1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL Week #4

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I was beating myself up about losing to the Bengals last week, but another win or two and they'll make me into a believer. Have they improved that much or has Pittsburgh fallen that much?

Anyway, time to put Judas Favre on his back....and frequently. Peterson scares the hell outta me. Pack by 2 TDs, one off a Woodson INT.

Pack 31
    Queen 17

2. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    The Bengal defense has improved, and Pittsburgh w/o Polamalu has fallen; admittedly, Sweed dropped a TD pass that seemed to be a catalyst for the Bengals rally...

I hate to say it- but you will continue to beat yourself up. Favre is coming for Green Bay blood, and he'll get it. Green Bay better be as pumped up about the game as BF will be :eek:

Vikes: 27
    Pack: 13

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I hope the Traitor is pumped beyond belief. The more pumped he is, the worse he plays. I remember his first game against Holmgren when the Walrus took over at Seattle. Favre was all pumped up and threw 5 picks. A cool and calm Traitor would scare me. A pumped up one excites me. The real problem for the Packers in this game is going to be getting their running game going, and stopping the viqueens running game.

4. I hope Favre gets laid out all freaking day long, and the Packers take an easy W. I don't think it's gonna happen though.

Steelers are at home against San Diego this week. They aren't looking great. Ben looks sharp, but the running game has stalled badly, and the defense very obviously misses Troy, for his abilities, and even moreso (I think) for his emotional spark.

I picked Cincy to topple Pittsburgh, and unfortunately I was right. For the Chargers game, I'm going to pick the Steelers in a *close* one! I'm expecting the ground attack to improve as the season goes on. I'm also hopeful that someone will tell evetually Limas Sweed that the catch only counts if he holds on to the damn ball!

5. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    My money is on BF... the gunslinger attitude is in check: he has the best RB in the league, a very good defense, and after the last second win- his team is drinking the kool-ade as we speak :eek:

Traitor... what a crock :spit: we should ALL retire when someone else says its time. The Bucs did the same thing to Derrick Brooks that GB did to Favre, and I pray that DB will join the Saints to stick it to the Bucs. Those guys have earned the right to play until they cant, imo. Save the "thats not realistic in todays NFL" speech... I dont care. He (Favre) may get his head handed to him, but I hope the Vikes kick the snot out of the Pack from the opening kickoff to the end.

Have a nice day :)

6. Based on what I'm seeing, the Saints have no need of Mr. Brooks' services to stick it to the hapless Bucs. ;)

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Week 3 is not over yet.

8. Well, for teams that will matter, it is.

:D

However, if you want to see two clowns dressed as QB's go at it, no, it is not over yet.

;)

9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Who's your team Hammer? How would you feel about a QB who was the face of your franchise for 16 years to do EVERYTHING he could do in an elaborate two year plan to go play for your biggest rival? He kicked every packer fan right in the crotch. If you don't realize that, which obviously you don't, well then, I'm not the one who's a "crock" as you put it.
    If you root for Derek Brooks to get picked up by the Saints and stick it to the Bucs, you're not a Bucs fan, you're just a pathetic front runner.

The Packers did not release Favre. He retired on them, after making noises about doing so for several previous years. They moved on and went with the player, Aaron Rodgers, with a huge upside with many good years left. . Favre had two years left MAX. Favre then got a burr in his butt over the fact the Packers moved on without him ( what else were they supposed to do?), and decided the best way to stick it to them would be to return, force his release, and go play for the hated queens. The Packers foiled that plan by taking him back, which he never expected them to do, then trading him to the Jets. The whole year his Jets teammates said he was still obsessed with the Packers. He then proved that by demanding his release at the end of the year with a few extra waffles and retirements in between, designed to avoid training camp, and then doing what everyone knew he would do all along, signing with the queens.

I personally hope he gets sacked about 10 times and throws at least 5 picks against the Packers. I hope he has Johnny Jolly, Cullen Jenkins, Aaron Kampmann, Nick Barnett,
    Nick Collins, Charles Woodson, Al Harrs, AJ Hawk, Brady Poppinga, BJ Raji, Clay Matthews Jr., Brandon Chillar, and all the other Packer defenders in his grill all day long. I hope as he is laying smashed on the baggy dome floor all battered and bruised, he realizes he looks like crap in purple and made a big mistake.

I'll be a Brett Favre fan again sometime in the future, based on what he did during his years in Green Bay, but that's many years away.

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

11. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Agreed- I think a Florida Gator/Buc scrimmage is in order :D

12. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    this is the game that worries me...and as much as I absolutely hate to say it, I think Green Bay might...not...win..

and not because of Farve..mostly because of the pack's o-line's inability to give Rodgers enough help..and because I'm not sure the defense (as much as I love them) will be able to stop Peterson...they couldn't stop Benson as much as I wanted them to...

but that's only my 2 cents...

13. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    I have an opinion, just like you. Although I never said anything about you personally, I'll gladly give you my take...

I think anyone who calls someone else a 'traitor' because he plays with a division rival is as pathetic as they come- especially considering the legacy he left behind in that town. The Packers wanted to move on- but they didnt have the stones to tell Favre the day he retired that THAT is what they wanted. They wanted Rodgers- but they wanted Favre to go away quietly. What right do they have to tell him he should stay retired? I mean- if you wanted to come out of retirement to do the thing you love, would you stop because someone else says thats what you need to do? Lord I hope not...

I never said that he made any of this easy or that he didnt deserve some blame. I get that Favre made it tough on GB and that the fans are broken hearted... but I truly believe its for the same reason: stay retired Brett- thanks for the many years of championships, pro bowls, records, etc but we are better without you! Thats mighty selfish to me. If you get two beatdowns over the Vikings, the Pack wins the big one and Rodgers is Super Bowl MVP- then Ill be happy for you. I just believe that its convenient to ask the man to stand down- and then rip him to shreds when he laughs and says 'I dont think so'- as your tearing down your BF posters and burning your #4 jerseys... talk about front running :spit:

Speaking of which: I am a Buc fan... been one since 1976. I lived in the bay area for 15 years. I was at the first home preseason game vs the Dolphins. I was there thru 26 straight losses. I was there when they beat the Saints for victory #1, and I was there when they drafted Doug Williams- and when they let the best QB they ever had go. I was there when they lost a heartbreaker of a playoff game to the Rams in 79, and when they celebrated Lee Roy Selmon's HOF induction. I thought about all of that stuff and the rest the night they won the Super Bowl over the Raiders- and Im a fan of that team too.

But as for Derrick Brooks- If he can show them that they were wrong, then I think he deserves to. It doesnt mean I dont love my team- but that I think they made a mistake in the way they treated a 14 year vet who is headed to the HOF. Thats not front running- but wishful thinking ;)

14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

It boils down to one thing. No man is bigger than the team. Brett doesn't believe that.

15. :eyebrow:

16. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Damn! We have to go to a game. Talk about being no the same page.

17. This.

18. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    I agree, and Im sorry I got you riled. But I think its funny that someday you'll be a BF fan again, but for now he is 'Traitor' to you. If thats the kind of fans GB has, then hooboy :D

19. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    That is close to spot on and objective, but you're mising something here and I doubt you can fully (I mean fully) appreciate this unique situation us Pack fans had with Brent. I mean, ask Gard, was there a bigger Favre defender/supporter the last few years than me? I've been watching the Pack since the Glory Years when me and my dad watched the first two superbowls together. Then there's these 20 years of nothing until Brent comes along. It was cool to be a Packer fan again. You know that feeling, you sufferred through it with the Bucs and an unbelievable losing streak and losing seasons.

But here's the difference.

Brent comes along and the face of the Pack takes on a new identity. Reggie signs, then Sean Jones and Santana (from your Bucs team) and we get in a couple super bowls. Guys then come and go, including Reggie, as they often do after getting into the big dance and get flashed gobs of dough to go play elsewhere. But Brent remains the contstant. He's like your Sunday best friend. You love the way the guy plays, then he goes off hunting with Frank Winters during the week in your back yard, but he's right back there on Sunday and it's like crawling under a warm blanket knowing he's at the helm Sunday after Sunday.

Then he starts talking about retirement. We knew it was coming but it's like "it can't be". For a couple years he strings the Pack and us along. Fine. He deserves that - give him the benefit of the doubt. Couple more years after that, same thing. Shows up late for training camp, gets his own locker room. Ok. Then, finally the sad day comes. He tearfully retires. We all cry with him. Then in Tim Allen fashion..Whhhhhaaaaatttt? He wants back. The reins had already been handed to Aaron Rodgers. Rightly so, post draft and all. Many of us wonder if Rodgers would want out if Brent comes back. I mean, it looks like the kid has promise and who else do we have? If Rodgers gets dissed and leaves..do we become the Queens, Bears or Lions, struggling to find a QB the last two decades? Ok, he comes back and the Packers trade him to the Jets, but in stunning fashion, it's revealed he wants to go to the Queens. Why Brent, why? Our #1 or #2 most hated rival of the past 20 years? Why? Ok, let him play his year with the Jets and that'll be the end of it. He both sides played it poorly..Brent with his waffling and the Pack and Ted Thompson for doing strange things, offering that $25 mil consulting contract, not trying to work something out.

So most of the summer, seems he's retired and he announces his retirement....again. WRONG! He manages to avoid all training camp and then signs with the Queens. You can't tell me reason #1 is not to stick it to the Pack. And there's the rub. The pain. The agony of your best friend saying "to hell with you". The guy you spent 16-18 Sundays a year with for almost the past 20 years saying "none of that meant a thing - I'm gonna do what's best for me - the past 20 years means nothing. It's all about Brent."

Surely this diatribe doesn't even begin to express how many of us in Packer nation feel about Brent. I'm going to the game at Lambeau when Brent returns. You can bet this Packer fan will be booing his arse off when Brent takes the field. Optimistically, some day, maybe I'll forgive and forget. But that day's a long way off.

20. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    You are right, of course MrPackerguy... the situation and tradition between GB/BF & TB/DB is a different animal simply because of the way Favre waffled and his timing doing so. My remark about what I think the Vikes would do this weekend werent meant to offend any Packer fans- and I apologize.