1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NHOP

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by powermans, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Thanks to Bruce Linfield....Sussex. I was starting to think I was an ISLAND when I made the original comment regarding NHOP's sound .... I feel the same as you Bruce and , think that his sound is BIG! both LIVE and recorded. I immediately think of the DVD I have of NHOP with Kenny Drew at the Brewhouse doing "Blues in the Closet". From the moment the unit begins the tune... NHOP's sound all but pushes you across the room... you can almost chew on it! I just love it! :)

Mick Power

2. LeftyFenderJazz

LeftyFenderJazz

Aug 11, 2002
    New York
    any way to get a copy of that dvd of NHOP?

jack

3. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    This morning I was planning to revisit Lee Konitz Warne Marsh live at the Montmartre while riding my stationary bike, and didn’t get beyond the first tune. Konitz and Marsh always had high caliber bassists on stage for these live recordings. Of course I was mesmerized by the perfection of NHOP and had to listen once just to concentrate on him. And then Warne and Lee were playing their asses off that night...

4. You know that Lee died yesterday I suppose?

Paul New likes this.
  5. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    That drummer is killing me. (not in a good way)

6. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    That is a Dane, Svend Erick Norregaard on drums. He’s totally pushing the beat. I like it cause it is fun as a bass player to lay back (usually it’s me pushing the beat) and let the drummer swing the crap out of things. He does it pretty good. Totally fun and doesn’t speed everybody up.

Carl, is it the drum ‘fours’ that you do not like? He was playing ‘approximates’ not fours. Oh well. That I can understand not liking.

Actually I rather dislike playing a written out bop head as a tune and everybody soloing on it. That is lame to me.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    abaguer likes this.
  7. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    It’s not the “sort of” fours that bother me. Elvin does that all the time.

It’s just his time feel. It is tight, to the point of feeling constricting, and it’s not necessarily because it’s on-top. Jack DeJohnette has a very driving, on-top way of playing, but it is also loose and very swinging.

I realize likes and dislikes as far as feel goes are very personal, but, as a bass player, I’m already playing quarter notes. I don’t want to contend with someone playing their bass drum on all four throughout a tune. And, his ride cymbal pattern is mostly a lot of the same quarter note feel.

But, he is played with Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz, and I did not, so maybe I’m crazy. :bored:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  8. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    NHOP salvages the feel, for me. The drummer sounds wired but it works (for me) and Konitz and Marsh are having a good night.

Another Lee Konitz (RIP) with NHOP.

Martin Spure likes this.
  9. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    These cats are swinging........ I like it!

Martin Spure likes this.