1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Nice Landing Custom L5, (NOW WITH CLIPS) Full-Scale 5 string, Natural Ash

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ibz, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Clips of this bass in action can be found in post #12.

Hello TB'ers this is a natural Landing Custom L5 full-scale fretted 5 string bass. Crafted by Jimmy Wilson of Landing Guitars in the USA.

Landing is a little better known for their boutique short-scale basses, but their L5 features a more normal, and familiar 34" scale. The full scale and string through body on the B make this 5 string have a surprisingly tight B. Because of the excellent construction of this bass the B isn’t floppy, and buzzing, but the bass feels more comfortable with the 34” vs. the longer 35” that you commonly see on higher end 5s out there. This IMO combined with the neck shape make this 5 more manageable to play.

Neck thickness is great wide enough for to give you room, but isn't uncomfortable for those with smaller hands. I feel nice and at home on this neck and I'd say my hands are about medium sized. EMG electronics give it both power and good tone, while maintaining low signal to noise ratio. Also, the thing that stands out on this bass is the quality hardware used, which make up a significant part of the overall quality and feel of this bass.

To see Landing's site go here: Landing Webpage
    Review (not mine) can be found here: Review
    Read comments people have been telling Jimmy (builder) about his basses: Comments

Features:
    · Body is a nice piece of solid, natural finished, Ash
    · Neck is Hard Rock Maple
    · Upgraded Ebony Fretboard
    · Gotoh 20:1 Compact tuners
    · Schaller Roller bridge (5 string)
    · String-through B string design
    · EMG BTC EQ with 18v circuit (Vol, Vol, Stacked Bass/ Treble)
    · EMG Dual Soapbar Pickups
    · Thick Ibanez Gig Bag with back straps

This bass plays quite well and is in real good, to great condition. No dings or scratches on the neck, but some minor rubbing on the back of the neck, and a smaller amount of localized scratches on the top right of bass. This small amount of wear was done the previous owner. However the rest of the body besides this is flawless, please see pictures for a better idea on condition.

New these can only be purchased direct from Landing for over $1400 by the time shipping is added. I'm asking $695 + reasonable ship. This is a great chance to get a killer handmade US bass for cheap! I'd be willing to deal internationally too.

This really a solid bass that's meant to be played, but unfortunately I have to part with it. Any questions please feel free to send me a PM or email me at erdawe@hotmail.com

Pictures:
    DSCN1048.
    Body Front 1
    Body Front 2
    Neck Front
    Neck Back
    Headstock
    Back of Body
    Full Standing
    Full Back Standing
    Small Localized Body Wear
    Body to Neck
    Gig Bag Full
    Gig Bag Straps

Thanks for looking!

2. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    PM sent

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    PM replied.

Still Availible.

4. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    bump for a killer bass

if I wanted a 5 fiver, this would be the one!

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks David.

Doh, bassmonkee you're right, this is definately not a Hipshot A style bridge. I was running down specs from the website and I'm surprised I didn't catch that when I listed it.

This bass has a Schaller 5 string Roller bridge, and this has been fixed above.

7. Bassmonkee -

Good catch -- I was a bit perplexed myself. That said, it's a beautiful bass -- I wish I could afford it!

8. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    is the fretboard ebony or rosewood?

david

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Price Drop!

I'll take $649.95, + free shipping for this to the greater US for TBer's. So, the price has been dropped over $80!

I'll still ship elsewhere.

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm willing to entertain offers now, feel free to shoot me a PM/ email and w'ell talk.

And this is up on ebay here:
    Ebay Listing

12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    For those that aren't quite sure what this bass can do, I posted some clips for you guys, it's really a nice versatile sounding bass:

*Recording notes and playing disclaimer at bottom of post.
    Enjoy! :)

Gruv Middle
    Both pickups, but volume halfway on each.

Jive Bridge
    Bridge pickup with no on board eq, amp flat. It probably could use a minor eq tweak, but I decided less colored is better for these.

Warm Walking Blues
    Neck pickup, smidgen of bass boost, finger technique nearer to neck. Who said EMG's are too aggressive, and sterile?

Slap G
    Pickups combined with slight bass boost, amp fairly flat.

*All clips running with the Landing 5 string through a Trace V-type preamp, a la Alembic F1-X, straight to digital recording.

*Disclaimer- Clips were recorded pretty quickly and without drummer/time keeper (unlike I'm used to), so apologies for slight inconsistencies that usually aren't in my playing.

13. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    how much does it weigh?

14. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.