Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Niacin!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Flatwound, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Goodness gracious great balls of fire! Saw Niacin last night in San Diego. I always thought Billy Sheehan was pretty unbelievable, but now I'm totally in awe. I still cannot believe what I saw. Niacin kicked off their current tour in this sleazy little dive here. Couldn't have been much more than a hundred people in the place, so we were all pretty much within a few feet of the stage. Billy is an amazing performer and used techniques I've never seen before. I still don't understand a lot of what he did.

So after the show was over, I took a Niacin CD I had brought along up to him and asked him to sign it, which he did. So I said, "Hey, Billy - can I buy you a beer?" and he said, "Yeah, actually, you can. No, wait - I'll buy you a beer!" Then he ran back to whatever passes for dressing rooms in this dump and got his cash. I protested, but he insisted. I don't really drink, so I got an O'Douls, but I thought this was a really cool experience, as well as a great show.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Billy is the coolest. Niacin is one of the shows I'm making time for this fall, which is extremely hard to do with two 6 mnth. olds! The last show on the tour (on the email) is in Cambridge MA.

3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah. I missed Claypool when he came to town, and I missed Govt. Mule, but there was NO way I was going to miss Niacin. All the guys were pretty nice, but I really wanted to talk to Billy.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Was Dennis Chambers on drums? I would love to have seen that show......all I have is the DVD:(

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, the dvd is cool, when you can't see them live - I hope they gonna tour Europe someday.

I just wish it were longer than 60 mins and had some bonus stuff.

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, Dennis Chambers was there. Wow. I'm running out of superlatives to describe these guys, but he was incredible, as you might expect.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It always amazes me when you go to a small club and you see the greatest players, and uptown there would be people paying 75.00 to see a group at Madison Square Garden the size of ants:confused:

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Don't know much about the group Niacin, but do you know if you take a couple of niacin pills and you're not used to them you'll get red and itchy all over. It's great if you have a girl/boyfriend handy to scratch you - used to do it when I was really bored.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That is very strange Joe.

10. I own ALL of the Niacin stuff and it just keeps getting better! Billy is my Hero!

11. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    hey Blisshead, I'm thinkin of checking out that show here on the 24th. Maybe I'll see you there.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hi!

Billy is the coolest. I grew up in upstate NY. His band Talas used to come through our town all the time. We would alter out drivers licences to make ourselves 18 yrs old to get in and watch him and Mitch Perry rip for a couple hours. They would do originals and covers. Wow. Till this day, I still think he is the best combination of talent and performer you will find. We would also walk into their dressing room and hang out. They never got mad at us and would even converse with us like we were old friends. He ever let me play his original Fender precision that was altered greatly and had most of the finish peeled off. Surprisingly, it played aweful with very high action. It's amazing he could do the things on it that he did. Great old memories

Rob

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, well, you know what I look like, if you see me come up and say hi. (My glasses don't actually change color) :D ;)