Nice Laswell Article

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fretlessrock, Dec 31, 2005.

1. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks for that Pete! Laswell is one of my heros :cool:
  3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Same here, Jerry. BL is a bad, bad man :cool:
  4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for posting that. It's always interesting to hear what Laswell is up to.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I think Bill Laswell is only second to Mile Davis in the number of CD's & LP's in my collection.
  6. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    im another fan too.

ecstasis with nicky skopelitis is a great record
  7. Thanks for the info... Just put on "Hallucination Engines" by Material... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  8. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Thanks for the link. I just picked up Brutal Calling, which is credited to "Bill Laswell vs. Submerged" (Submerged was mentioned in the article) - I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't read the article! Some pretty trippy stuff. Laswell uses a wide range of sounds, from the subsonic dub bass kind of stuff to pitch-shifted/distortion solos. He even quotes the bass line from "Ife" from Miles Davis's Big Fun album.

In searching for information on the album online, I found this thread where Submerged himself comments, as well as the drummer mentioned in the article - looks like another album due out with Pete Cosey (who played with the Dark Magus - Pangaea era Miles Davis bands)! In fact, it probably already is out - I didn't have the patience to wade through more than 3 pages of the thread...
  9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I do like Laswell a lot. If you can get a copy Akira Sakata's '' from Downtown Music Gallery, do! Sakata (sax), Laswell (bass), Peter Cosey (guitar) + Hamid Drake (drums) - it kills! (IMO)

I've just got on a boot DVD 15mins of a 2005 Material gig taken from Japanese TV - Nils Petter Molvaer on trumpet- very cool.

I did send an email to Ohm Resistance, Submerged's label, a while back about the Kondo/Laswell/Cosey collaboration:

"Any idea what is happening with the new Brutal Calling album (Submerged, Laswell, Cosey, Kondo etc)?

Read this was coming out on Tzadik. Emailed them and they seem to know nothing about it."

The response:
    "yeh, actually "the only way to go is down" is now forthcoming on Sublight, and so in its stead for Tzadik Bill and Buckethead and I we're going to do a Death Cube K vs. Submerged CD

check Sublight Records at: for info about the new band that Bill and I are doing called Method of Defiance with drummer Guy Licata :)

I actually have to pick up parts from Bill tomorrow cos I think he is done recording his bass for "the only way..."

Soundclips from the new album are on the media page at Cosey doesn't seem to have made the final cut. Buckethead is on there though.
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    tabla beat science brought my two worlds together.:p