Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice basses at local shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by todd 4ta, Jan 1, 2004.

1. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    My local guitar store (guess what it is), has an incredible collection of used, high end and vintage basses right now. You may be able to figure out who's collection many of them came from (he is a local bass trader/seller)

I went in with my camera and took a few pics.

Here is a link to some pics Basses

There are basses such as Bossa, Neuser, Bluebond, Status, Ken Lawrence, R Bass, a Gibson Les Paul Sig, Goodfellow, F-Bass, lots of vintage Ken Smith, some Alembics, Tobias, vintage Fenders and a rack of G&L's.

I'm really only posting this since several of these basses are rare, and/or hard to find. If you live within a few hours of Indy you may want to stop by.

(I'm not associated with the store, and these aren't my basses on consignment or anything. I just started noticing the nice basses were taking the place over.)

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Dude, How much is that R Bass?? Would i be correct in reading $2999 on the price tag??? Also does anybody have any info on these basses. My local Store has one in Stock and i have no idea where they are made or what the actual value of it is!

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Yeah, you read correctly.

Some of their prices are off the charts...

There are at least two R Basses (that single-cut and the orangish 5 (33" scale I think), that next one with the wood pickup covers and curly top horn may also be an R Bass.

The builder of the R Basses is Ray Rogers I believe. He sometimes posts on bassgear with contact info.

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks for posting. All those "used & 4 sale" basses in one room!!!!:)

Who's basses were/are they?

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to own that KL 6 string!
    It's the best bass I ever own. I just couldn't get used to a 6 string.

6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Thanks for going there and posting the pictures!

There are a couple of basses hidden in the background that I am interested in!

Is this the store located on 8475 Castleton Corner Drive in Indianapolis?

My local GC has nothing close to this kind of stock.......

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Mines got: a few fender P's, fender J's, like a new one i haven't seen before(not that black one), Warwicks, Bc Rich's, Ibenzes, and tons of Squires, and a few epipphones

8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Many of these basses have passed through the hands of Daryl Jones (local Indy bass seller/trader). His site is here , but most of his good stuff is was sold to this store. The 33" scale R Bass is still on his site. Some of them were also at the Lowend at some point.

Yes, this is the Castleton Corner store in Indy. They claim to have the largest used & vintage inventory of any in the chain. I believe them. I've been to several others around the country and there's no comparison.

Which 'hidden' basses were you interested in? I wrote down info on several of the nice ones.

9. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    In picture GC_basses_02........

Is that a Carl Thompson 4 string?
    (between the Smiths and the R Basses)

In picture GC_basses_07b

Sadowsky Vintage 4.....

IN picture GC_basses_01

Lakland 5 string.....

I just might have to make a trip to the store, or at least make a very Important phone call!

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I think that the 4 that looks like a CT (w/the wood pickup covers) may actually be another R Bass. I'll have to turn the tag around to check.

The Sadowsky V4 can also be seen in GC_basses_06a. It looks like maybe a CAR body, RW board, no passive option. I think it was right around $2K.

All their Lakland prices were way off. The Skyline JO5 is priced at $1099 used, when I think you can get them new for less than that. I think that white Lakland in pic GC_basses_01a is actually a Skyline Darryl Jones 4,priced at $1099 used (real high).

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

12. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    todd 4ta,

Thanks for the info...........and the pics.

Now I have to wait till friday to speak to someone over there! GC is closed today.

13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yah another NAPTOWN talkbasser. I live about 10 minutes from there, youll have to hit me up sometime to go look at basses.

14. Foderas?!? I hate my GC...

15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    That'd be the response at most of the gc's i've been to.

16. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I can certainly appreciate the stock they have, but the prices are not only off, they are in some cases ridiculous....the Bossa is listed at $1499....$1499?!?! That is almost as much as it cost new. My local GC offered me $500 for mine. Also, I can't really see in the pic, but that Status, which is a bolt-on is listed at either $1349, or $1849, either of which is hilarious!!!! You can get one just like that from Status for about $1200...oh well. At least if you go in there, there are many nice basses to play. I also imagine they would haggle on those prices...

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    if you can please please see if you can get that bossa for around $900 tell me.....i want it soooooo bad..please help a bass brother out..

thanks
    steve

18. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    is this the same darryl jones that has a sig bass from lakland?? How come im all up in the music scene here and i never knew this guy lived here. If this guy is just a seller trader it might be cool to contact him and see some of his stuff at least.

19. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, I was just there a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by their inventory. My friend's a Les Paul fanatic and they have some incredible used gibsons and Fenders too. They have some gorgeous Alembics and I played a Sadowsky while I was there too. As far as prices, they do have some outragous stickers, but i've had some very good luck bargaining with them in the past. Even though this chain doesn't have a good reputation on this site, i've had nothing but good luck with 'em.

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've owned a few of those basses. Dave at the Indy GC is a great guy and buys quite a bit used high-end stuff. The Indy GC is the number one in the US for Used high-end basses out of all the GC's. Dave's a good guy to deal with.....

To bad you weren't there a few days ago before they sold the Benavente SC macc top. They had a 5 string a studio player, Steve Dokken, bought and trades another of his basses to have a 6 to match it built.

thanks for the pics......