Nice acoustic basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K-Matic, Apr 21, 2005.

1. K-Matic

Apr 21, 2005
    Leeds, UK
    I had a quick search through the forums, and I don't think I'm covering too much old ground with this....:

I'm thinking of buying an accoustic bass, but as a long time punk/metal/prog-rock bassist with a hourse full of Ibanez and Cort basses, this really is out of my jurisdiction. I have no idea where to start, so I was hoping you kind people might be able to recommend a decent, resonably priced acoustic bass guitar.

My budget is pretty small, as I just want this for noodling about on at home (without having to strap in, plug in, turn on etc). Also, I'm UK based, so no telling me about great bass shops in LA, please :)

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    As far as acoustic basses go either go big or go cheap as the middle of the road ABG's aren't that much better for the money than the less expensive models
    On the high end I would recommend
    1. Taylor's acoustic bass
    2. Larrivee's acoustic bass
    3. Martin's acoustic bass
    4. Tacoma Thunderchief

On the low side
    1. Micheal Kelly's Dragonfly
  3. steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    micheal kelly, the thing just begs to be played, sounds great amped too
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1 on the Dragonfly. Even though Hammer considers it "low", it may just surprise you how much quality (quilted top, side and back + mother of pearl and abaloni inlays + Fishman pickup and preamp, etc, etc). Construction on mine is top notch and it's a real player, plus it's one of the most gorgeous AEB's that I've ever laid my eyes on! All of about $500 shipped??? SOLD!

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Some years ago (I'm thinking 9 years) I had need for an ABG and after playing a bunch of them (including the Martin and several Guild models), I found that I preferred a "good" Epiphone El Capitan. I say "good" because some of these were better than others, and the difference between the best and worst El Capitans I played was pretty huge. So, I bought the "best" one, and I have been fairly happy with it ever since. For your purposes, I think an El Capitan would do just fine, if you could find one at a fair price.

But I must add that after having an opportunity to briefly play through a Tacoma Thunderchief, I am thinking about perhaps upgrading to one of the nicer ABG's on the market today. The Thunderchief really impressed me, though the Taylor has had my eye for some time (never played one though). Any recommendations on what ABG would make for a meaningful upgrade from an El Capitan?

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, try a search on "ABG" - gobs of reading material out there to help you out!
  7. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    You can't go wrong with a Martin. Great company that makes fantastic instruments. Good luck with your search.
  8. K-Matic

Apr 21, 2005
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks for the replies, I'm off to try some out first thing tomorow.
  9. I wanted pretty much the same thing... just something to play around on... something I could take on holidays whenever I drive somewhere, etc... I'm pretty set for basses, so, decided to buy one of those cheapo german ebay basses... at first I was really disapointed in it, the finishing is terrible (its a "Keytone" bass), there was buzzing all over the fretboard, the strings were complete crap...

However, a turn of the Key, and new strings (Rotosound Preassurewounds) and it sounded completely different... still doesnt sound as good as a more expensive bass, but its perfect to bash around on. Also, the Piezzo and 4band eq is pretty nice... the amp throws off a nice full sound. Acoustic, it isnt HUGE sounding, but its nice enough.
    If you just want something to play around on, its a pretty cool bass... I probably wouldnt record with it though...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard alot of good things in regards to the Michael Kelly acoustic basses in that price range.
  11. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey K-Matic,

Get yourself along to the Bass Centre in Manchester.

Not only will you have the chance to play with as many acoustics as you want, you'll also be able to get out of Yorkshire for a while .... (only kidding, love the place really).

(ex. Manc)
  12. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    When I said "Low" I meant in regards to cost, not quality. I have own a couple of Micheal Kelly guitars and I am very impressed with the quality. that is why unless you are wanting to spend more than $1000 the Micheal Kelly is the only one that I would recommend
  13. rbachman

Jan 26, 2005
    How about "LEFTY" acoustic basses? Any ideas?