Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice, clean sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BasStefan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

I think this is technique..

When i play, it always seems like the notes arent distinct and clear, it sounds dirty, like the notes i played previously are still ringing a bit. hows the best way to get rid of that? am i not fretting correctly? will a pickup mute help with that?

or is it my gear? i have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz and a Tech 21 Landmark 120. what settings helps

thanks a lot.

2. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes, it is technique.

Practice.

Seriously, a very important part of playing bass is knowing when and how to stop a note from sounding. This is accomplished by muting with your hands, both left and right, in a number of ways.

The mutes that many people use at the bridge are not so much for this purpose but to reduce unwanted harmonics. A heavily-muted bass will not sound so good unless you want that particular effect for a given tune.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    A schruncie just beyond the nut will certainly help.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It will help a little bit it won't cure the problem. In order to play open notes you have to have the scunci on so low that it won't really do a whole lot of muting. The best thing is to practice muting the unused strings.

5. My teacher has me switching RH technique to the point where I drop my fingers on the string below the one I'm playing (I keep them streched now, didn't use to do that). It's different, and difficult, but my sound is a lot cleaner because of the muting.