Nice, clean sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BasStefan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

I think this is technique..

When i play, it always seems like the notes arent distinct and clear, it sounds dirty, like the notes i played previously are still ringing a bit. hows the best way to get rid of that? am i not fretting correctly? will a pickup mute help with that?

or is it my gear? i have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz and a Tech 21 Landmark 120. what settings helps

thanks a lot.
  2. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes, it is technique.

Seriously, a very important part of playing bass is knowing when and how to stop a note from sounding. This is accomplished by muting with your hands, both left and right, in a number of ways.

The mutes that many people use at the bridge are not so much for this purpose but to reduce unwanted harmonics. A heavily-muted bass will not sound so good unless you want that particular effect for a given tune.
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    A schruncie just beyond the nut will certainly help.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It will help a little bit it won't cure the problem. In order to play open notes you have to have the scunci on so low that it won't really do a whole lot of muting. The best thing is to practice muting the unused strings.
  5. My teacher has me switching RH technique to the point where I drop my fingers on the string below the one I'm playing (I keep them streched now, didn't use to do that). It's different, and difficult, but my sound is a lot cleaner because of the muting.