while they can. Whether he's an astute marketer, just plain weird, or a little of both, I don't care. They ought to give Clarence Thomas's supreme court seat to Marshawn Lynch.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I will happily admit to being a bandwagon fan. Baseball is the true religion.

As far as players marketing whatever makes them money, I'm all for it. They are essentially well paid physical laborers whose bodies and brains get beat to ribbons in a short time. They will be ex-players a whole lot longer than they will be making big paydays as players. Their skills are in high demand for a while, then they are discarded, like so much paper in the recycle bin. Some can go on to other careers, but some really can't. Some have mental issues from the pounding, let alone physical issues. If they cash in while they can, they would be foolish not to.

I could actually see Richard Sherman running for office or being a judge one day. Lynch will run football camps and be some kind of youth councilor in Oakland, and he will probably be very good at it. The rest of them? Who knows. Some will die broke, some will be on television, some will end up in jail, some will go on to business success and failure. Just like the rest of us, actually, except the rest of us probably have an easier time getting out of bed in the morning for most of our lives. Their joints can't be in good shape when they retire.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Bipslapper likes this.
  17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Yeah, but football is my escape from people shoving BS down my throat. I know I know, the NFL is big business just like everything else. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That was the dumbest play call I've ever seen in my life. Unreal.

Solarmist, Marial, Philonius and 9 others like this.
  19. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

great game.

great Punchup too !

congrats to the Pats, commiserations to Seattle fans.

But, the Pats are NOT World Champions, they are USA Champions, be happy with that

20. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Anyone else dumbfounded? Or even better, is anyone not?