1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nice Amp but what dose it all mean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drunkenDAYlewis, Jul 9, 2014.

1. I've seen a hundred of them, RACKs. Cool points, professional points, intently tell how much a player loves to play.......

But what dose it all mean?
    Lately I've been rocking a Ampeg SVT-7 pro and a Ampeg BR-4 as a back up (because you never know on the road) and have always kept it simple.
    Amp, Cable, Bass......

I see a lot of other touring bassists (and guitar player for that matter) with the "Rack"
    To me it just looks like a liability and a way to make your rig more expensive, this of course is ignorance....
    Can you folks break down what bassist are using in their rigs? Because I have no idea what all of it is

2. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I am with you on that. For me, extra gear is a distraction.

drunkenDAYlewis likes this.
  3. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
  4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What it all is probably 1 Rack mounted Tuner 2 Rack mounted PreAmp, 3 The Evil or not Power conditioner with or without lights. 4 Rack Effects Module,5 Rack mounted Wireless rig ,6 Compressor,7 Power Amp what did I forget

5. So what dose all this stuff do then? I obviously understand power amps, wireless and tuner and stuff but what functionality do all these things have?

6. Tone shaping. It's no different then hauling a pedalboard but some guys prefer to have it all in one case.

To have everything hooked up at all times, one plug to the wall, one to the cab is a plus to me, though I'm not using rack gear anymore.

7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    It is not always about features, but performance. My rack rig has no more bell & whistles than many regular bass amps. Three band (sweepable) eq, gain, volume and a compression knob. Plus a useless bright knob.
    The thing is that it is sitting on a 2x1700 W power amp. Great sound, 2 Ohm capable, can do most gigs on one channel with the other as backup or for monitors etc. Much cheaper, too.

8. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    You're seeing doubles of everything In case of breakdown- effects that the bass tech changes during the set and wireless systems and direct boxes and pre-amps for FOH.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I went through a rack phase but I grew out of it. It used to be that the better outboard effects came in racks, the pedals couldn't hold a candle to them. That's changed, the pedals can do a lot more. Still the rack stuff is generally better.

10. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    CONVENIENCE!

Having a rack at eye level or chest level instead of bending down.

Easier way to plug in and play.

Not worrying about knobs being turned during transportation, loading/unloading.

Having a backup amp or preamp for peace of mind.
    (This happen to me, my Crown xls amp faulted out while my QSC plx kept my sound going)