1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NH Bass Fest 2008

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by jwbassman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Anyone on TB goin' to the NH Bass Fest June 25-28, 2008? I live in Manchester, NH where the Bass Fest is held. I didn't get a chance to go last year, it fell on Bike Week and my band was booked everyday of the Festival. But I'm going to make it over this year. I know that one night I have a gig, but I'll probably take a couple of days off from work and go to some of the clinics.

Check out http://www.nhbassfest.com/

for the full line up.

Some of the player that are going to be there are:

Rufus Reid
    Michael Manring
    Steve Bailey
    Todd Johnson

and a bunch more.

2. Thanks for the info/first I have heard of this. I will be there!

3. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Right on. I guess it was pretty cool. A friend of mine went last year. He takes lessons with Jim Stinnett, who is the organizer, and a smokin' bass player and instructor. I unfortunately missed it due to the gigs I had lined up, but this year it's the week after the Laconia Bike Week, so I should be able to make it over for a couple days.

4. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Got my registration in yesterday. I'll be at the Bassfest all 4 days. Wed-Sat.

Any other New England bassists going?

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I would not mind checking out the exhibits.

Not sure if you have attended as a student to do so.

6. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    The evening concerts are open to the public. Every night they are doing them. I think it $15 at the door. 8:00PM Start Time. Also I think that exhibitors will be there all four nights.

Schedule of Concerts:

Wed. June 25th
    Rising Starr featuring Steve Bailey, Mike Starr, Everett Pendleton, Tom Arey.

Todd Johnson & Friends featuring Rufus Reid, John D'Ercole, Joe Hunt.

Thurs. June 26th
    Shane Allessio Bass Band featuring Steve Bailey, Dave Buda, Rufus Reid, Todd Johnson, Dino Govoni, Joe Hunt, Jim Stinnett

Steve Bailey

Fri. June 27th
    Michael Manring

Rob Gourlay Trio

Sat, June 28th
    Project M featuring Michael Manring, Grant Stinnett, Rob Gourlay, Jim Stinnett

Brent Rusinow & Friends featuring Todd Johnson, Joe Hunt

Rufus Reid

7. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Here is the tee shirt art work for the 2008 NHBF.

Front:
    nhbf-front.

The artist are (starting at top left and going clockwise): Rufus Reid, Michael Manring, Todd Johnson, and Steve Bailey

Back:
    nhbf-back.

8. Pete skjold

Pete skjold Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    I exhibited last year and it was a blast ! I can't go this year due to my move to Ohio but I recommend anyone who can to check it out . The classes were really great to , I learned and was challenged by them and I have played for 20+ years . You get to hang with the instructors too and it is well organized .

Pete

9. Wow I never knew of this. I only live an hour away. I will definately check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

10. nutterisgo

nutterisgo

Apr 29, 2008
    You may see me there!
    (im hard to miss xD)

l_a88802e1198f27160b7bb4e33a7b8540.

11. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Wow! I'm having a blast so far. The first day at the festival was very cool. We started out with a bass workout / warm up for an hour. I was in the bass workout room with Jim Stinnett and Todd Johnson. After that we went to a short introduction and improve performance with Jim, Todd and Steve Bailey. Then everyone was "Placed" according to level, and assigned a schedule. I was placed in a Jazz Cirricculum. Very cool and challenging. It's making me really think outside my normal "box". I'm very much a "rock/funk" oriented player. Mostly due to the fact that I have no formal musical education. So the Jazz based program is definately making me think. So after the improve concert/placement, I headed to the "Jazz Ensamble" class. Basically we work on blues in "F", the jazz format, with which I was not familiar with at all. Once I had the format down a bit we worked on a half step / root approach. Very humbling experience. The class was with Jim Stinnett and Drummer Joe Hunt. After that was lunch. I had luch with Jim Stinnett, Steve Bailey and Rob Gourly. All very cool guys. After lunch was another performance with Steve and Todd. Also fellow TB'er Brent Rusinow gave a performance with Jim and Todd. Then I headed to my next class which was building jazz basslines. Which basically took up where we left off on the blues in "F" half step / root approach. We just added in the 3, 5, and 7. Pretty cool stuff! After all that class was a "panel discussion", in which Rufus Reid, Todd Johnson, Steve Bailey and Joe Hunt, talked about there careers and answered question. My last lab of the day was with Steve Bailey, where we worked on fingerboard knowlege and it's importance. I never ended up attending the evening concert. I ended up going home (I live about ten mins from the festival is held), and basically practicing the stuff I learned. Got home, at dinner, and then practiced non-stop from 7:30 till 12:30. Can't wait to see what's in store for today!! :hyper::bassist:

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I was planning to go but things came up that caused me not to be able to attend (like the clothes dryer died and the wife wouldn't settle on some lines strung up in the back yard). I'd like to drive up for a day to see the exhibits and the concert.

13. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Saturday from 10:00am on is open to the public, free of charge.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Saturday is not good b/c my son has a baseball game.

15. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
  16. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Nice vids. Thanks!