1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NHOP (First Anniversary)

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by powermans, Apr 15, 2006.

1. In a couple of days from now, time will mark the first anniversary of the death of Niels..."The Great Dane" NHOP...

It's not a truism, but an ever more valuable truth that people do live on through the memories of them. So many friends, Double Bassists and fans from around the world will continue to think of Niels and remember him with the deepest respect and affection. I feel privileged to be one of them.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Looking back, 2005 probably wasn't the best year for bassists. In addition to NHOP (if that weren't enough) we also lost Percy Heath, and Jimmy Woode not long after.

NHOP was such a fine player, I love the way he plays on "A Night in Vienna" with OP (my only recording of him.) A lot of his detractors said the same thing about him -- he played too many notes. You know what's kinda funny? He himself was a large supporter of the "only play what you hear -- mean every note" school of thought. I guess he just heard a lot more than some.

3. appler

appler Guest

NHOP did play a lot of notes. His influence on jazz bass is pretty apparent, even to young guys like myself. I think even those who don't normally dig high-speed, technical lines (I fall into this category) can appreciate his playing. I like his work with Oscar Peterson and Joe Pass on the live release called The Trio.

Keter Betts passed away in 2005 as well.

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Here's to The Viking.

I saw a recording from Moreal Jazz Festival with Oscar P. and NHØP on bass, just a couple of days ago. What amazing playing.

5. I believe the 1st video I saw of NHOP and OP was made not too long before his death. I had never seen him play before that, and to say the least, I was knocked out. His virtuosity was a thing to behold. He made it all seem so effortless.

gomez

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    NHOP's intonation and technical facility are the standard. There are a couple guys I think have come close in those categories -- Stanley Clarke, Brian Bromberg, and now Christian McBride. I'm sure there are more....

But I've never seen anyone else reach the technical heights that NHOP achieved. So much about music is subjective, but it's plain truth that NHOP did things on the bass that nobody else can.

RIP

7. Tbeers,
    My Man, 100% correct,
    YOU'VE SAID IT ALL !!!!

8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow, has it been a year already. Man it seems like it just happened.

9. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Plus Al McKibbon and Jack Lesberg.

What a terrible year for Bassists.

At least we have their recordings to remember them by.

10. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    I first heard NHOP in the 1970's when I was starting out on DB. I thought to myself "It's going to be tough if everybody is this good!"
    Over the years I've been a devoted fan of Neils. If you want to hear sensitive playing check out "This is all I ask"... then tell me that NHOP is just a technical player!
    Richard

11. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Check this out:

What other bassist could play that head?

12. Tbeers,

UNREAL!!!!! Love It!!!:hyper:
    How did he ever get to that speed and still be able to have EVERY note so crystal clear to the ear?

13. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I just recently learned of NHOP. I was doing a search for jazz guitar music and heard samples from a CD by Joe Pass; "Chops". :eek: I've never heard anything like THAT before. Sure; I've heard amazing players like Bromberg and Patitucci, but THIS was different. His playing made me really listen. I was in awe. What an amazing musician and what a loss to the world of music.

Joe

14. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Great video clip! NHOP looks like he's just chillin' out. Not even breakin' a sweat.

Joe

15. The only recording I have is The Trio with OP and Joe Pass. Any other good ones I should purchase?

16. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bireli Lagrene's "Standards" is one I listen to often. That and the duet stuff with Joe Pass.

17. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Grab the DVD of OP, NHOP, and Ray Brown! Recorded live at Montreux in 1977, I think. Available from Amazon very cheap... awesome video... must buy.

18. Will,
    Don't Stop There!!!

CD's :-
    "Threesome" Monty Alexander/NHOP/Grady Tate
    "This Is All I Ask"
    " Those Who Were"
    "Friends Forever"
    "Trio NHOP " Ulf Wakenius / NHOP / Adam Nussbaum
    "Uncharted Land" selected players / Michel Petrucciani/NHOP
    "Elegies, Mostly " Dick Hyman/ NHOP
    " BEST " NHOP
    "Trinity " NHOP / Boulou Ferre / Elios Ferre
    "Homage "NHOP / Mikkelborg
    "Trio 1 "NHOP / Philip Catherine / Billy Hart
    "Duo 2 "NHOP / Kenny Drew
    "The Eternal Traveller / NHOP / selected players
    "The Viking " NHOP / Philip Catherine.

DVD's

ALL of the Norman Granz performances at Montreux
    I have the 8 DVD's in the collection and 6 feature NHOP along with Basie / Eldridge / Terry .... ALL THE GREATS / look at Amazon for full details.

"Kenny Drew at the Brewhaus"
    2 DVD's both feature Kenny Drew / NHOP /Alvin Queen
    GREAT PERFORMANCES!!!!!

"A Night In Vienna" OP/ NHOP/ Ulf Wakenius/ Jeff Hamiliton

"The Easter Suite " OP / NHOP / Jeff Hamiliton

These are a few of MANY worth looking for featuring
    "THE GREAT DANE " :hyper:

19. bago varna

bago varna

Oct 5, 2005
    Bulgaria
    I would quite as well point those,who would like to hear bome real musician`s interplay and such a joyfull virtuousity to search for NHOP recordings with the great Stephane Grapelli.

20. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    By coincidence I was just listening to the track 'Nuages,' researching others' treatments to enhance a guitar trio arrangement.

Of the many good versions I have, I particularly like the ones on Bireli Lagrene's "Standards" and Oscar Peterson/Stephane Grappelli's "Skol." NHOP plays on both of these - great performances, swings like crazy, and with very tasteful embelishments.

About the only Jazz I was exposed to as I grew up in Europe was Django and Stephane, so I've always enjoyed listening to that style of Jazz.

Andy