Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NHL BS may finally be over!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Jul 13, 2005.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Well, I gotta think someone else out there cares about hockey. As a lifelong (Flyers and NHL) fan, I am glad to see we might have a season now. Announcement has been made that a deal has been reached and is waiting to be ratified.

There goes some of my practice time, and my gf will now be fighting me for the tivo once again.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    GO WINGS, But does anyone believe that outside on the Hockey Mecca's, (Phil, Detroit, Boston, NY,) people will give a crap in the US? I mean I love the Wings but the only thing I really missed was the sleepless nights watching games on the west coast during the playoffs.

3. DEVILS ! DEVILS ! DEVILS !

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I am about as excited as a person can be who _still_ won't be able to watch home games on TV. :scowl:

5. You're right. The only people I know that care either live in a hockey town or have ties to one. Personally, I'm tired of all the labor/owner/league/agent BS, no matter what the sport.

Mike

6. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    true on all counts.

I wish the powers that be would realize that hockey thrived as a regional game, and start catering to those longterm fans again. I feel like we've been ignored and mistreated for the last 10+ years of bettmans reign, so they could try and lure the flavor of the month focus groups.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oh geez, f'ing elitists... Hockey only exists HERE....

Well, we do have a rather crappy team here in Columbus, but we sure enjoy it, & maybe,, just maybe.. one day, we'll have a championship!

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have an ECHL team to follow... I can get in for $7. I didn't miss the NHL...

But!

The Bakersfield Condors have been working pretty close with the Kings and the Avalanche lately, so there could be an affiliation in the making.

So ya.... W00T! NHL!

GO WINGS! GO DUCKS!

9. I hear ya fellas... Tampa doesn't have the roots that the original six kind of cities have but we're on our way. People are VERY excited about the Bolts here and were crushed when the season was cancelled.

I'm looking forward to seeing the details of the deal and how it might change the game and/or rosters. There's talk of us losing Lecavalier, Khabiboulin and St. Louis due to new Free Agency rules. Is the red line going away? Smaller goalie pads?

Just checking in to tell you that us folk in 90 degree weather love to watch (and play) that great game.

Peace

10. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    sounds sweeeeeeeet :hyper:

11. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    for what it's worth, i didn't mean to brush off fans from non-traditional hockey towns. I live in one these days with a lot of GREAT fans.

I just have been frustrated with the way the league has tried to market the game in ways that alienate the long term fans. Anyway, not worth getting into that one.

Let's all just smile that we might see the game come back.

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The NHL has been going down the crapper for a while now. You know it was screwed when teams nobody cares about like Tampa Bay started winning cups.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I think with the new rule changes, the game will rule. Especially if the refs will stop them from playing clutch and grab...

They need to get rid if the instigator rule. Fights are a big part of the draw...

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, I'll believe their going to stop "clutch and grab" when they call it in the PLAYOFFS. I'm geeting real tired of 2-1,3-2 playoff games. Agreed on the instigator rule, and they also need to get serious about "diving".

15. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

:p :p

Gotta love Bill"fold" Wirtz. :rolleyes:

16. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    yup, the instigator rule is EXACTLY the kind of thing I am talking about that alienates the longtime fan. All it has done is taken respect and self policing out of the game, and turned the cheapshot artists loose with no retribution... As for clutch and grab ending?? Don't hold your breath. Goalie pads really will shrink now to more reasonable levels. That should help the scorers quite a bit.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh, boy...can't wait. :rolleyes:

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Haha, everything I was about to typed is summed up in that post!

Hey, hey, HOCKEYTOWN!

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Well said. Remember the blue dot on Fox Sports? That looked so damn silly.

I hope the WHA gets itself going, too. The original WHA brought hockey to a bunch of good hockey markets that the NHL forsook, and I'd like to see the new one do the same.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    See, that sucks...the guys that earned that Cup won't even be there to defend it.

I have heard some kinda "Shoot-Out" will be used to decide ties. Is this true?
    The AHL used them last season; back when we had an ECHL team, they were used since Day 1. Many purists hated them; I tend to be a little conservative/pure...Nevertheless, I thought they were pretty damn exciting except that our team seemed to always suck at 'em. Fact is, after watching us lose Shoot-Outs time & time again, I called the Radio show & told the announcer & guest player what our problem was- ;)
    -The SLOWER the player approaches the goaltender, the better. Trust me, it looks dumb seeing a guy lollygag down the ice like he's taking a skate in the park...it works!
    Our guys always went flying down the ice like it was a real-time game situation...& they missed 9 outta 10.

Another change which I think is overdue-
    The nets need to be BIGGER. The nets are the same size when goalies were my size(5'9"" approx 170lbs)...now goaltenders are 6'3" 240lbs? C'mon.
    (& I realize the deal with playing the angles & how their learned/taught from an early age. Gotta start somewhere).