Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice Little Surprise and a Happy Ending!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Aug 21, 2005.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    So I get the last minute call for a gig, but my head is an hour away! I got the time, but the gas $$(the kind you put in your car this time), plus I've been needing a second head for these little club gigs I've been doing alot of.
    Long story short...I picked-up an Ashdown Electric Blue 180, played it with my S15d and it kicked butt all night. Things I like about it? Made in England(not CH!N@), plenty loud, sensible/workable EQ, a nice "lively" tone, and...............

...................$289!!!!!

Anybody looking for the "inexpensive-little-beater-amp-that-could", lowphatbass gives this little monster two thumbs-up!! I also think that the 180 watts it's rated @ seems alot like some of the 350ish rated heads I've played!!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    very nice.

the ultra small rigs like that are a thing of joy. any tiny head and small cab that will do the job make me smile. Before i had to sell my eden wt-400 that and my S15 did a lot of gigs, sometimes with the S15 replaced by an aguilar gs-112. these days i can still do coffee house type gigs with the S15 and my swr electric blue (no relation to your ashdown EB). I think the ultimate would be one of those walter woods high power heads and the S15 or the small cab of your choice. (actually one cat i know uses two bag end S10 cabs which are even smaller than epifani's 110 cabs. sometimes he uses an old H&K poweramp the size of a walkman and a semour duncan preamp pedal with the two cabs. Total weight - 35 lbs? - :eek: and it sounds good and loud)

3. Im not sure if it was that one or the one below it, is there one thats 150 watts?

but my friend had one, and i thought it sounded horrible, he never had a good sound, and i never managed to get a good sound out of it with my stuff either

might have been a one off tho

one thing i dont get is, why does it being made in england make it better than being made in china . . .

4. however, if it works for you, nicely done, and pretty cheap too :)

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have made the decision(along with MANY others)to try not to buy products bearing the mark "Made in China". I have nothing against the Chinese people, and I am certainly not a racist, it's more of a personal decision of how I want to spend my money, that's about all that needs to be said here bieng that political and economical discussions need not happen in this forum.

Great Little Amp Though!! 180watts.........drums, keys, two guitars and NO FARTING!! 180watts....wow.....I'm going to leave the price tag on for a while just to make me smile!!

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Well thanks for pi$$ing on my campfire!!
    (It's o.k., I would've done the same thing ;) )

Still a great amp for the $$$, jerk :D

7. No problem.. Anytime :)

If I was in a bind and really needed an amp, I probably wouldve done what you did.. Who knows, print that out and take it do the music store.. Maybe they'll price match.. If not, you tried..

8. fair enough, i just see that either way the electricity flows the same direction :)

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Nah, a deal's a deal. I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind paying a bit more to do business face to face, but I will say that the percentage here was a bit excessive. Shame on me for not researching, I'm usually more prepared and I wasn't really expecting to find anything I liked, I was fully expecting to walk out discouraged and drive to get my amp. What sealed the deal for me was the cab and bass I was using to demo the amp in the store. When I was done and reaching for my wallet I think my comment to the salesmen was, "A Turner bass and EA cabs...you guys could sell any amps you wanted to with that stuff!!". They both got kind of quite when I said that.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    damn $220 is pretty tempting just as a practice amp... hmmm.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea no doubt!!
    I'm pretty descriminating about tone and this little amp with the Bag End 15 sounds decent. $220 for the head and $371 for the cab, I really think one would be hard pressed to find a better sounding, louder, and more compact package for $600, new anyway. I haven't really checked out the combo market at all or tried any besides the occasional "plug-in" @ GC to finger a bass or two, but the fact that the amp is so inexpensive and the S15d is so flexible and usable in many other situations would make this kind of set-up ideal for those players not wanting to spend a fortune but needing something they can practice and do small gigs with, keeping in mind that they can incoorperate the cab into future rigs and won't lose a ton of cash on the "resell".

12. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I could use some input here.

I'm primarily playing URB through a hi-fi rig, but, for a particular blues/rock'n roll gig the AI Focus just aint cuttin' it. There's just no character or personality in that head (imho). I was going to buy an old standby GK400RB, but, this week I played through an Ashown Mag 300 and dug it alot.

My questions: is the MAG300H made in China, the Electric Blue 180 made in UK? If so, can anyone testify to the durability of the MAG300H as it compares to other Ashdown heads?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAG300H

It's a tuff call. Electric Blue 180 for $ 220 or MAG300 for $ 300. Generally, I'll pay more for the headroom, but, not for something that may break down easier.

Help!

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    As far as I am concerned both heads have the same warranty(except the used GK, of course). If you experience a problem you have a second head to get you through while things are hopefully getting fixed. My comments regarding the EB180's country of origin not bieng China have more to do with personal decisions(how I spend my $$)than reliability issues, but if I had to choose without these political burdens and purely from a quality control standpoint I would go with the UK every time.
    I've owned the faithfull 400rb and it delivered well in every respect. I would urge you to try the EB180 if possible. I am a headroom freak in every sense of the word and would have never even considered 180w, period, but this little amp has gusto and very honestly feels alot more like 350w than 180w.
    I'll also add that IMO, the 400RB is fairly suitable for crossing over to Double Bass work and performing "double duty", not so sure what the EB180 would be like as the sound is fairly "gritty", the EQ section may lack the age old refinement that the 400RB brings to the party. The 400RB's reliability is a proven commodity...I'm on my 4th or 5th gig with the Ashdown...Time will tell and I'll be sure to keep you posted.
    Good Luck!!

14. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the response. This brings up the other side of the equation, my cabs. Unless they sound bad together, I'll either use a Bergantino HT112 (8ohm) or an Acme B1 (4ohm). That said, the Acme will coax the most from the EB 180. Now if the Bergy sounds better with the 180, it'll only get fed roughly 90 watts? I've got a feeling that won't cut it, though I believe you about the headroom of the 180.

You bring up a good point about the GK doubling for URB. Very good point. This way I'm covered for all gigs if one amp dies.

Hmmph. I might want rethink things. Thanks again man.
    Btw, I understand the "China decision". I have friends in Michigan who only by American made cars. Take care.