NFL Week #6

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. You know Jerry Angelo personally? :eek:

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I would argue that the Lions offense would be as good as Green Bays or New England's if the guy calling the signals was Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Does Stafford have the potential to be in those guys league? Perhaps, but he's not there yet. In fairness he just finished his 17th NFL game. But the Lions weapons around the QB are as good as those teams.

The Lions have three good tight ends including Pettigrew who in his second year was a pro bowl alternate, and three other pretty good receivers (Stefan Logan, Nate Burelson, and Titus Young), along with Calvin Johnson, and a very good pass catching back in Best. All are capable of big yardage after the catch. And the offensive line does a competent job pass protecting.

3. This has the potential to be fantastic for Oakland. Aaron seems to have the Raider "attitude" when out on the field and has an enourmous amount of physical talent.

He's been frustrating for us here in Seattle and the fact that we get very little in return, especially in what is now a pretty thin linebacking corps, doesn't help much either.

4. He knows how to spark up an offense and get the the fans on his side, even if he is an inexperienced reckless loose canon that they haven't taken the time to figure out what to do with.

May as well give him some OJT. The Bronco's season is headed down the drain anyway. They don't have a quarterback controversy, they have multiple controversies on both sides of the ball and special teams.

I was really pulling for Orton, but the guy's just having a meh-to-bad season, along with the rest of the team.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Other than Calvin Johnson, there is no comparison to the Packers receivers. I'll put Johnson at #1 on a list of all of them, but after that, it would be Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Driver, and Finley before another Lion appeared on the list.

6. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I couldn't disagree more. I'd say Finley and Pettigrew are a wash at best. I've seen both drop easy balls, act a bit immature, and make big tough catches, both are big, fast and tough covers. And the Lions have two other very good TE's. While Jennings is better than any other Lion receiver but Johnson, Burelson has far more experience, makes a ton of big plays and is one of the best yards after catch guys in the league. And Jones and Young are very similar, remember Young missed the entire exhibition season.

Remember the Packers receivers also look better because they have Aaron Rodgers throwing to them. The Packers also do not have the explosiveness coming out of the backfield that the Lions have with Best who has excellent hands. I would suggest to you that if the Lions receivers were traded to GB for the Packs receivers the Lions would have the slight fall off (largely because of no one in this league is Calvin Johnson), not the Packers. And you'll notice I didn't say the Lions recievers were better, I said just as good and I'll stand buy it.

7. Pettigrew and Finley a wash? I don't see that at all.

8. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Finelys line:

22 catches 301 yrds 13 ypc 3 TD's

Pettigrews line:

26 catches 279 yards 10.7 ypc 1 TD

I'd call that pretty even. Especially considering Finley has a pro bowl QB throwing to him.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I remember ranking TE's by their ability to block and set up the running game ahead of how many TD's and yards receiving they had.

-Mike

10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm ok with it. Lions fans have been in misery so long, they're bound to be a little delusional when they taste a little success. I'd argue Burleson would have been cut in training camp had he been a Packer. Pettigrew is good, but I'd take Finley without a second thought.

11. GeoffT

GeoffT

Aug 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Dilusional? LOL. Rogers is playing lights out, no doubt about that, he has 14 TD passes, Stafford is right there with 13. How bout your defense? 14th in the league in points allowed, Lions are 4th.

I like the Lions chances with their depth on the D-line, they rotate 9 guys without much drop-off. It pays off huge in the second half, when it matters most. Lions have only given up 24 second half points in 5 games because of that rotation.

Hopefully both teams are fully healthy on Thanksgiving and New Years Day and they can duke it out for the North title.

12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yeah, but if you read the previous posts, you would see we were discussing receivers.

13. GeoffT

GeoffT

Aug 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I saw that, you stated your opinion and Burk stated his, he even backed it up with some numbers to show they were roughly on the same level this season. Then you went from talking receivers to calling Burk and Lions fans dilusional.

From most of your other posts, it's pretty easy to see that you believe that the Packers are head and shoulders above the Lions so far this season, that's cool, everyone here has their opinion. I just pointed out those things to show that they are really a lot closer than you choose to believe.

Isn't the definition of dilusional when you believe things are different from what they really are?

14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Actually, you're incorrect. At this point in the season, I think the two teams are very close. I believe the Packers offense is playing better than the Lions right now, and the Lions D is playing better. The question is, who can keep it up. The Lions are an unknown right now. How will they handle adversity when it comes? Yes, they have had two big comebacks, but against the 1-4 Viqueens, and against the Cowboys who gift wrapped the game and handed it over like a birthday present. The Lions season will be made or broken when their schedule difficulty picks up a bit. In my opinion, the Lions could go 13-3 or 14-2, or they could go 9-7. It all remains to be seen. I also don't buy the Packers going 16-0 or 15-1, but they do have experience and in my opinion, a better roster, on their side.

We agree on one thing, the Thanksgiving game, AND the game at Lambeau should be great. And just to show I really am a jerk at heart, it is "dElusional.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's nice to see Stafford remain healthy and get the time and protection he needs to set up. The schedule will determine how much staying power the Lions have. The Pack has many years under their belt of contender football, which is a huge advantage down the stretch. Hopefully the Lions play to win and not worry about the streak.

Are the Eagles the RHCP's of the NFL?

16. Kaa

Kaa

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Do they wear sweatsocks on their.....thingies?:eek:

17. Wow...this is the first I'm hearing of this! Hopefully getting a new start will light a fire under the kid....he's an impressive athlete, for sure. I think he can help us! This should be great..

18. You're absolutely insane.

Pettigrew and Burleson are better than Nelson or Jones.

19. On that metric - Pettigrew is definitely a better blocker than Finley.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    He is a good character guy too. It's a shame it didn't play out better for him here. I think the pressure got to him to be the "man". He has good football instincts, so the right coach and scheme can turn this guy into a Pro Bowler.

-Mike