Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice Jaco-ish WAKE UP tune....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 17, 2004.

1. One for all you fretless muthas out there - this is off Laurence Cottle's website - Laurence is an absolute monster jazzer from the UK (he also does top flight sessions for Sting and Joe Zawinul etc.) he plays a fretless 5 string Wal - his tone and phrasing are simply huge - this is a great tune to blow out the cobwebs first thing and is suitably inspiring for us lesser mortals - listen here:

http://www.laurencecottle.com/music/media/LC-Basstorious-Notorious.mov

More similarly advance jazzy fusion bass stuff here:

http://www.laurencecottle.com/music/

He's just wicked!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen Laurence several times at my local Jazz club and many bass players I've talked to, consider him the best bass guitarist working in Jazz in the UK!!

I've got a "Hue and Cry" album (remember them!!) where Laurence plays some nice bass in a pop/rock/jazzy context for those who are frightened by "straight" Jazz !! :)

3. Bruce Lindfield

PS - I saw him playing a new Yamaha TRB5P and more recently he was playing a new custom instrument, made by a UK luthier (whose name escapes me) - who was at the gig in Brighton, hearing how it sounded!! ;)

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Very nice audio track!

I am aware of Laurence Cottle, but hadn't actually heard any of his playing until today (yes, shame on me!). Any albums that you can recommend?

5. Bruce Lindfield

For hearing how bass guitar can be used in a straight-ahead Jazz context playing standards, I recommend :

Martin Drew Quartet - "Got a Match"

Mornington Lockett - Sax, Gareth Williams- Piano, Martin Drew - drums and Laurence on BG!! :)

6. Trouble with Laurence is his solo stuff has suffered a little from crap record deals etc, but if you can find it there's an awesome jazz album by sax player Nigel Hitchcock called the 'Snakeranch Sessions' - this features both Donna Lee and Cherokee - that are just UN-frikkin-BELIEVABLE! The latter tune features this blistering unison part between him and Hitchcock on sax - simply breathtaking.

As for his solo albums '5 Seasons' is great - it sounds a bit 80s but his fretless work is astonishing - plus he did a bunch of albums with guitarist Jim Mullen - 'Rule Of Thumb' is a good one. Perhaps the easiest album to get hold of is a live one with Tim Garland called 'Playing To The Moon' - Laurence takes some great solos plus his backing bass lines are flawless - he also has a live quintet album out simply called 'LIVE!' but again you might find that hard to get hold of.

Hope that helps!

7. Bruce Lindfield

The Hue and Cry album is "Next Move " on Linn Records. :)

Also includes Tommy Smith and Brian Kellock - great Jazz players, as well!!

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm working on the 'standards' repertoire at the moment, so will keep an eye out for the Martin Drew and Mornington Lockett albums.

Of course, if I chance across any of Laurence's albums, I will be sure to pick them up.

9. Bruce Lindfield

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks Bruce - CD ordered!

11. check out his work on the albums with Itchy Fingers. Quark in particular redefined my way of hearing and thinking about bass. I can't play any of what he did on that disc, but YIKES!
    :eek:

his work in the band The Fents and on the soundtrack to Liebestraum will floor you, too.

from the lows,

Stew

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I do have The Fents' 1st disc...

"I Don't Want My MTV".
    Those guys were prophets!

13. Laurence is awesome - '5 Seasons' - his debut as a solo/leader has some urrterly ridiculous chops on it that by today's standards should put Laurie at the very top of the world's bass elite - he's incredible - and he sight reads fly-sh*t charts like he's reading nursery rhymes - and he has tone and touch too - but he's still quite obscure - any UK TBers reading this should check out his Big Band at Ronnie Scott's soon - he writes and arranges all the parts and Claire Martin sings great too - well worth seeing.

M