1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NGD - beginner bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Cross, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:24 PM.

1. Michael Cross

Michael Cross

Sep 30, 2019
    Hello - TB forum - I recently picked up a bass guitar with the following info., closet classic shape for $200 CDN. Here's the description from Fender;

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass: Mine was made in 2013, this is from the 2011 Frontline Catalog, top pg.97

Colour 06 – Black

The instrument that never was – until now! The ‘VMJB’ puts classic Fender looks into a uniquely attractive and super-versatile instrument. Features include a gloss Black-finished Agathis body with matching Black-painted head stock and one-piece maple neck with stylish white pearl block inlays on the 20-fret rosewood fingerboard. Versatility comes into play with a superbly balanced dynamic duo of Duncan-Designed pickups – a split single-coil P-Bass pickup (mid) paired with a hot single coil J-Bass pickup (bridge). Other features include ’62 Jazz Bass stacked concentric volume/tone controls, 3-ply tortoise/white/black pick guard, chrome hardware and machine heads with 4-saddle chrome bridge.

Model no.: 032 – 7900 – 506

Description: Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass, Rosewood Fretboard, Black

MSRP: $499.99

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences with this model; I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers, from a bass newbie and guitar player, Mike

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 4:42 PM
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Congrats on joining us and getting your first bass!
    We have a unwritten law here: no pic, no NBD! :D

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Ummm...You just wrote the unwritten law. :eyebrow:

Congrats to the OP, may it give you years of enjoyment.

Wisebass likes this.
  4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, Congrats and welcome! You will enjoy that bass! The acronym is NBD.

5. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Congratulations!

I had something similar for awhile that I bought to flip. This one had a Music Man style pickup and active controls. It was a decent bass. I also have a 2011 Squire VM 70's bass that I've over-improved with new pickups, wires, bridge... AND A PROFESSIONAL SETUP. But it is awesome. I had it for several years before I considered having a professional do a few level and setup. That cost me $135 and was worth every penny. Combined with new pickups (Aguilar noiseless) it is now far more than a beginner's bass.

The Duncan Designed pickups in the Squires are usually pretty good. But as a guitar player you know that a good setup is everything in terms of playability- which translates to musicality and enjoyment. If you're going to keep this bass I suggest you make the investment.
    Jag_bass_FullFront.

6. Michael Cross

Michael Cross

Sep 30, 2019
    There you go. Wrong title - newbie on bass, ol' guitar head. Yup. Gotta agree, the first thing I did was set it up. I've been setting up my own guitars for years, and in the last while, I've taken the time and got the necessary tools and skills to make nuts, do fret dresses and component changes, etc. I'm also teaching myself to repair/refurbish guitar amps, as well. This endeavor stems from my DIY attitude of fixing my own car and just stuff in general, when it can be done fairly easily, economically and safely.

This bass was never really played, so, it just needed truss rod and bridge height adjustment. As time goes on, I'll do some stuff like install a Tusq nut, do a fret polish and tweak one high fret and fret ends. The tuners and the pickups work just fine. It's very playable, right now. I've learned about bass setups, mods and repairs, from the Youtube channel, "Dave's World of Fun Stuff". Although, he fixes mostly guitars, he works on a lot of basses. He is a experienced bass player, so, he explains the knowledge and details as they apply to playability, performance and sounds of basses.

But, mostly, I'm busy learning to play bass. I've always been attracted to bass and while I've played guitar for decades, I've always wanted to play bass. My 'favourite' has always been the P-Bass, and this Jaguar bass is a stylish offset 'PJ' configuration. Pictures will follow.

Thanks for the replies, gents. Cheers, Mike

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:01 AM
  7. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I know where you're at there. I've modded more Strats and set up more guitars than I can remember. I sort of came from the same place as you; a guitar player for decades. Perhaps the difference is that as a kid I played bass in a couple 60's rock bands.

I didn't realize how important the fret level things was. When I had the shop do the works on my bass (pic below) they were able to get the action really low without any buzzing which made it a dream to play. I didn't want to be presumptuous or cocky in the midst of all the talent we have on this forum and call it a "professional level" bass, but if I put a blindfolks on folks and let them play it they'd never ever guess it was a Squier by playablity feel or sound.

BTW... Shortly you'll start discovering what different strings can do. If you have the time, pop on over to the strings section of the forum. Oddly, string selection on a bass can be as life changing as strings on an acoustic. While I have my preference of strings on electrics I'm not as fussy on them (Strats, LP and Tele, 335) as on my basses or acoustics. Unfortunately, bass strings aren't $8/set, but last a lot longer once you find a set you like.

8. Michael Cross

Michael Cross

Sep 30, 2019
    I'm glad you mentioned strings. Being new to bass, I'm very inexperienced about which strings, I want to put on this bass. I'm looking for a strong, full, round bass tone (w/ some mids and treble through PJ pickups), maybe something to lower the string squeaks, while learning. I wanting to fit in with hard/blues rock and/or punk rock bands for an idea of the 'live' mix. I want to be down low in the mix, not to be competing with the guitars, more complementing/blending/thumpin' with the drums, as a solid rhythm foundation. This guitar has like a jazz bass neck profile, oval with a narrow, 1-1/2" width nut and a 34" scale. I was thinking about half rounds or flats, but, I'm concerned about too much string tension with this neck. Some initial thoughts are D'ad half rounds or Chromes, GHS Prec. Flats or Pressure Wounds ( probably 45-100's ); I'm just not sure. I checked out the strings forum - started to get information overload, so, any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
    Cheers, Mike