Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice Cab and lesser amp or Nice amp and lesser cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Palomorado, Sep 28, 2004.

1. i was curious to get you guys' opinion of what i should do...

i was thinking of the following two rigs but i don't know which would be best.

RIG #1:

-Ashdown MAG 300
    -Schroeder 1210

RIG #2:

-Ashdown ABM 300

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i play passive Fender Jazz fretted and fretless and a passive Chapman Stick (Villex).

i do kind of Radiohead meets Tool meets 80's King Crimson meets Bjork.

thanks!

2. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    I would probably decide based on which of the "Nice" components you're more attached to. The idea being that you're probably planning on upgrading the less nice piece later and you don't want to be wishing you could replace both when that time comes. We'll call this picking the greater of 2 goods.

The other option is to pick the lesser of 2 evils. So choose the combination that you feel will "hurt" your sound the least.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've played my MAG 200 through my Schroeder 1210. Rig #1 would be my choice!

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can't lose with either of those rigs.

I heard two Schroeder cabinets on Sunday...a 1212 and a 1010. I much preferred the tone of the cabinet with the front firing 10...the upper mids were a lot more present and the cabinet didn't sound as dark overall. I really like Jorg's choice in tweeters...beautiful highs without any harshness (at least at the levels that we were able to achieve at a guitar show).

Not knowing the Ashdown product line too well, I'd put the cash into cabinets. Don't get me wrong, I love Avatar cabinets, presently own two (both B210s) have owned a bunch (C15 (pair), B112, CB115H, B212 (pair)). I was quite impressed by the Schroeders that I heard two days ago.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Both sound like great options. Have you heard both rigs? Does one sound better than the other?

I'd probably go with the nicer cab setup. If you ever decide to upgrade the amp, I think that'll be easier to sell (& ship!) than the cab.

Marshall

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Rig 1
    or a second hand head or preamp/power amp setup together with the Schroeder 1210.
    There's a lot of good deals these days on 2nd hand stuff and if it's not up to your taste you can always resell and try something else.

7. i was leaning to Rig #1.

it seems as if upgrading the amp in about six months would be easier.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I would say go with the better cab, rig #1.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for #1.

10. timibud

timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Colorado
    I'd probably go with the nicer cab setup. If you ever decide to upgrade the amp, I think that'll be easier to sell (& ship!) than the cab.

I have found this to be true! :)

11. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Go with a better cab.

12. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Eh, the dissenting voice. I'd always vote for upgrading a amp/head before cab. If you play live with PA support, it's often your head providing the PA with sound. If you play in rehersal spaces that provide gear, bringing a head to plug in to their crappy cabs is easy and brings huge sound improvements. If you record and want to run just from the head, you'll want a nicer sounding amp.

13. Good points by farboozle, but I would still go for rig #1. IMO it´s very hard to make a bad cab sound good, even with a good head with extensive EQ. OTOH, a good cab will sound good with almost any head.

Not saying that Avatars are bad (never tried them), but I feel that sonical differences between cabs are generally much greater than between amps. Differences between amps lie more in their output power and tone sculpting possibilities than their basic sound IMO. And if you have a really good cab, you don´t even need to tweak the sound that much.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Just remember, its the SPEAKERS which actually give your sound a voice.

Hmm, interesting... When I stand back & evaluate others situations, I'm quick to the real point of it... yet, I waffle so badly when deciding for myself... ***?!?!?!