Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice amp for a "begginer"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScJaxx, Mar 28, 2002.

1. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    first ill start by saying hello. this is my first post here on talkbass.com

now by "begginer" i dont mean brand new. i started playing bass about 6 months ago on a Squier P-bass (yea i know they are pretty bad, but it was free) i have a Fender Frontman 15B

now i recently got a Cort Artisan C-4, and i want a better combo amp. i havent got to the point that i want a stack yet. looking in the ranges of 300-450. im hoping to get it new, but if i find a good deal on a used amp, ill take it.

ive been looking at:
    Carvin PB200-15
    Ashdown Electric Blue 13015
    Ampeg BA115
    SWR Workingman's 10

its a 4 string (duh) so i dont need an amp that has a low B sound to it (yet:D). also i play different styles so i cant specify something like jazz, punk, or any others. i just started playing with a few of my friends bands, and with the Fender, im easily drowned out. just looking for input on which setup will be the "best". any info is greatly appreciated.

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hello there, and welcome to talkbass!

of the combos you listed, i woudl defenitly look at the Ampeg BA115. I have a carvin amp which is great for a 4 string, not so great for a 5 (RC210 combo) carvins stuff is built really well, and a steal in my opinion, but i have no specefic experience with that model or series. I have however played live through the Ampeg you have listed, and for its size it kicks! sounded much bigger than it actually is, and i would highly reccomend it. built well too. another good option is to go and see what you can pick up used at a local music store. check somethign out, note the price and the model number, and come back here and we will all be glad to advise you further. good luck!

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Hello and welcome!

Out of the combos you have listed, personally I would chose the SWR Workingman's 10. You may want to try the 12 (I currently have this model....it pushes more air than the 10 and the price difference is not too bad.) I feel that the SWR combos let the natural sound of the bass come out without extra coloration from the amp. But thats just MHO.

Like SRSiegel said though, you should definately check out what is available at your local music shop. And make sure you bring your bass....don't just take one off the wall.

Good luck!

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Peavey Combo 115.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i second the peavey combo 115

6. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    i am new to bass (again) as well... as i normally play guitar (appx 30 yrs). i was also in your price range, so i hope this helps. after trying several high end and low end rigs i recently decided to buy a Peavey TNT115 ($470 new out the door).

the more i play it the more convinced that it really is an awesome sounding and well built piece of gear.

5 yr warranty too

7. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Though I am not a big fan of Peavey, I used to play thru a TNT115. I would recommend it to you if your ear is not too developed. What I mean by that is when I first started playing bass, I cound not tell any difference between different basses and amps. They all sounded the same to me = BASS! I couldn't really trust my ears.

Well, after playing for several years, my ear can now tell the difference between gear and I know what sounds I like and what I dislike. If you are in this category then my advice (I may be wrong though) is not to spend too much until you can "hear" the difference between amps as well as basses. Check your used ads for a good deal but do research before you buy!

The Peavey is definetly LOUD for only being something like 100-150 watts and you should be OK for now as well as in your price range. The Peavey I played seemed to be a one tone amp. ALOT of bass. It doesn't have that much higher end clarity but you won't tell the difference at this point. Your Fender 15 is really meant for practice only or with an unplugged acoustic guitar coffee house setting. Try to get a minimum of 100 watts. This will be the minimum of what you need to get over the drums. Ideally, go for 200-400 watts. BUT, don't get too carried away and blow the grocery money on a new really expensive amp. You could get very hungry! :)

If your ear IS developed then...
    First: My apologies for my assumptions.
    Second: Try everything you can within your budget and trust your ears!

8. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    thanks for the info so far, im still looking into them all. although i did kinda give up on Carvin. and ive added the Peavey Combo 115 to my search list, as well as some Gallien-Kruegers (are they any good?)

loving bass:
    my ear isnt untrained, ive played on some good amps before. like our schools 600 watt stack, and some 200-300 watt cabinets also. i know where your coming from though, cause 6 months ago, i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between my fender and a nice 800w (thats exageration though:)) but thanks for the advice.

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Get something with 200 watts and a 15

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i don't have a lot of experience with gk speakers, but i can definitely tell you that their amps jam. peace

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think SWR stuff is great, but compared to the other ampos you mentioned, the Workingman's 10 is not going to be anywher near as loud. I would advise against it if you're going to play rock.

Of the amps you mentioned, I would go for Ashdwon or Ampeg. The recommendation for Peavey is good only if you can get it for much less money since it doesn't sound as good as the others.

Peavey makes a great first amp since they are great bargains. I bet you could find a USED Peavey TNT for $200 or less, so you could pocket the rest of the money towards buying a better bass.

In fact I recommend buying used amps period. In about 25 years of playing gigs I've only bought two amps brand new .

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Me, if I were you, I'd go with the Ashdown Electric Blue, or with a Peavey TNT 115 S.

All the best,

13. I have a SWR Workingman's 10.

I love the tone, size ect. It is great at home and works well where I can use the XLR out to a PA system. It really does put out the sound. In another location I play, a wearhouse, it is only adequate. I crank up to 50 60% volume. I don't connect to a PA, but the bass does blend with the electonic drums and guitar which does go th the PA. I think the wooden stage floor which definitly moves up and down with my weight helps project the low notes.

However, my son takes it to practive in a band, where the two guitarist crank up their amps with high distortion (in a bedroom no less). My son can hear himself but thats about it. He is not supposed to crank it up beyound 50%, but then I am not there to monitor. Anyway he loves the little amp.

I am looking for something larger for my use and his use though.

14. i just bought a used peavey 300 combo. i love it. i would recomend it. and i got it for 250 used!

15. jelloyacket

jelloyacket bass > guitar

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    bringing an old thread back up to the top...

I'm much in the same boat as scjaxx, looking for a smaller combo in the $400-$500 range. I'm going to be playing a 5-string through it, and it will be used mainly for on-stage monitoring in church (relatively low volume). The main thing I want is lower frequency extension for the B, not necessarily overall volume.

16. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    i bought one of these a year into my bassing experience. it worked great until the guitarists each got 4x12s. you can buy mine for 350! woop!sorry. anyway, just my 2 cents, i personnally enjoyed the b100r.

17. I have a fender bassman 100 and when i was first going to look for my first amp I was also looking at the Ampeg Ba115. I played both and i thought that the Fender Bassman 100 was a lot louder for having the same power rating. I've played with it for over a year now and I think it is a great amp. I never regret buying it. Just now I am looking for the bigger and better stuff.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

A couple of months ago I bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 130 - 15. I am blown away by this little combo!!! It is so light an portable - but crank it up and the 130 watts it has easily makes it a loud as combos that are physically twice it's size. IT also sounded really nice flat - ie plug ijn the bass, leave the EQ and boy what a sound! The Ashdown was bought as a portable option to my Trace stack, and has really impressed me!

The only other combo I've tried is the Peavey TNT 115. They are good amps for the money, have an output for an extension cab (the Ashdown doesn't). But they are a bit dearer (at least over here) and about twice the size of the Ashdown!