1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NGD: Mesa D-800 - Problems Though!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassmaster55, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Bassmaster55

Bassmaster55

Dec 17, 2016
    20200806_114506.jpg

Finally got it in, yesterday! But already having a problem.

I hooked it up to my cab and powered it on. I started with both "Input" and "Master" knobs at zero. I slowly raised them until I started hearing sound come out of the cab. But just as I started to hear some sound, it made a crackling noise and then went silent. After it did that, I tried raising and lowering both knobs, but still no sound.

I'm thinking, "Oh, great. That's all it took to blow my speakers!?"

I checked to see if it was my cabinet, by hooking it up to my guitar amp head. It worked. So, I confirmed that my speaker cab wasn't the problem. It was the Mesa amp.

I hooked everything back up again for another try. Same thing again, no sound. Then all of a sudden while raising the "Master" knob, sound came out of nowhere. It actually startled me. After that, it worked. I played the amp for over an hour. Sounded way better that the Ampeg PF-20T I just got rid of.

Here's my dilemma though. This leads me to believe that the amp may be on the brink of breaking down and needing repair.

Do I play it safe and just return it to the seller for a full refund...or ???

I paid $590 for it after taxes and shipping. Just for reference.

2. Is it new? If yes IIRC you have a five year transferable warranty.

groooooove likes this.
  3. Bassmaster55

Bassmaster55

Dec 17, 2016
    No. It's used. I bought it off of Reverb.

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive Suspended

Sep 14, 2010
    Does the volume knob cut out or crakles in realatively the same spot?
    Once in awhile you get lucky and find out where the previous owner left the knob parked for long long time. When knobs develop dead spots. Usually for home amps it's realatively low volume setting.

Relsom likes this.
  5. I think @agedhorse will be along soon to advise you properly. He designed the amplifier.

In the mean time try linking the Send and Return of the Effects Loop. it's amazing how Gremlins hide in this bit of circuitry. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  6. Bassmaster55

Bassmaster55

Dec 17, 2016
    Yeah, today I was moving the Master knob and there was some crackle around a certain area. No dead spot though. I put the amp on mute and moved the knob from 0 to 10 a few times. Now, the crackle is gone.

I want to believe that it's just a dirty pot, but I don't want to get burnt on a dead amp a week from now. And having to shell out more money, when a new one would be cheaper after repairs.

Don't know what to do.

7. Bassmaster55

Bassmaster55

Dec 17, 2016
    Just connect the send to the return? What does that tell me? What am I looking for?

8. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    No effects loop on this amp, so no send/return.

9. Damn that's such a good tip too - wasted! LOL

10. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Just like the effects loop on every amp I ever had!

2tonic, BassmanPaul and agedhorse like this.
  11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's possible that it sat for a long time and there was a tiny layer of oxide built up on the master volume pot's resistive element. It's also possible that the amp took a fall or had a shipping accident and the master volume pot got damaged.

There is a transferable 5 years warranty on all amps sold before ~April 2019 (I'm going from memory here, customer service has this information), the transferrable portion of the 5 year warranty was discontinued at that time.

The amp is factory serviceable no matter if it's in warranty or not, and they are not expensive to repair either. Yo can contact customer service and they can advise you on this.

12. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    I seriously doubt it's a dirty pot. These amps haven't been out that long. I have 45 year old Peaveys that haven't developed dirty pots to the point that they don't pass signal.

I suppose it's possible, if maybe the amp was in a horribly filthy dusty/sandy environment and the internal fan blew dirt directly into the pot from behind. But again, highly unlikely.

Or, it's possible it's a defective pot and it has a bad spot. So, while it might not be a dirty pot, it may be a defective pot.

The most likely scenario is the amp wasn't handled with kid gloves in shipping and/or previous use and got a tap to the front. Apparently, these amps can suffer pretty easy damage to the pots if they are hit on the front or lightly dropped. There aren't handles on the front to protect the knobs, but I remember Mesa actually stated they wouldn't help if they were there.

Or it could be simply a loose connector of some sort inside. That seems common with the lightweight amps nowadays, usually ribbon cables or something similar that need to be re-seated.

Bassmaster55 likes this.
  13. Bassmaster55

Bassmaster55

Dec 17, 2016
    So, do you guys think I should go ahead and keep the amp or return it?

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The problem is not from a "tap" as usually there is bent sheet metal that the pot it attached to. It's from a fall, a tumble, rough handling. They are actually more rugged than then larger amps, but tend to get handled more casually.

I did testing with handles, and what ended up happening was that the handles either snapped the attachment screws or bent over while protecting the pot and also damaged the sheet metal inside the amp.

The best course of action is not to drop the amp. This is advice that applies to all amps, as I see this kind of damage on all brands and models.

15. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    I would unplug it, open it, and reseat any cables you can easily get to.

As far as returning it, it depends on what you paid and how much it would be to fix it-not to mention if you like the tone or not.

Give Mesa customer service a call for an idea. Ask for Kris Dilbeck as he is cool as hell and very professional. If you leave him a message, he will call you back the same day. In my experience before the pandemic, if I asked Garey (also in customer service) too many involved questions, he just stopped answering emails. Kris will help you the same day. He is absolutely great.

Bassmaster55 likes this.
  16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You might give customer service a call and see if it's covered under the transferable warranty program, that way everything that's not a broken pot is covered.

We also have a service program where we discount the service cost for replacing broken pots and repairing the damaged sheet metal. I believe it only covers the first time the amp is dropped (yes, we see amps and cabinets dropped more than once and with the bigger tube amps it can get unbelievably costly to repair).

Al Kraft and Bassmaster55 like this.
  17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Do not open it up and mess with anything or you jeopardize warranty coverage.

18. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive Suspended

Sep 14, 2010
    It happens. It's from the amp sitting so long at the same volume settings.
    Moisture / salt etc etc humidity changes in the home where it sat.

Moisture, humidity, salt etc etc. Doesn't seem to be defective.
    It just happens usually when amps just sit and left at same position. Every area is different for moisture/salt. Depends on home heating/air conditioning/ swamp cooler. Region /Area

Overseas shipping even worse. Big lot of new amps sat on a ship for awhile. Brand new amps had bad salt corrosion on the chassis and bad knobs. Usually if packed with typical silica moisture packets or wrapped in plastic. Short trips are fine. But if they sit on the ship or docks for long time. Salt damage/ moisture is bad.

It's not a thing obviously for this amp. But it is what it is. It just sat for awhile and got humidity exposure. Wherever it came from. Cleaning helps or if extensive you replace the knob.
    Doesn't sound bad at all for this one.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Bassmaster55 likes this.
  19. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    This is good advice. I was approaching it as if there were no warranty coverage but that may not be the case. If it is covered, let Mesa handle it.

franvarin and MCF like this.
  20. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    If I could, I'd return it and let the seller deal with fixing it, then find another.