NflBD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bench, Jul 24, 2018.

1. bench

bench Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    For those only intereted in the bass: it's a korean made ibanez sr 400 fl.

For those interested in reading a bit ;)

Doc Cheese posted a video of Ralphe Armstrong a while ago which i really enjoyed, didn't know the man before. besides other things Mr. Armstrong talks about left hand technique derived from the double bass technique of Prof. Josef Hrabe, the teacher of Simandl and a book about this from Adolf Lotter.

after getting an article from bassplayer magazine from TB member Lobster11 about this left hand approach (thanks again) i got the book (which i like so much, that i will write a review in the following weeks.

It's basically about a consequent use of 1-2-4 up to the ninth fret and from then on 1-2-3 so that the first time the ringfinger is used to fret a note is the g octave (on the g string). i don't know the simandl approach but i guess there are similarities...

For me this was a real help for the left hand opposed to one finger per fret. the shifting actually feels nice and helps with a clear picture of where you are and what notes are available.

But back to the bass. i've tried fretless basses in the past and i sucked... i didn't feel like having command of the instrument but now felt like i should give it another try. so i looked for a bass at a reasonble budget and found this korean made sr 400. unlined with side dots at position 1,3,5,7,9 and 12, 3band eq. after cleaning and setup it plays solid and i play way more solid than i used to. i hope the doc will forgive me for keeping up practicing a little longer before getting my own pentabuzz...

thanks again to dr. cheese and lobster11.

here is the video:

here is the book:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-...ouble+bass&dpPl=1&dpID=41ig-iqkOyL&ref=plSrch

and the bass besides my trusty SRX 700 is in my avatar

bench

2. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    That’s a nice story. Have fun with the Ibi!

bench likes this.
  3. bench

bench Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    that's the plan!

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    So let's see your bass!

5. bench

bench Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    Oh, you're not getting off that easily. We want BIG pics!

7. I've got an 07' SR400, but I've never seen the one you're talking about - must see pics!

8. bench

bench Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    IMG_20180724_231319.jpg

IMG_20180724_231332.jpg IMG_20180724_231416.jpg

okokok... here you go... can't do better here at night. ;)

Solarmist, ELG60, Hues and 3 others like this.
  9. Slightly, but only slightly off topic- Ralphe Armstrong completely tears it up on jean Luc Ponty's "Enigmatic Ocean" album, IMHO!!!

That guy totally puts up the Funk in some spots, while at the same time, being totally sympathetic to the soloists and melody! A monster!!!

VoodooJazz likes this.
  10. tubedude

tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Enigmatic Ocean and Cosmic Messenger are my favorite JLP albums. Loads of talented people contributed.

basscapes likes this.
  11. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    I had one of these. Heavy instrument. I had a lot of fun with it.

12. Got 'em both on vinyl!

Also have "Individual Choice", but those two are kinda like the "Golden Age" for him, IMHO!

tubedude likes this.
  13. bench

bench Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    this one feels really light. typical basswood. the srx is heavier.