1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NHL 2008

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr Stankface, Sep 11, 2008.

1. So here's the thread for all of us hockey lovers too. My team doesn't have a bright future but I'll still be here cheering (and praying).

atlanta_thrashers_2000.

BELIEVE IN BLUELAND!! :)

2. Despite the product that's being put on the ice by my Maple Leafs, I'm looking forward to the upcoming season. At least were finally making an honest effort at rebuilding, and it will be cool seeing Cujo back up Toskala every once in a while.

3. Agreed. Although I think that cujo might steal the number one job. He proved last year that he can still play with the best of them.

lowsound

4. I'd be surprised if Cujo became starter, considering Ron Wilson coached Toskala in San Jose and knows what he's capable of. I'd get Cujo will start 20-25 games and Vesa gets the rest.
    I also wonder what they are going to do for a captain. I assume they will just use alternates (3 As instead of 2 As and a C) for the duration of the season. Probably Kaberle gets one, the others may go to Antropov, Kubina, Steen, or Stajan (if the alternates are alternated that is :D).

5. Being a Lightning fan...I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the coming season. We had a MAJOR revamp of the team. Probably the most biggest change, as far as their defensive game goes, is the firing of Tortorella and his stupid man coverage (AFAIK the only team not to use some sort of zone coverage in the defensive zone). And almost 2/3rds of the team has been acquired this year. Should be an interesting season.

Acquisitions: Andrew Hutchinson, Janne Niskala, Matt Carle, Andrej Meszaros, Gary Roberts, Adam Hall, Mark Recchi, Ryan Malone, Radim Vrbata, Olaf Kolzig, Brandon Bochenski and if we're counting from the trade deadline, Jussi Jokinen, Jeff Halpern, Mike Smith. And I guess we did draft Steven Stamkos, although I'm not sure if he should play in the NHL this year.

Most notable departures: Dan Boyle, Filip Kuba and Brad Lukowich. Thats three of our top four defensemen gone. Meszaros and Carle should be good replacements, but Boyle's offensive skills and puck movement on D are probably going to be missed.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess, and theres a lot more I'd like to say about the subject, but that'll take to long to type out. Should be an interesting couple of years while we rebuild.

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    You're from Calgary and root for Tampa Bay?

I mean, if there is no NHL team in your area, I get picking a random team, but when there is one in your own backyard?

Goes to show just how awful the Flames are, even people who live there don't like 'em.

7. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Looking forward to a great year for the Bruins. )-(

8. Dammit, I didn't even realize that Mark Recchi had left the Thrashers. He was a great addition to our lineup...

9. I used to be a diehard Flames fan, but having seen Tampa play a couple of times, I liked their style of play (they had also just gotten Khabibulin). So I became a fan of both the Bolts and Flames. That whole playoff year was pure win for me, as both my teams were moving forward in the playoffs. Ultimately I cheered for Tampa, as most of the bandwagon Flames fans were ****ing a-holes. I also quite disliked people talking about hockey like they were the Schwab, when in reality they know nothing about it.

I'm still a fan of both the Flames and Bolts. The Flames aren't awful, they're a pretty good team (this years squad is the best we've had in a long time...on paper ;)) its the fans that ruin it for me. Nothing left a more sour taste in my mouth than being a fan of a team (through the years where they almost moved the franchise), only to have new fans act like they had been there all along. Some guy even offered to buy my old Flames jersey off of me for $1000, because it was vintage.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wings!

11. 'nuf said!

12. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, as the resident SABRES fan, I guess I should make an appearance. :p

Sabres on the warpath this year... everyone is putting them down as a bad team, but we'll see who gets the last laugh. Thomas Vanek and Derek Roy were two of the best players on the ice during the 2nd half of last season after the team found its legs. Jason Pominville will hopefully exceed last years numbers and become a diehard leader on the ice. Ryan Miller will have a chance to go from 76 games played to around 65 hopefully, with Pat Lalime behind him, sparing him some exhaustion and increasing his level of play.

All in all, the team is extremely similar to last year, but these guys are no amateurs. They'll be back with a vengeance after missing the playoffs last year.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just happy to have Jason Arnott and Brian Rolston back on the Devs. Looking forward to a great season.

[​IMG]

14. I'm a fan of so many teams, mostly the Wings.

But I'd really like to see the Sharks go to the finals this year. They've been a pretty good team for the last few seasons, I've always hoped to see them do it.

15. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Gotcha, not a fan of the rig-pig bandwagon jumpers. Fair enough.

And I've officially got no team to root for this year. I've been an Avalanche fan for, well as long as I've been into hockey, but I REFUSE to root for any team with Darcy Tucker on it. If I could murder that guy with a Zamboni, I would be soooo happy.

It's funny though, 'cuz even after I've cut all ties to my former favourite team, for some reason I still wanna see the Wings die in a bus crash. Crazy.

Edit: I just noticed, this is a really violent post. So here's a kitten:

[​IMG]

16. I have to admit there's no goalie I like watching more than Martin Brodeur. I was a hockey fan when I was a kid then kind of fell out of it and came back a few years ago. Back then, the Thrashers weren't around so I was a die hard Devils fan. So when it comes down to those two, I can't choose.

17. Still one of the best videos ever...

18. That doesn't seem to far off the retail prices. :smug:
    I'd probably own a Leafs jersey but wouldn't pay over $100 for a jersey (unless it came with or I was able to get it autographed). I remember getting a good quality Red Wings jersey around 12 years ago for like 30 bucks. It didn't have a name on it or anything, but it was pretty cool to get because I got it right when I started getting interested in hockey and they were months away from winning their first cup in 40+ years. I still wear it on occasion as they've always been an entertaining team since I first started watching hockey.

19. And he has done that a few more times. He is by far my favorite goalie as well. It is crazy that he keeps winning that many games on a team that has no other big names (well they have two again).

lowsound

20. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Habs 100th year , they acquired couple of free agents....

Would be nice their 25th cup on their 100th year.

( but I'm a Sens fan )