Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by wilser, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Back in 1993, right before I started college, I was hanging out with one of my guitar player friends at his house. He was 'forced' (because he was into blues ...I was into funk at the time) to give a listen to this Joe Pass record which featured this double bassist I had never heard of. It was Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen. The name sounded funny, but intriguing (because I had never heard a european bassist at the time). I took a glimpse at the track listing and there were some standards I was familiar with and because I had started to get an interest in jazz, I borrowed it (actually, I never returned it!). When I got home and played the record I was amazed at how much music was comming out of these two guys. The thing that amazed me the most was NHOPs ability to emphasize the harmony so much without playing more than one note at a time. I could actually tell which chord he was on just by his choice of notes! That inspired me to want to learn harmony and today I know what an A7#5#9 is and how it's used because of that inspiration.

NHOP was a bassist that inspired me to try to become a better musician. He made ME a better bass player. He will be missed, but his music lives on.

(I am not a double bass player, but I thought I'd post it here because of him)