NFL Week #6

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Now you're just being stubborn. You gave me the NT as a point of reference and I gave you an article from a former professional linebacker.

Also, the conversation about his instincts have come up for a while now. It heated back up when his contract was restructured and again when he lost his job to rookie KJ Wright.

I do agree with you about Oakland. I'm not sure how well that's going to work out.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Probably. I never liked Dave Wyman, even at Stanford. I also feel like Carroll pulled the trigger on Wright since he was a cheaper option instead of working harder to maximize Curry's talent. Curry was Mora's guy, and Carroll isn't the type to build on someone elses talent. So instead of making adjustments to build around the talent Curry did have, he just left him to struggle and then blew him out.

It's easy now to look back and realize Curry was not the 4th best player in the NFL draft, but as mentioned it was Ruskell who drafted him and all Ruskell cared about was character, per Paul Allen.

-Mike

3. I could find other articles saying the same thing if you want but I'm not sure how much harder you should have to work. If he doesn't have the instincts it won't matter how hard you work.

The only reason I would disagree with Carroll is that Curry simply hasn't done anything. He didn't do anything under Mora in his rookie year. You could argue that it was his rookie year and that he was learning but Cushing and Matthews didn't have a huge problem.

Second year you could argue new head coach and front office for him yielding no results, but what about this year? You've either got it or you don't. If he's great in an area they would have found it by now don't you think?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. If he becomes great or even good (consistently) somewhere else free to say I told you so.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Oh I don't worry about Cheesewhiz calling me names, he's harmless unless you're speeding in Freemont. :D

And if you get a couple of Macallen 18's in him he becomes quit civil actually.:p

I still have no illusions that the Pack isn't a better team, playoff experience, overall veteran leadership at the QB position is a huge advantage. I also think the Pack are stronger in the defensive backfield, they have some big playmakers back there. But the Lions have improved more then I could have imagined in the back 7. And the thing that is so scary about them is how young they are. I really see them improving as the season progresses and being a real Super Bowl contender next year.

Having said that, I didn't have the Lions at 5-0 at this point in the season. You can say what you want, but beating Dallas and Tampa Bay on the road are quality wins. And wins that I wouldn't have imagined at the beginning of the season. This is a team that until last season had lost 23 straight on the road. Even the old Barry Sanders teams had a tough time on the road. Winning on the road consistently in this league is what separates the contenders from the pretenders in my book.

5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I won't do that to you, and I hope you won't do it to me. I agree that it is a good idea we let it go here and agree to disagree. Either way, it is a bummer he wasn't able to play better for Seattle. He had the chance to anchor that defense for years.

-Mike

6. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    This Packer fan is really looking forward to seeing a whuppin put on the Rams, by the "boys in blue" at Lambeau this sunday.

The Pack will be sporting their 1929 style uni's.

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    How can you get so excited about beating the Rams? Really, it's the Rams.

-Mike

8. :D

9. Who would've thought the Lions 49ers game would be the game of then weekend this week before the season started?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Just to be clear, I've met Steve (Burke) a few times, and we are friendly. It's just good natured ribbing between us.

11. I absolutely will not. :) Though I will follow him for a while I'm sure, which brings me to...

Your second sentence. It made me realize something... I am and have been a fan of Seattle for a long time now and have been frustrated with Curry. I had some high expectations for him and have been disappointed. Now that he's gone if he does do well, some (maybe all) of the blame will have to go to our coaches and that is far worse then losing a 4th round draft pick as we're stuck with them. I guess that's why I've had some many posts on him. :ninja:

12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know what you mean buddy. While I have never claimed the Seahawks as "my" team, I have lived here for 30 years, so I can't help but to be a fan on some level. We had season tickets in the 80's and I fondly remember the Blue Wave, Chuck Knox, Daryl Turner, Fredd (yes, two d's) Young, Rufus Porter, Dave Krieg, Owen Gill, John L, Jacob Green, and so on.

Listening to the guys on KJR the last couple days, they have really dug into the Ruskell draft picks and moves by Holmgren when he was GM. Some of it was quite embarrassing considering how highly Holmgren is viewed in these parts. But hey, being the GM of an NFL team is no easy job and picking wisely in the draft is sometimes more good fortune than skill.

13. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'd say the Pack and Lions BOTH have a lot to prove yet: Lions that they are not a fluke and can beat more teams with winning records; Packers, that their D can improve and that they also can beat more teams with winning records.

Fun year in the NFC Norris

14. Definitely

Definitely Inactive

I think the lions will get an upset this week, I don't think they're gonna be able to hold it together to go 6-0

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
  16. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    In the words of Forrest Gregg about what he likes about the Packers - their uniforms.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a Packer victory, over any NFL club.

17. haha Rufus! I was aaround for Largent and Zorn (Was a kid) Kenny Easly, Cortez Kennedy, and the fantastic actor Brian Bozworth. :rollno: Good times... For some reason I didn't realize you'd been in the area that long...

I can't even talk about Ruskell. :spit: :D

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tampa Bay got a huge blow today. LaGarret Blount is out "multiple games" with a torn MCL. I think sometimes in all this talk we forget how important injuries are in this league.