1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NFreeBD Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 10cc, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I was looking at a heap of an old Fender Jazz today and the seller said that it was a 72. I know for a fact he isn't very knowledgable on the bass and I know I'm not up to snuff on all the little things to look for so I'll tell you guys what I saw.

1. Natural body with non original pick guard (white/very old looking but no tug bar holes on top or bottom) . that's what's got me thinking that it isn't original

2. badass bridge II not original

3. Three bolt neck with serial number on neck plate

4. Maple neck white inlays with black logo can't remember if it was a waterslide or not or if it had numbers on it.

5. Lollipop tuners very pitted and old looking.

It needs a lot of work - pick ups look screwed and the bullet truss rod has split the first fret. So I'd imagine that the nut and first fret area have to be redone? I don't how much something like that would cost? Plus the truss rod could or couldn't be salvageable.
    So that's the skinny of it. I did some research but you guys who know about these things would be a lot easier for me to find answers to. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    3-bolt neck won't be a 72 Jazz at all. Be a 74-later

3. Are you sure about those Lollipop tuners? Weren't these just used in the transition period during the mid-sixties? Doesn't fit to the rest.
    Question About Lollipop Tuners On Fenders

Serial numbers on the neck plate: makes the instrument a pre 1976! (Source: The Fender Bass, An Illustrated History, Hal Leonard, page 105 and 108)

4. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    That's what I thought about the three bolt and the tuners. Might open it up and look at it and grab the serial number too.

5. A three bolt neck plate containing the serial number is likely a 75 or early 76. Prior to 75, the neck would be a four bolt, and after mid 76, the serial number moves from the plate to the headstock.

6. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks guys. Wonder what's up with those tuners though? I rely need to check the neck stamp.
    Also that would make the pick guard correct, right? No holes for tug bar.

7. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Wonder what the repair cost is for something worse then this one? It's cracked like this one but bigger.
    image.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There would be holes for a thumbrest above the E. A 3-bolt Jazz will automatically mean E side thumbrest.
    Probably a replacement guard.

The lollipops would have been swapped on, they'll fit.

9. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Well I picked this thing up today. I'm guessing it's a 75 or 76. Maybe you guys can help me. Needs a lot of work but it should be a fun project.
    image.
    image.
    image.
    image.

Malak the Mad, dabbler and TMARK like this.
  10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Neckplate is '72-ish. The neck is newer. '74-early '76. Body, pots and pickups you'll need to open her up and see....

11. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    If it works don't "fix it".

Just play it!

grrg63 and MobileHolmes like this.
  12. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    I would play that pup

13. Pictures look consistent with a 75 or early 76. As I posted earlier, these are the only years which have a three bolt neck with the serial number on the plate. After mid 76, the serial number moves to the headstock. I love to know how those lollipop tuners got installed.

14. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    The pups are shot and the pots are done. Gonna drop some new pups and pots in it. Replace the badass bridge with an old Fender and slap on some new strings and a set up. Not bad for a free score:woot:

deeptubes likes this.
  15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Not the sort of grain/finish I'd expect on a natural. I think this may be stripped of a previous colour finish.

10cc likes this.
  16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I'd leave the bridge....installing a smaller Fender bridge might expose a non-mojo clean spot...

THAT BASS WAS FREE?!?!?!?!?!
    I hate you...seriously....

How bad is the damage to the first fret? Show a pic?

17. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Yeah it's been stripped.

18. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    image.
    Definitely gonna change out the bridge. Taking it in tomorrow for repairs.

19. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    It's in the shop. We will see what it becomes. Gonna try and get the cracked fretboard and truss rod repaired, dropping in three new caps and maybe a jack, also dropping in some Antiquity II Jazz pups, frets dressed, new SS Rotos and getting rid of the badass bridge then with a set up the "Dagger" will be ready for the hits!

so tuff likes this.
  20. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Dude! DUDE!!!! Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! :thumbsup: