1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nice Comparison Video of Fives: Peavey; Warwick; Dingwall; Music Man; LeFay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Dude has nice, New Metal sort of vibe to his playing.

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. Pretty cool. I've owned most of these basses except the last and I find this pretty consistent with what is shown in the video. I had a standard thumb NT , Cirrus Tigereye and a couple different Stingrays and currently have the NG3. The Cirrus was pretty versatile and polite sounding but a very good bass. The Thumb was nasal and tight which had a very specific appeal. Stingrays were always scooped and clangy to me. They felt good but I never dug the sound. The Dingwall NG-3 is very balanced and aggressive sounding with the Darkglass preamp. I love it because it has the hi-fi vibe of a cirrus but a bit more aggressive. I'm enamored but also it's my newest bass. My go to is a G&L L-2500 which does a little bit of all of these.

3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Nathan Navarro is a killer player, for sure.

What jumped out at me here is how unremarkable sounding the Stingray 5 is.

To me the NG3 sounded best overall, the LeFay has the best sounding neck pickup, and the Thumb sounds the best slapped. The other basses were just a bit vanilla.

4. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    NV
    Surprised myself - I liked the Cirrus best overall, Dingwall a close 2nd. I did like the Lefay with the drive though.

5. megaboogie

megaboogie

Jan 14, 2014
    DFW
    I was very surprised by the Peavey too, all around great sounding bass.
    I actually dug overall tone of the Lefay best but then I saw the price which threw me off a bit... still a killer sounding bass.