1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFL Week 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Pack/Browns on the tundra

In a repeat of the 2010 season when the team was decimated by injuries, history repeats itself. However, I think we can keep this one close. Thompson doesn't appear to be making any moves, as usual. Backups and practice squad players are going to have to step it up.

Pack 21
    Browns 17

2. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    The Packers will once again prevail this Sunday against Cleveland despite their familiar ground, injury situation.

Why? They will be donning their 1929 throwback jerseys. ;) The team went undefeated in the ''29 season wearing blue and tan uniforms and will win this game also in the blue/tan. Haven't lost in recent times wearing them neither.

Playing in Lambeau Field, there is so much history and mojo on their side to not win this one. Down to 2nd and 3rd stringer depth once again notwithstanding.

Boys in blue 29
    Browns 12

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Game of the week has to be Denver at Indy? Can KC stay undefeated and knock off Houston?

-Mike

4. After last Sunday's games both Tom Brady and David Ortiz have been elevated to the status of Gods of Boston Sports (as if it hasn't happened already!), joining Ted Williams, Yaz, Bobby Orr, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Milt Schmidt, Eddie Shore, and others.

Patriots at the Jets. Wish Sanchez and Wilfork were playing, another butt fumble would have been too funny!

Pats 27
    Jetz 14

5. After the Colts loss to San Diego? I think Denver should win that one easily.

KC continues to look great. I continue to root for Smith after getting Bledsoed by Harbaugh last year. I'd pick them over Houston.

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I was meaning more for Manning's return to Indy.

-Mike

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Is it just me or have injuries taken an especially heavy toll on a lot of teams this year?

It seems like a lot of teams are borderline desperate at one or more positions because of injuries to key starters and we're not even halfway through the season. The Falcons (WR), Packers (LB, WR), Raiders (OL), Bills (QB), Patriots (WR, TE), Giants (OL, RB) and Bears (DT, LB) coming immediately to mind.

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hahaha, I love me some Packer Palace. Thanks MPG for the double shot this week.

-Mike

9. The remaining two undefeated teams both from the Mild, Mild AFC West!?!?!?! And #1 and #2 in most analysts Power Ratings? W00t!?!?!

Yeah Denver has an issue with injuries and its defensive secondary. I watched the game last night. It looks to me like Indy is dealing with several issues.

Welcome back to The Oil Can, Peyton!

10. 20YearNoob

20YearNoob

Mar 29, 2012
    We used to sail these waters, fearless and feared by all, but a few short years ago.

Recently we appear to have crashed on a lost and lonely island, with no wins in sight.

And now this huge Falcon keeps circling overhead, thinking we're lunch.

Bucs 0
    Falcons 24

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I feel bad for whatever Bucs fans are still left. This has just been an ugly season for that team in so many ways and the thing is, they actually have some decent players.

But I guess back-to-back disastrous coaching hires will do that to a franchise no matter what the quality of the roster may be.

12. Patriots just lost LB Jerod Mayo for the season with a torn pectoral muscle. As long as we don't lose Brady we should be all right, but this one will definitely hurt.With Wilfork gone and Gronk, Amendola, and Talib hurt BB has his work cut out for him!

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I think what you're really seeing this year is the equalization of teams due not only to the loss of a lot of players, but the loss of a lot of REALLY GOOD players. Like Stratovani said, in the case of the Patriots, that's 4 or 5 starters at or near Pro Bowl caliber they are missing right there just now. My Bears, just on defense, have been playing without their top 3 DTs (two of them lost for the year and one of them a Pro Bowler), just lost our starting MLB for the year last week and have two other key players (Charles Tillman and Julius Peppers) playing well below their usual level due to recurring minor health issues.

In situations like that, teams who had good starters but not very good subs are really prime for the taking by teams who may not have as big of a dropoff from their 1st-string players to their backups. It also is accentuating the value of good coaching... the ones who can adapt their systems to the players on hand will do OK but the ones who have relied primarily on a handful of premiere players and can't (or won't) come up with a backup plan are really vulnerable right now.

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well hey, if all these teams keep losing key players, the Steelers may have a chance to win a few more games.

-Mike

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    No joke. I mean, at the beginning of this season if you had told me that 6 weeks in, the Falcons, Redskins, Steelers and Vikings would all only have 1 more win than the Jaguars -- and that the Giants would be winless -- I would have asked for some of what you were smoking.

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Don't forget the 49ers. Their starting NT Ian Williams is out for the year (broken ankle) and his backup Glenn Dorsey had to leave the last game (groin injury).

Also Ray McDonald will be hobbled for the rest of the season (torn biceps) and two of their top WRs Michael Crabtree (achilles) and Mario Manningham (torn ligaments in his knee) haven't played at all and Crabtree may not make an impact at all this season.

Last year's 3rd cornerback Chris Culliver is lost for the season with a torn ACL, Patrick Willis has been slowed by a broken hand and then a groin pull and are without their best pass rusher Aldon Smith (stupidity) for the forseeable future.

Honestly I think they are lucky to be 4-2