Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice arrangements!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Matthew T., Jan 11, 2003.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I just wanted to say thanks for arranging standards for bass guitar. I just got a Line 6 DL4, and have been using it to work on your arrangement of "Footprints." That's just such a cool tune.

BTW, I also bought a MTD Heir and, sure enough, they are awesome basses! The tone and playability are happening! Too bad no one in northwest Arkansas or Tulsa, OK, carries them. I do intend to spread the word, however. These instruments deserve a wider exposure.

When are you going to do some shows down here in the sticks?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Matthew,
    Thanks so much for your kind words. I am hoping to publish Volume 2 of The Chordal Approach, this summer. It will have actual arrangements (if I can work out all the license issues). I'm glad you like the Heir. I'll pass on the compliment to Mike Tobias.

Mike

3. I nearly started a new thread regarding your arrangements Michael, but just caught this one in time.

I really enjoy playing your arrangements of "Autumn Leaves" and "Misty", am now going to start working on "Footprints" next.

Now, I'm wondering if you can point me towards some other similar arrangements that you may have somewhere. Does your book "The chordal approach" include any? You say that you hope to include some in the 2nd volume, so from that, I'm guessing that the 1st volume doesn't include any?

Maybe you could point me to some chordal arrangements by other players that you like?

However, thanks much for the arrangements you have posted on your site. Great stuff indeed! :D

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    First, I'd like to thank you for your kind words and apoligize for not getting back to you sooner. It has been kind of crazy around here.

Anytime you want to print arrangements of others works, you need to deal with licensing issues - a real pain in the ass (not to mention the wallet). Book 1 does not have arrangements but is a good primer on developing your own, especially if you have worked through Autumn Leaves, Misty, etc.

Bassics Magazine (volume 30) printed my arrangement of The Shadow of Your Smile. The magazine includes a CD that has the tune on it (from my CD , "Big Droppins"). If yo have trouble finding the magazine, let me know.

I'm not too sure of others doing similar stuff to mine. I will be posting more at bassically.net including, in the near future, an arrangement of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition"

Mike