1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL Week #21 - Pro Bowl - Game on Baby!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Ah....no. This is the biggest joke of a thread and game there is. I'd rather be puking my guts out than watching it. Mods, feel free to delete at any time.

Here's an old, but relevant Rockwood, for 'ol times sake Rockwood Lodge

MJ5150 likes this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Any thread with Rockwood Lounge is worth keeping around.

I remember back in the day, I used to go to the Pro Bowl every year. It was a great time. The NFL really ruined the whole thing, along with social media, endorsements, and whatnot.

-Mike

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I haven't watched the Pro Bowl game in about 40 years. Baseball's All Star game is good, NBA is streetball, so interesting , and the NHL managed to take away the fear of injury while still having a game that can be interesting.

MJ5150 likes this.
  4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I used to love the competitions and skill comps they had in the day. There were bragging rights on the line. QB skills comp, fastest man in the NFL. I dug it. The game was always sorta secondary to that. For me at least.

MJ5150 likes this.
  5. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    I despise when people measure a player's greatness by the amount of Pro Bowls they played in. FIRST TEAM ALL PRO. That's the real barometer.

6. Funky Ghost

If the fan quotient were excluded from the pro bowl inclusion process I would like it more. Still, they only account for 1/3 of the vote. Since it's players and coaches who nominate them I think the number of pro bowls you've been in does indeed count for something. Of course being a first team all pro matters as well but seeing as how it's process is by writers, who have fans to appease, and agendas to attend ( in some cases ) I find it a more fallible barometer personally.

7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    When it comes to the game itself, I would almost rather see it be a flag football game. You KNOW no one is blitzing or trying hard on the line, because no one wants to get hurt in any way. Some of the attempts at "effort" have been almost comic - that's why I can't watch it.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  8. Funky Ghost

Back in the day it always seemed like a vacation for the players with one "bring your kid to work day" type bit in the middle of it.

Just do the skills competition and maybe a player talent contest where they make up bands from the musicians in the NFL and we get a battle of the NFL bands :D I'd be down with that.

GregC, mrpackerguy and Gaolee like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

That would be outstanding!

Funky Ghost likes this.
  10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Heck, how about a flag football game with just the linemen for a quarter? Imagine 350 pound giants running flag patterns. It might surprise us how fast they are. I remember reading about how in college, Fridge Perry was a big diver, going off the high board. He would get huge crowds in the school pool to watch him.

11. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    homer-boring-scaled.

-Mike

GregC, mrpackerguy and Funky Ghost like this.
  12. Funky Ghost

Bah! :) You're only saying that because Brown is making Big Ben contemplate retirement ( not that ANYONE believes he will retire ) and you're grumpy :D

I bet my DC is a better guitar player and singer than yours!

13. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm heading to PIT tomorrow in my Dodge Ram. I called the Rooney's and let them know I will pack AB's crap in my truck and deliver him to any NFL city he wishes, no charge. It has a canopy, so no damage to his stuff.
    They are working on the trade now.
    Since the Steelers are a classy organization, they are giving me three cases of Yuengling and a few Primanti Bro's sandwiches for the road trip.

-Mike

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Gaolee, Jeff K, Les Ismoor and 3 others like this.
  14. Funky Ghost

I'd push for a case of tastykake peanutbutter kandy kakes if I were you :D

Jeff K and MJ5150 like this.
  15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I tried. They said I'd have to include Haley, but I don't want that clown in my truck. I'd choke him before we got on the turnpike.

-Mike

Gaolee and Funky Ghost like this.
  16. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Drop the puck!

17. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What - is there a game on???

18. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    pro bowl now on espn

19. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I thought you said there was a GAME... :cool:

Funky Ghost likes this.
  20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    SoI flipped it on for a minute. I've seen the linemen push harder at a Vegas buffet.